• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013-2014 Offseason Speculation

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade Boyle now and maybe Pavelski too (as he is in the group also of slowskis that were traded midseason) . One of the big 3 needs go since they will all be UFA's after next season, correct?

Also, I don't see the Sharks competing with the Kings in the near future so I think it is rebuilding time. They got close, but....

Look at the Kings, they have the offensive dman (Doughty), maybe two now (with Vaynov), goaltending (Quick), great captain (Brown), even a secondary captain type (Richards), snipers (Carter, Kopitar), and great role players (Stoll, Williams). Even a great coach. Kings are perfectly built for awhile longer. Might as well get the pain of restocking a franchise in desperate need of it now while the Kings are making their run of dominance.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon, can you briefly explain the NMC/NTC that Boyle, Thornton, Havlat, and Marleau have? The way I understand it is that Thornton, Marleau, and Havlat have veto power on ANY trade with the other 29 teams.

Boyle has to pick 8 teams that Doug cannot negotiate with. That means there are 21 teams that Doug can trade Boyle to and Boyle has no veto power with these 21 other teams.
Is this correct?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cmon, can you briefly explain the NMC/NTC that Boyle, Thornton, Havlat, and Marleau have? The way I understand it is that Thornton, Marleau, and Havlat have veto power on ANY trade with the other 29 teams.

Boyle has to pick 8 teams that Doug cannot negotiate with. That means there are 21 teams that Doug can trade Boyle to and Boyle has no veto power with these 21 other teams.
Is this correct?

Thornton and Marleau have full NMC's meaning they cannot be traded or put on waivers for any reason without their consent.

Havlat has a full NTC which means he cannot be traded to any team without his consent but he can be put on waivers.

Boyle has a limited NTC in which Boyle and his agent must submit a list of eight teams he will not accept a trade to. Wilson is free to negotiate and trade Boyle to any of the other 21 teams without consulting him further.

EDIT: Capgeek lists Havlat with a NMC as well but I'm pretty sure Pollak clarified that it's actually an NTC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just to add, Boyle's list was submitted prior to the start of the year and remains valid until the league year officially ends which is July 6th his year.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any more official boo boo reports out yet? I find it hard to believe there wasnt something wrong with Josephine not poovelski he's just a chicken shit i think he's actually becoming the next Nils Ekman

sjsharksfan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would trade Boyle for a young winger that can score goals. Our defense is pretty much set for many years to come, lots of young talent. Burns (if he goes back to D), Irwin, Demers, Braun, Vlasic. Solid young core right there. Stuart is signed for a few more years and he had a solid season.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dreger is speculating Malkin will be available if the Pens don't come back and make the their series against Boston close.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I am shocked they would let him go. I wonder how much of that is performance related and how much is the cap dropping.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow, I am shocked they would let him go. I wonder how much of that is performance related and how much is the cap dropping.

If they get swept I think it's a safe bet there will be significant changes. Coaching, defense, and in net all need major changes. What Malkin brings in would go a long way bringing in help in those areas. He's been the Pens best player more often than not so I think it's more about moving a strength of the line up to maximize return.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couture, Pavs, Braun + 1st
or
Couture, Burns, 1st

for
Malkin

Not saying the Sharks should do that, but that's what I think it would take.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Couture, Pavs, Braun + 1st
or
Couture, Burns, 1st

for
Malkin

Not saying the Sharks should do that, but that's what I think it would take.

I think it would be something more like:

Vlasic + Pavelski + Hertl + 1st

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fucking way. No thank you.

That's ridiculous.

Don't want Malkin. Let him go play in the KHL for $15 million/year tax free.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be something more like:

Vlasic + Pavelski + Hertl + 1st

Wow that's it? If I'm PIT GM, I don't talk to Doug unless Couture is in the conversation. No Couture, no deal. I'd imagine PIT wants to quickly reload for another run. In that case, Hertl and the 1st rounder are "worthless" imo.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fucking way. No thank you.

That's ridiculous.

Don't want Malkin. Let him go play in the KHL for $15 million/year tax free.

Just noticed that Malkin has one more year on his current deal. That lowers his value a bit so the trade Cmon suggested makes more sense than what I suggested (including Couture).

Although I'm excited to see Hertl and the 4 soon-to-be-selected prospects from this year's draft build the foundation for the next decade, it makes some sense to pursue this because Malkin's deal expires the same time as Marleau and Jumbo. Malkin can anchor the next 5-7 years, taking the salary slot of PattyJo, or just one of them.

We know Doug. He gets superstars by trading for them, not UFA signing them.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And also, how many Russian players has Dougie signed in recent years?

Malkin to SJ has absolutely zero chance of even becoming a thought in Dougie's brain... thankfully.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And also, how many Russian players has Dougie signed in recent years?

Malkin to SJ has absolutely zero chance of even becoming a thought in Dougie's brain... thankfully.

Two receintly. Drafted Sobchenko (RIP) a couple years ago and signed Tarasov this season.

Rares you should know by now if there is a big name available Wilson will make a play.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two receintly. Drafted Sobchenko (RIP) a couple years ago and signed Tarasov this season.

Rares you should know by now if there is a big name available Wilson will make a play.

Fair enough.

And, yeah, unfortunately... Ugh.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they need a goalie, we have a couple young ones...

My biggest worry is giving up the necessary assets and then he decides not to re-sign after next season.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For the third offseason in a row, Evander Kane anyone? Apparently he went on a twitter rant yesterday.

EKane9Jets said:
"For everyone asking why I don't care to watch or talk about the NHL playoffs. I'm not playing in them, I can't win this year, CONT:"

'So I don't care! Next year will be a different story! You can count on that.'

"I'm sick of sitting here at this time of the year not having a chance to win, not scoring goals, not winning games and not winning rounds"

"It really pisses me off and I'm done with these kind of results. It's time to start winning and it's starting now."