• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013-2014 Offseason Speculation

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I understood your post, the issue is that right now they have BOTH jumbo-patty-boyle AND cooch-pavelski-burns and its still not nearly enough as they havent really approached a cup with those 6 guys now on the team for two years. Hell they barely even made the PO's with those 6 guys let alone be a top seed and real contender. As the big 3 fade into the background, they need equally potent players coming up, but they just dont have 'em. That's what I was meaning...

You are dead right about the risk regarding top picks. They definitely dont always work. Where's wishart? Petrecki? Bernier? Kaspar? and several other 1st rounders that just didnt pan out. I agree that it's no guarantee of success even with those deals, but it's a bit of a numbers game. The more good picks you have, the more likely to land a solid farm. And, the only way to get lots of solid picks, other than sucking for years, is astute deals. Look at the Hawks this offseason... They traded several very good players who had higher salaries to land a bevy of picks. Why? because they know they are victim of thier own success and will quickly fade if they dont keep the farm going. It remains to be seen if that strategy pays off, but it is the only way good teams remain good (other than superstar drafting in the mid-late rounds like dats and zetts, but that's tough to hope for.

that's why I would rather take some risk on the picks for the chance of a cup a couple years down the line and pray that some UFA's could work out to keep the team competitive while the cupbaord is restocked.

BTW, I have also heard of all the UFA's dougie failed to land. BUT, I also hear the perennial rant against UFA's that dougie makes about how that is when the biggest mistakes are made, so personally, I dont think its an issue of players not wanting to come (aside from select situations like neidermeyer with his bro) but instead that dougie really doesnt philosophically believe in signing brand name free agents. He has never signed a single one that wasnt already in the organization (I think). You look at other top teams and they often have (Hossa campbell this year, scuderi, Mitchell for LA). The sharks have added only crappy guys like zues and burish for horribly inflated deals that have clearly not worked. I guess Nemo could be said to be good, but obviously dougie only looks for 4th line role depth, so I dont buy the notion that dougie is a real bidder and simply loses. I think he avoids the table...

Im only going to address the Hawks thing, and that they are victim of piss poor cap management and it was the biggest reason why Dave Tallon is in Florida now. The Hawks have been trading off the bottom half of their line up, not anyone of importance like a sharp or a hossa. I mean the Bolland deal was good for the Hawks but Dave Nonis is a shit GM. The picks for Kane,Toews,Seabrook, and Keith were all through the Hawks sucking for decades. Sharp was acquired in trade from Philly for Booby Clarke so good for the Hawks for getting over lol The only 2 marquee guys they got in UFA was grossly overpaying Brain Campbell and Hossa who wanted to go to Chicago.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just to add to the difficulty of signing any notable UFAs, I think the last big name UFA to sign to the 'west coast' was Dan Hamhuis. It just so happens he comes from VAN so even then there was an underlying reason why the guy went west. I'm not sure how the behind the scenes aspect to drafting is, but Doug should take all the money that would be spent overpaying UFAs and dedicate it to the scouting department...

Plattner has already addressed this to some extent. I don't know if it's updated on their website but the Sharks doubled their European scouting staff early to mid season this last year. They've increased their scouting staff enough so they can track analytics at all levels not just the NHL. IMO the biggest change has come in what they value in a draft pick. While hockey IQ and hockey sense still trumps all they've begun to value skating and stick skills much higher than size and strength as secondary attributes.

I know for a fact Vrbata, Neidermeyer, and Chara all publicly said the sharks offered them over what they signed for.

I dont know how i feel about that for an aging Thornton, I cant see the need for Gardiner, Colborne to much of a crap shoo(admittedly i know little nothing about him other then he is tall). Kadri seems like Steve Bernier maple leafs style for everything ive read about him. But your right its atleast worth kicking the tires over.

I'm not a big fan of Kadri either but if you give him quality wingers and sheltered minutes he can be a very productive 2nd line center. Gardiner I'd take in a heartbeat. He's a legit top four dman that would make Boyle expendable.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plattner has already addressed this to some extent. I don't know if it's updated on their website but the Sharks doubled their European scouting staff early to mid season this last year. They've increased their scouting staff enough so they can track analytics at all levels not just the NHL. IMO the biggest change has come in what they value in a draft pick. While hockey IQ and hockey sense still trumps all they've begun to value skating and stick skills much higher than size and strength as secondary attributes.

Please link to any news like this in the future Cmon. It would be greatly appreciated and is extremely relevant to the future of the franchise. This is great news to hear that they have expanded their scouting coverage overseas. If the can't sign those UFAs, they better invest in scouting. And if it's skating and stick skills that they value, then get some eyes on those Euros. Good stuff.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Please link to any news like this in the future Cmon. It would be greatly appreciated and is extremely relevant to the future of the franchise. This is great news to hear that they have expanded their scouting coverage overseas. If the can't sign those UFAs, they better invest in scouting. And if it's skating and stick skills that they value, then get some eyes on those Euros. Good stuff.

It was linked but I don't remember what thread. It was part of one of the interviews Plattner did after the announcement he was the new majority owner. There was also a recient interview with Sharks scout Brian Gross that went a little into the expansion of the scouting department and the addition of analytic tracking at the CHL level.

thepipelineshow.com

It's a 3 part segment.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I'm not a big fan of Kadri either but if you give him quality wingers and sheltered minutes he can be a very productive 2nd line center. Gardiner I'd take in a heartbeat. He's a legit top four dman that would make Boyle expendable.

Arent the leafs up against the cap or close to it, i know theres talk of them not being able to afford Fronson and Kadri is up for a contract next season? Or now

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Arent the leafs up against the cap or close to it, i know theres talk of them not being able to afford Fronson and Kadri is up for a contract next season? Or now

They have about $5.5m in cap space with Franson, Kadri, and Komarov left to re-sign.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They have about $5.5m in cap space with Franson, Kadri, and Komarov left to re-sign.

So the Thornton trade seems more like a pipe dream lol, cap wise it wouldnt work, they would have to dump another roster player unless Gardiner is currently with the big club as oppossed to the marlies

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So the Thornton trade seems more like a pipe dream lol, cap wise it wouldnt work, they would have to dump another roster player unless Gardiner is currently with the big club as oppossed to the marlies

That trade was proposed after the draft and before the free agency period opened up so they hadn't signed Clarkson or re-signed Bozak at the time.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M.Raymond, will decide where he wants to sign soon.
Per HOCKEYBUZZ.COM :suds:

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Boyle retire a Shark, as long as he keeps producing and that production warrants whatever extension he gets, of course. I always thought that Boyler should be the captain of this team, I love the guy and with reduced minutes he should be more productive. However, I am failing to see where his minutes would go if they were to be reduced. If Burns makes the career move to forward, they will have no choice but to have Boyle out there at least 23 minutes per game, right? I'd like to see him down to 20 minutes to keep him fresh and productive throughout the season. Hopefully Braun can shoulder more of the load but it goes without saying, the offensive input from the blueline will take a hit.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Boyle retire a Shark, as long as he keeps producing and that production warrants whatever extension he gets, of course. I always thought that Boyler should be the captain of this team, I love the guy and with reduced minutes he should be more productive. However, I am failing to see where his minutes would go if they were to be reduced. If Burns makes the career move to forward, they will have no choice but to have Boyle out there at least 23 minutes per game, right? I'd like to see him down to 20 minutes to keep him fresh and productive throughout the season. Hopefully Braun can shoulder more of the load but it goes without saying, the offensive input from the blueline will take a hit.

It's a bit of a shame Burns will stay at forward. Larry Robinson could have helped his game elevate.

What if leaking info like this on purpose sets up a case where the Sharks trade Boyle and not have blood on their hands because, hey, it looks like they tried to re-sign him.

I love Boyle's competitiveness and that would be a big contribution from him. It's important that if he stays, he has a sound defensive partner from here on out. I don't think Irwin can be that guy.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Doug is waiting for all three vets to re-sign, then announce them all at once.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think:.....any names that might get a invite to training camp?

........Boyle should be resigned and then retire as a Shark. At this time we don't have better options and I don't see Doug getting a deal for Boyle that will blow him away :noidea: . Doug is entering this season with the hopes that Havlat can return and be healthy, :doh: which is a slim to nothing chance. :pray: I'm hoping Doug can strike gold and pick up a invite miracle that fits in our top 6 group.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching this video I can't fucking wait for hockey season to start.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great video, despite the painfully obvious East Coast bias. For a minute there I thought it was a Canadiens, Bruins, Canucks montage haha. Thanks for sharing Slimp.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seeing lots of reports that Wellwood has accepted a camp invite to San Jose. A couple other vets have supposedly been extended invites as well but no other specific names mentioned.