• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013-2014 Offseason Speculation

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Coming from Kurz that means Gomez has already resigned and Torres is exploring his options

Here's to hoping dwill going to bat for Ralphie pays off with some loyalty

snowsurfer13sss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Really hope we get Torres back. Hopefully DW noticed that we need more players that play with an edge. Hopefully we can pick up another guy that wants to hit everything on the ice.

snowsurfer13sss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Adam Burish has a plate and 8 screws in his hand after 1st round injury. They will remain in. - Brodie Brazil.

Damn Burish is a bad ass for coming back so quick.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is one big wild card that works in the sharks favor with the cap reduction:

There are a whole slew of teams that are cap strapped and will have sufficient trouble just resigning their own RFAs. There are also no top pairing Dmen on the UFA market. Why are these two facts so helpful? Because there will be a big market for boyle, and any team that gets him will have to eat his 6.7M salary and will unlikely be shopping much in the UFA market, but that would give the sharks over 14M in cap space with NO major RFA's to resign.

In other words, the number of teams bidding for UFA's this year will be far less and the salaries they can throw at them will be less. Trading boyle gives one less team to compete with, hopefully gets a very nice return, and gives the sharks a ton of space to land some of the top UFA's. I think this is the one year where dougie could be aggressive in signing UFA's to long term deals at good cap numbers if he plays his cards right.

Torres at 2.5M, Clarkson at 3M, Raymond also 3M, Stalberg 3M, Bickell or Fullpula 3M. Thats 14.5M for 5 top 9 forwards and would fit with a havlat buyout if dougie chose that route. All deals between 2-4 years. The D would be thin and we might have to see if a doherty, abelshuser, acolatse or the like can compete for a spot, but that could aid in creating a solid young D for the future and all of those UFAs aside from torres are in their 20's, so they should be good for at least 3-5 more years.

Top 9 Forwards would be:

Thornton, Marleau, pavelski, couture, stalberg, clarkson, torres, Raymond, and Bickell. Can fill it out with galiardi, desi, gomez and shep as the 13 forwards on the roster, which provides nice depth in case of injury or suspension.

Thornton-Stalberg-Bickell (3 biiiig bodies who can grind cycle and score with the two hawks)
Couture-Marleau-Torres (speed line with Torres as protection to do the dirty work)
Pavelski-Clarkson-Raymond (toughness and grit with some scoring punch---> This is a very good 3rd line)
Gomez-Galiardi-Desi (solid 4th line, though not much for production likely)

Burns would return to play D and the corps would be:

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Irwin
Hannan (resigns at 1M)-Braun
Demers

Obviously, it would be rough to lose boyle and would make an opportunity for the sharks to bring in some rooks to see what they can do. I like that roster, personally, and I think the scoring depth with galiardi able to jump back into the top 9 as needed would make the sharks hard to handle.

The lack of a third line obviously hurt the team, so they could parlay boyle into multiple key pieces for the future and use their cap leverage to land some solid UFA's as respectable prices.

Good point about the lack of Dmen in this UFA class. That will do wonders for Boyle's trade value.

Some forwards that intrigue me:
Michael Ryder
Nathan Horton
Viktor Stalberg
Chris Higgins

If Burns stays at forward and Boyle is traded, Sharks will need two Dmen. I want a puck mover and/or point shot from the left dman position. Then, a RH shot to replace Boyle.
Lubo Visnovsky (LD)
Mark Streit (LD)
Jordan Leopold (LD)
Ian White (RD)
Marek Zidlicky (RD)

Stalberg-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Havlat
(forward in Boyle trade)-Pavs-Torres
Sheppard/Galiardi-Desi-Burish/Wingels

Vlasic-Braun
Stuart-White
Streit-Demers
Irwin/Hannan

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe Torres will resign for a good deal. 2 years 2M per would be a steal. After he came, the sharks were a faaar better team. he made a tremendous difference. You never know what would have happened if he wasnt suspended, but I feel its worth the risk of future suspensions.

My priority this offseason is to restock the farm and get younger though. The sharks havent developed a legit top 9 forward other than cooch in the last 5 years or so (ginner was close, wingels not so much, seto was the last one). That's thin thin farm. They also havent developed a solid 2-way dman as braun and demers are not there and irwin is very unknown as of yet. With DW's allegiance to his vets, I worry that he will ride the jumbo-patty-boyle train into the ground. I am hoping that dougie realizes that he has got to start turning the page and getting some good prospects and young players on this team. His 4 picks in the top 2 rounds helps, but I wouldnt mind him moving a vet piece to add another pick or two in the early rounds. While I'd love them to be competitive next year, I am more interested in them being dominant 2 or 3 years from now and creating a dynasty of competitiveness through the draft.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would really love to see jumbo, patty, and boyle moved. Can you imagine the incredible return the sharks could get? We're talking a 1st rounder and top young player for each.

4 1st rounders, 3 2nd rounders, 3 top young studs added to the organization. Yes, they might (OK, will) struggle for a year or two, but they will be the class of the league for a generation starting in a few years.

I know its not coming, so hopefully dougie have get some quality in this draft. Somehow, the sharks are gunna need to bring up some key guys within a couple years. Hopefully Hertl can be one of those guys, but given the lack of talent in the farm below hertl, the sharks really need to land some studs this draft.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see Boyle being moved, but not PattyJo. Fans will not re-new tickets if those two are traded. It's a business, first and foremost and trading those two will make a lot of season ticket holders unhappy, but I do agree that trading those two would be a HUGE step towards injecting some young talent into the prospect pool.

I hope that Doug can find the right balance in planning for the future, and being competitive in 13-14.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can see Boyle being moved, but not PattyJo. Fans will not re-new tickets if those two are traded. It's a business, first and foremost and trading those two will make a lot of season ticket holders unhappy, but I do agree that trading those two would be a HUGE step towards injecting some young talent into the prospect pool.

I hope that Doug can find the right balance in planning for the future, and being competitive in 13-14.

Season ticket holders had to already pay up, so that's a non factor.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season ticket holders had to already pay up, so that's a non factor.

Gotcha, whoops. I guess my point is, trading those two will hurt ticket sales as it shows the team is going into rebuild mode. What the Sharks get back for trading them will not help them in 13-14 and will be a regression in talent at the NHL level (prospect pool will get a huge boost).

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope Doug starts early and not lag on UFA day.

Sharks need a PURE RW not a right handed center

Secondary RW that is a right handed

Depth forward

Dman

Back up Goalie

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of IF Doug was interested in bringing back past Sharks?

Malhotra UFA
Heatley *if Wild buys him out
Nabby UFA as a back up.

I know Stalock will be the back up, but wouldnt it be nice if we had a proven vet as a back up?

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do the Sharks plan on doing with Burns?
*to me that is the key to this offseason, this needs to be addressed first.