• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013-2014 Offseason Speculation

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not overly shocking TJ must be asking for big numbers, question remains is Kennedy that much of an upgrade? He hasn't been right since his concussion

Could TK just have been a bit intimidated or overwhelmed with the amount of talent it PIT? Maybe a change of scenery is all he needs.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Could TK just have been a bit intimidated or overwhelmed with the amount of talent it PIT? Maybe a change of scenery is all he needs.

I think it's like Clowe honestly, ever since Clowe got knocked out by Ryan Malone he was never the same player. Kennedy seems to be the same way

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't expect the Galiardi negotiations to go well. He went to arbitration last time and with an increaced role on the team this year it was bound to go down hill.

Oh well he isn't worth more then a mil a season send him to Phoenix or winterpig

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We'll see... Kennedy is young, so he could be solid. The problem is that if its kennedy in place of galiardi then maybe its a slight upgrade but not worth of a #50 pick and a much higher salary (he'll cost at least 2.5M per I would think). it's just not great unless dougie thinks he can keep both gali and kennedy by using the LTIR space...

If we could hit rewind it sure woulda been nice to see dougie do the following:

1. draft shinkaruk in the first round.
2. Trade the #58 and 49 to move up the 37 and snatch zykov. (since it cost LA #88 and 96 to move up 20 spots, I would think that #59 to move up 12 spots is pretty much right).
3. use the #50 pick on Madison Bowey or Heatherington.

if the sharks did that, they would have walked away with two of the top forward prospects in the draft. Both are a little risky, but would have really really high ceilings. Then they get the steady Dman in the 2nd round and as well as the nice 5th round dmen. I would feel really comfy knowing we had two elite forward prospects in the system in addition to Hertl, and with Tierney, nieto and the others already picked, the future up front would look pretty good. Now, we added just one legit forward prospect who really looks like a long shot. Yes they got a solid D prospect, but 3 years from now, are they gunna be short on D or O? Is dougie gunna try to parlay one of those Dmen into a young studly forward? Easier said than done...

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gaining Tyler Kennedy and losing TJ is somewhat of a lateral move. If TJ is lost, then it's another hole that needs to be plugged in the top 9. Hopefully Sheppard can make some leaps developmentally and solidify himself as a top 9er.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see... Kennedy is young, so he could be solid. The problem is that if its kennedy in place of galiardi then maybe its a slight upgrade but not worth of a #50 pick and a much higher salary (he'll cost at least 2.5M per I would think). it's just not great unless dougie thinks he can keep both gali and kennedy by using the LTIR space...

If we could hit rewind it sure woulda been nice to see dougie do the following:

1. draft shinkaruk in the first round.
2. Trade the #58 and 49 to move up the 37 and snatch zykov. (since it cost LA #88 and 96 to move up 20 spots, I would think that #59 to move up 12 spots is pretty much right).
3. use the #50 pick on Madison Bowey or Heatherington.

if the sharks did that, they would have walked away with two of the top forward prospects in the draft. Both are a little risky, but would have really really high ceilings. Then they get the steady Dman in the 2nd round and as well as the nice 5th round dmen. I would feel really comfy knowing we had two elite forward prospects in the system in addition to Hertl, and with Tierney, nieto and the others already picked, the future up front would look pretty good. Now, we added just one legit forward prospect who really looks like a long shot. Yes they got a solid D prospect, but 3 years from now, are they gunna be short on D or O? Is dougie gunna try to parlay one of those Dmen into a young studly forward? Easier said than done...

Totally agree on the bolded. Was making my previous post as you were making this quoted post. I would have rather just paid TJ (unless it was stupid demands) and kept the 50th.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also, Since Kennedy got 2M last year, he's likely to cost at least 2.5 this year. He's also already 27 in two weeks. Couldnt they have gone into the UFA pool and gotten a pretty parrallel player at a similar age and price? Is Kennedy so much cheaper and better that he's worth the 2nd rounder?

Id rather go for stalberg or a half dozen other young UFA's or just keep galiardi and all up Hertl. I like Kennedy, but it was a strange move.

I just fear that this is the perrennial (we like this guy) goof that we saw two years ago with zues, then last year with burish. Dougie has a nasty history of overpaying for "heart" or a style while ignoring the player's actual contributions. Throwing 2-3M at 3rd liners is pretty iffy.

If Kennedy is a different player with the injury, then it's that much worse. Now if not, then I think he is a solid 3rd liner, but if dougie throws 3M at him, then its at least 1M overpaid as usual. I always "what if" regarding dougie's use of his UFA money. What if he didnt have nearly 4.5M tied up in Burish and Zues last year and instead had a solid 4M UFA signed who played a solid top 6 role? Would that have given that little push in scoring depth to make it past LA? Every little dollar counts, but it sure seems that dougie has tunnel vision looking for one specific kind of player and paying whatever it takes to get him. I guess sometimes that can work, and it's to dougie's credit that the sharks have 9 straight PO appearances, but I scratch my head at what might have been...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gaining Tyler Kennedy and losing TJ is somewhat of a lateral move. If TJ is lost, then it's another hole that needs to be plugged in the top 9. Hopefully Sheppard can make some leaps developmentally and solidify himself as a top 9er.

I see the move a little differently I guess. Kennedy is an up grade to the 3rd line over Desjardins or Wingels. Kennedy had zero chemistry with Sutter last year and the Pens stuggled to find a consistant spot for him. It showed in his overall play and production. I don't view Kennedy being a direct replacement for Galiardi. Sheppard is the one who's making Galiardi expendable. Two and three years ago Kennedy was one of the top 3rd line wingers in the league playing along side Cooke and Staal. Wilson is betting he can return to that form playing along side simular players in Torres and Pavelski.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the move a little differently I guess. Kennedy is an up grade to the 3rd line over Desjardins or Wingels. Kennedy had zero chemistry with Sutter last year and the Pens stuggled to find a consistant spot for him. It showed in his overall play and production. I don't view Kennedy being a direct replacement for Galiardi. Sheppard is the one who's making Galiardi expendable. Two and three years ago Kennedy was one of the top 3rd line wingers in the league playing along side Cooke and Staal. Wilson is betting he can return to that form playing along side simular players in Torres and Pavelski.

I consider TJ a third liner, just as I do Kennedy. That's why losing TJ and replacing him with Kennedy is a net result of 0 in terms of forward bodies. I agree that Kennedy has accomplished more and is capable of accomplishing more with the Sharks. Whereas TJ was being carried by Jumbo and Burns, Kennedy can hold his own on a third line (from what I remember of watching him).

What I would have liked is to have both TJ and Kennedy on the team. Both third liners with very different skillsets. That would truly add depth as opposed to 'just' an improvement in the position (3rd line winger). I hope TJ can get real and sign a reasonable deal already. He was carried by Jumbo and Burns, he needs to know that.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If matt Cullen hits the market I wonder if he would be worth a look for 3rd line duties

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sateri one year @ $600k and Grosenik two years @ $625k have re-signed.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed you all...

And...

Good riddance! I mean... good luck, TJ. Addition by subtraction FTW.

Last edited by a moderator:

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed you all...

And...

Good riddance! I mean... good luck, TJ. Addition by subtraction FTW.

4th round pick for TJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ugh. a 4gth rounder two years from now? So let's recap:

ginner+sgarbossa for galiardi and winnik. Get nearly swept out of first round, winnik walks, galiardi sucks for 1.5 years and then is dealt for basically nothing. Ginner is still only 24, and establishing as a legit top 9 and potential top 6 with sgarbossa at 21 years old already nearly leading the avs AHL team in scoring and getting a peak at the NHL. Nice deal, Dougie.

Add that to the Zues debacle and the Burish disaster and dougie is nicely accruing a wonderful record of Shitty Gm-ing over the last few years. Since he got burns for one year at the time (he could have signed him UFA the following summer), he also dealt seto (a solid top 9, arguable top 6), Coyle who is developing into a very strong player and likely top 9 (maybe top 6) and phillips, who is another strong prospect. Of course this trade is less severely bad since he picked Coyle ahead of Etem who looks like he could be a super stud in ANA at age 21.

taken together, the sharks basically could have their exact same team as now, plus Seto, Mcginn, Etem, and two strong prospects in phillips (or whoever in the 1st round) and Sgarbossa had dougie simply made no trades and signed burns in the offseason. Yes we would have had one less season of burns, but that's the only difference and the burish and zues money instead would have allowed them to have seto and ginner still on the team and remain under the cap.

Amazing. imagine how good the sharks would have been with the same team except with 3 more legit scoring threats (ginner, seto and etem) in place of Burish and zues. W.O.W.!

Oh well, hopefully kennedy reverts to 2010-2011 form when he potted 21 goals and 40+ points. a 20-20 guy for 2.5M would be a nice value, but if he barely scratches 10-10 for 20 and isnt great in the other areas, then it could be more of the same. Very uncertain and sure doesnt seem like the Kennedy-->galiardi move is gunna be some kind of difference maker that takes the sharks from where they currently are into cup contention? Doubly so when accounting for another year older on the core.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where is Etem coming from? The Avs were trying to trade McGinn up to the deadline if you really want him back. Probably wouldn't cost much more than the 4th the just got.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$1.25M for 1 year for TJ from Calgary, FWIW... he probably would have wanted at least $1.5M from Dougie.. the dude is definitely delusional when it comes to salary expectations... glad he's not the Sharks' problem anymore. Go rip someone else off.

And yes, maybe I'll tell you all how I really feel sometime later. :P

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where is Etem coming from? The Avs were trying to trade McGinn up to the deadline if you really want him back. Probably wouldn't cost much more than the 4th the just got.

I like how rules blatantly ignores things like TOI to point production values when talking about McGinn, the guy was getting top line minutes and pp time in Colorado. Things he would not have gotten in SJ, and if Colorado was trying to dump him in guessing his attitude problems are still dogging him