• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 season thread

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From Jamey ...

"The Rangers have passed along a statement from television play-by-play broadcaster Dave Barnett in which he announces that, due to health issues, he expects to miss the rest of the 2012 season. Barnett’s statement follows:

I want to thank everyone for your kind sentiments and words of encouragement over the last couple of weeks. It has meant a lot to me during what has been a very difficult time. Effective immediately, for health reasons I will be taking an indefinite leave of absence from my broadcasting duties that I expect to last for the remainder of the season.

I would ask that you please respect the privacy of me and my family during this time.

Thank you once again for your support."

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I really feel bad for Dave Barnett. Respect His Privacy. But this really sounds very serious. Fear that Barnett is more sick than He wants anybody to know. Keeping it Private for now. Hope He makes it back next season.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does Hamilton's poor June stats coincide at all with when he gave up chewing tobacco?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Hamilton's poor June stats coincide at all with when he gave up chewing tobacco?

He did it once two years ago. Not sure how it affected him then, but I could see it affecting him. Give up tobacco in the offseason. Don't fuck with your body in the middle of a pennant race. :L

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He did mention that "we would notice a change in a couple of days"....and ever since then...he's been considerably better. :think:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Being somewhat analytically oriented ... and after reading Joey's piece on the bullpen this morning ... had some thoughts on what it might look like during the second half (with a couple of guys out back on the active roster) ... and whether it provides an option for adding a starter into the mix.

Assuming seven 9-inning games in seven days with the SP going five innings ... that leaves 4 innings x 7 days = 28 innings per week that the bullpen would cover.

For the purposes of the argument I've included Feliz as an RP and left out Lowe ... with the bullpen and weekly inning workload as follows:

Nathan 4IP (four 1-inning outings)
Adams 4IP (four 1-inning outings)
Uehara 4IP (four 1-inning outings)
Feliz 4IP (four 1-inning outings)
Ogando 4IP (one 2-inning outing plus two 1-inning outings)
Ross 4IP (one 2-inning outing plus two 1-inning outings)

That leaves Feldman (or whoever) with the balance of four innings a week ... each RP pitching four innings. So ... if 2 SPs a week go six innings instead of five ... that would reduce "Feldman's innings" to two innings to cover ... if 3 SPs a week go six innings (or 2 RPs above pitch five a week versus four) ... that leaves the last RP (ostensibly Feldman) not appearing in a game.

So ... why not use the seventh RP spot to add another SP to the rotation going through the heat of July and August. In September callups will provide for additional SP innings ... but if in those two months TEX used six SPs instead of five ... that would mean instead of each SP making nine starts in the 45 days (half of July plus Aug) ... with an additional SP in the rotation ... each SP would only make 7.5 starts.

What if instead of Feliz as an RP as I show him here ... he is that sixth SP and (gulp) Lowe replaced Feliz above ... and Feldman was left out? Rather than carry a long reliever ... it would seem that with the bullpen talent that it might be better to use one RP spot to spread the SP workload out during the hottest months of the season.

Alternatively ... if you want to stick with five SPs ... then an 11man pitching staff makes room for another position player on the active roster... perhaps a corner bat like Olt.

Just a thought ...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did it once two years ago. Not sure how it affected him then, but I could see it affecting him. Give up tobacco in the offseason. Don't fuck with your body in the middle of a pennant race. :L

Wasn't there something else he changed once as well, timed with a slump? Didn't he come off ADD meds or something like that? Mess with big changes in the offseason, not in June.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being somewhat analytically oriented ... and after reading Joey's piece on the bullpen this morning ... had some thoughts on what it might look like during the second half (with a couple of guys out back on the active roster) ... and whether it provides an option for adding a starter into the mix.

Assuming seven 9-inning games in seven days with the SP going five innings ... that leaves 4 innings x 7 days = 28 innings per week that the bullpen would cover.

For the purposes of the argument I've included Feliz as an RP and left out Lowe ... with the bullpen and weekly inning workload as follows:

That leaves Feldman (or whoever) with the balance of four innings a week ... each RP pitching four innings. So ... if 2 SPs a week go six innings instead of five ... that would reduce "Feldman's innings" to two innings to cover ... if 3 SPs a week go six innings (or 2 RPs above pitch five a week versus four) ... that leaves the last RP (ostensibly Feldman) not appearing in a game.

So ... why not use the seventh RP spot to add another SP to the rotation going through the heat of July and August. In September callups will provide for additional SP innings ... but if in those two months TEX used six SPs instead of five ... that would mean instead of each SP making nine starts in the 45 days (half of July plus Aug) ... with an additional SP in the rotation ... each SP would only make 7.5 starts.

What if instead of Feliz as an RP as I show him here ... he is that sixth SP and (gulp) Lowe replaced Feliz above ... and Feldman was left out? Rather than carry a long reliever ... it would seem that with the bullpen talent that it might be better to use one RP spot to spread the SP workload out during the hottest months of the season.

Alternatively ... if you want to stick with five SPs ... then an 11man pitching staff makes room for another position player on the active roster... perhaps a corner bat like Olt.

Just a thought ...

Interesting numbers. One quick adjustment I would make is with Ross. Remember this is a young guy. I think he did some starting, but he already has a TON of innings for a young rookie. I'd be willing to bet that he either is put on the DL with something "suspicious" like sore shoulder or forearm tightness to get some rest and bring someone else up, or maybe just avoiding using him as much in the second half. He has thrown 47 innings already. Only Feldman has more innings without being an opening day starter. Ross has more innings thrown than Feliz even.

Ross is a stud, and I don't want to see him wear down.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ford... yea I'm concerned about Ross being overworked too. What a talent! TEX definitely needs to ensure he's not burned out for the playoffs. Not a lot of real LHRP options past him.

Ross ... 2008 2nd round (#57) behind Justin Smoak ... has been probably not only TEX biggest pitching surprise but arguably its top first half relief pitching performer alongside Nathan.

Am impressed with where he stands with other AL pitchers (by IP and ERA) Here's how his IP vs ERA e stacks up in the AL based on IP and ERA ...

There are only three AL pitchers with more than 25IP with better ERA's than Ross's 0.95 in 47.1I... Ernesto Frieri (26.1IP, 0.00ERA), Scott Downs (30IP, 0.30ERA), and Fernando Rodney (38.2IP, 0.93ERA). The next pitcher in the AL ERA rankings with more IP than Ross is ... Jared Weaver (96.2IP, 1.96ERA).

Pretty impressive company ... doubt many of us saw this coming and thought TEX was sure to resign Mike Gonzalez before camp. Ross has been nothing short of spectacular.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ford... yea I'm concerned about Ross being overworked too. What a talent! TEX definitely needs to ensure he's not burned out for the playoffs. Not a lot of real LHRP options past him.

Ross ... 2008 2nd round (#57) behind Justin Smoak ... has been probably not only TEX biggest pitching surprise but arguably its top first half relief pitching performer alongside Nathan.

Am impressed with where he stands with other AL pitchers (by IP and ERA) Here's how his IP vs ERA e stacks up in the AL based on IP and ERA ...

There are only three AL pitchers with more than 25IP with better ERA's than Ross's 0.95 in 47.1I... Ernesto Frieri (26.1IP, 0.00ERA), Scott Downs (30IP, 0.30ERA), and Fernando Rodney (38.2IP, 0.93ERA). The next pitcher in the AL ERA rankings with more IP than Ross is ... Jared Weaver (96.2IP, 1.96ERA).

Pretty impressive company ... doubt many of us saw this coming and thought TEX was sure to resign Mike Gonzalez before camp. Ross has been nothing short of spectacular.

The best part of Ross is not that he is just dominating other teams, but I got him, Frieri, and Cook out of OAK as FA's in the roto league. :)

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't there something else he changed once as well, timed with a slump? Didn't he come off ADD meds or something like that? Mess with big changes in the offseason, not in June.

When it comes to something like tobacco, Hamilton kind of has the right to quit whenever he wants

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well it figured. the angels have announced that they are going hard after Greinke

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehhh....wouldnt say they "announced" it. Its Heyman of CBS stating they are.
Reality is, if you're a contender... you are looking to improve your team in any way that you can.

I'd be shocked if they werent looking at him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to something like tobacco, Hamilton kind of has the right to quit whenever he wants

Never said he didn't. I have the right to cuss like a sailor as well, but doesn't mean that it is wise to do at any give time.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehhh....wouldnt say they "announced" it. Its Heyman of CBS stating they are.
Reality is, if you're a contender... you are looking to improve your team in any way that you can.

I'd be shocked if they werent looking at him.

Well upto yesterday they weren't mentioned.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. The Angels always have stellar starting pitchers. Even if they got him it wouldn't worry me much, and I sure as hell wouldn't get into a bidding war with them. Not sure LA has the prospects to get Greinke anyways, and they'd probably have to turn loose of one of they few hitters they have that are currently producing.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jairo Beras is a Ranger.

However, he'll be suspended for a year.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jairo Beras is a Ranger.

Yeah and meh. Can he play in another league for that year? Can't see MLB preventing him from a S american league.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jairo Beras is a Ranger.

MLB decision avoids a lawsuit from TEX and keeps him out of games as a token to the east coast crowd who didn't do effective research. Ogando had to wait a whole lot longer than a year and Beras and work out and practice ... just can't play in games. Bet TEX will get that suspension post dated to his date of signing so he's only suspended until March.

Good move TEX.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That leaves Feldman (or whoever) with the balance of four innings a week ... each RP pitching four innings. So ... if 2 SPs a week go six innings instead of five ... that would reduce "Feldman's innings" to two innings to cover ... if 3 SPs a week go six innings (or 2 RPs above pitch five a week versus four) ... that leaves the last RP (ostensible Feldman) not appearing in a game.

Just a thought ...

How many bullpen arms can u have? If nefty goes back we have lowe, uehara, ross, ogando, feliz, adams, and nathan. Thats a lot of great arms right there.