• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 MLB Draft

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry the Internet at work just crashed so I am on the phone. Once corrected I will be back and will look up info

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bickford picked by Bluejays, on mlbtv they said he was a big frame projectable high upside guy.

Mets got Dominic Smith @11, I was hoping the Pirates got him at 14, he is suppose to have a massive upside.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bickford was another guy who was on a few mocks in the Giants territory.

Oh well, Gary Brown, Joe Panik and Chris Stratton were nowhere near anyone's target lists...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know the time frame for Dominic Smith? He's only 17, so probably minimum 3 years. Was hoping for somebody that could make an impact a little sooner.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know the time frame for Dominic Smith? He's only 17, so probably minimum 3 years. Was hoping for somebody that could make an impact a little sooner.

It is hard to say. I think they need to get him signed and get him in the minors somewhere but you have to think 2 years most likely.

Sounds like he has the goods.

I will post baseball americas scouting report on him when I get home if it works.

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be interested, but I would guess that is a bit of work, so do as you would.

If you could make a point of posting pick #25, though, that would be especially appreciated :)

Sorry for the delay but I have had a terrible time with the site yesterday/today

Here is Baseball America's scouting report on the Giants picks:

Christian Arroyo:
Ranked #102 in Baseball America's Top 500.

If former Yankees third baseman Scott Brosius ran a draft room, he'd likely pick Arroyo very high. Brosius coached USA Baseball's 18-and-under team last summer, when Arroyo led it to a gold medal as the shortstop, top hitter and tournament MVP. He carried that confidence into the spring, to the point that it turned off some scouts, who see a below-average runner and modest athlete who profiles best as a catcher. At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Arroyo has surprising pop and grades out as a solid-average hitter if not a tick better. He wants to play shortstop and has excellent hands, a quick release and instincts that allow him to make all the routine plays and some spectacular ones. Still, few scouts see him as a shortstop in the big leagues. Those who don't think he can catch see him as a tweener, not quick enough for second and not powerful enough for third base. Arroyo is a Florida recruit.

Ryder Jones:
Ranked #197 in Baseball America's Top 500.

Jones has spent plenty of time around the game with his father Billy, a longtime college assistant who got his first head coaching job at Appalachian State. Ryder has performed well no matter where he has played, whether it was in the Northwest, Oklahoma or now North Carolina. He plays shortstop in high school but will move to third base because of his lack of speed and range. He has plenty of arm strength and can be a good defender at the hot corner. He has a big frame with room to add strength at 6-foot-3, 185 pounds and projects to have at least average power. He lacks bat speed, which brings up questions about his overall hitting ability. He is committed to Stanford but may be more signable than the typical Cardinal recruit. His talent would fit in the fifth or sixth round, which would not be enough to buy him out of Stanford. Jones also has the fallback of moving to the mound, where he shows a fastball in the low 90s and sharp slider.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013 MLB Draft: First Round Analysis - BaseballAmerica.com

best free scouting stuff I could find ^^

11. NEW YORK METS3ds_mets79
PICK VALUE: $2,840,300

DOMINIC SMITH, 1B, SERRA HS, GARDENA, CALIF.
Area Scout: Drew Touissant

PICK ANALYSIS: One of the best pure hitters in the draft class, the Mets continue to go with high-upside players in the first round.

dominic-smith-2013-hfSCOUTING REPORT: Smith has been a big name in the Southern California prep ranks for years, and he has justified the hype by continuing to perform at a high level as a senior. He has an innate feel for his barrel, a relaxed approach and a pretty lefthanded stroke, causing most scouts to project him as a plus hitter in the big leagues. He still wastes at-bats and chases at times, and he can get caught on his front foot, but he has the bat speed and hand-eye coordination to get away with it at this level, and he has the aptitude to make adjustments. As he spends more time in the weight room and learns to stay back and use his lower half better, he figures to hit for plus power. Smith’s other plus tool is his defense at first base, where he has soft hands, quick feet and great instincts. He can touch 90 mph off the mound, and his arm plays well at first base. It doesn’t work as well in right field, where he is more of a fringy defender with below-average speed. But he can be a Gold Glove defender at first base with enough offensive potential to make him an all-star. The game comes easily to him, and he is so smooth sometimes that he can almost look nonchalant, but scouts rave about his makeup and work ethic.

WHERE HE FITS: Smith’s hitting potential may outweigh Gavin Cecchini’s overall upside, he’s that good of a hitter. Either way, Smith should rank in the top three in the Mets’ system when he signs.

I think its only free for first round.