• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012-13 Articles, Links, and Blogs

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff (Boulder)

Most important question: Favorite Northwest beer? I'm a big fan of the Ninkasi in Eugene.

Kevin Pelton
(1:47 PM)

In keeping with the Per Diem tradition of PNW microbrews, it's hard to go wrong. But my favorites are Pyramid here in Seattle and Rogue in Oregon. The Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout would probably be my No. 1 overall.

Dan (Potsdam)

Did you forget about DeSchutes?

Kevin Pelton
(1:57 PM)

Much like the draft board, somebody has to slide ...

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane (SLC)

Is Coach Ty Corbin as bad as Jazz fans think he may be?

Kevin Pelton
(2:06 PM)

Nobody is as bad a coach as Jazz fans think Tyrone Corbin is. As a wise fellow Insider once wrote, regress your opinion of your coach heavily to the mean.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay (Rochester)

Do you think Brittany Griner could make an NBA roster?

Kevin Pelton
(2:19 PM)

I don't think so, because although her wingspan would give her the chance to make an impact defensively, she'd be giving up a lot of size in the paint. I think if -- when? -- a woman plays in the NBA, it's most likely to be a sharpshooting guard with enough size to hang defensively. Diana Taurasi is probably the closest example at this point

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon (Utah)

It might be wishful thinking, but can the Jazz hold onto the 8th seed? Jekyll and Hyde seems to describe this team well, but 6 of their last 8 are at home.

Michael Wallace
(2:07 PM)

I'm on record predicting that the Lakers would make the playoffs, but I'd kindly request a mulligan if I could. The Lakers, Mavs and Jazz are all equally flawed teams, or they wouldn't be in the position they're in right now. Utah had been a far better team at home than on the road, so I think this final push slightly favors the Jazz in terms of their schedule/opponents. But just when you expect the Jazz to be one thing, as you suggest in the question, they always do the opposite.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle kennedy (Canada)

A nation of 30 million people collectively shaking there head at the Craptors right now..

Michael Wallace
(2:53 PM)

That's been the case for a while, hasn't it?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver Nuggets

FINAL
Recap | Box score
Utah Jazz

MVP: Danilo Gallinari. Gallo iced the Jazz, scoring 21 points off just 10 shots, including 13 in the fourth quarter. His consistent relentlessness at the rim led the Nuggets to an easy victory, which is a rarity for opponents at the EnergySolutions Arena.

X factor: Points in the paint. The Nuggets outscored the Jazz, 58-40, from inside the paint by getting out in transition and moving the ball. That 18-point advantage proved to be the difference, as the Jazz lost the game by 17 points.

Defining moment: The Jazz were down by just five points heading into the second half, but a quick 8-0 run sparked by Andre Iguodala increased the Nuggets' lead to 13. Utah, despite its best efforts, could never manage to get back into the game.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@
Recap

MVP: Jonas Valanciunas. The Euro center double-doubled with 10 rebounds and a career-high 24 points. Of course, that stat line was helped by a 16-for-18 showing from the free throw line, where Raptors fans cheered him on: "M-V-P! M-V-P! M-V-P!"

X factor: DeMar DeRozan, who came into the game averaging 21.3 points in three meetings with the Wizards this season. DeRozan dropped 25 on 21 shots (all inside the 3-point arc) and finished with a game-high plus-20 plus/minus.

That was ... an ugly game of basketball: For starters, the two teams combined for 30 turnovers and shot just 22.2 percent from 3. The losing squad, the Wizards, played particularly poorly after a decent first half, making fewer than a third of their attempts from the field (.325).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver Nuggets

FINAL
Recap | Box score
Utah Jazz

MVP: Danilo Gallinari. Gallo iced the Jazz, scoring 21 points off just 10 shots, including 13 in the fourth quarter. His consistent relentlessness at the rim led the Nuggets to an easy victory, which is a rarity for opponents at the EnergySolutions Arena.

X factor: Points in the paint. The Nuggets outscored the Jazz, 58-40, from inside the paint by getting out in transition and moving the ball. That 18-point advantage proved to be the difference, as the Jazz lost the game by 17 points.

Defining moment: The Jazz were down by just five points heading into the second half, but a quick 8-0 run sparked by Andre Iguodala increased the Nuggets' lead to 13. Utah, despite its best efforts, could never manage to get back into the game.

Andre Miller's half-curt alley-oop should not count as points in the paint! ;)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bulls offense was shitty in the 1st half. It was so bad I fell asleep in the 2nd quarter.

Boozer powered his way for 29 and 18, with 3 assists, for a 92-90 win.

I didn't see it coming, based on how bad the Bulls offense was in the first half.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallinari headed to the locker room in a wheel chair.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hungry. I'll probably move this to the BS Thread later. But I'm too hungry to move now. Both physically to the kitchen and on the internet to that thread.

I'm hungry.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hungry. I'll probably move this to the BS Thread later. But I'm too hungry to move now. Both physically to the kitchen and on the internet to that thread.

I'm hungry.

1. When was the last time you ate prior to this post?

Why was it as long as it was?

2. What did you end up eating, after making this post? Unless you didn't end up eating, and just went to bed afterward.

(I've done that sometimes too, when I was too hungry/lazy to eat, so I would just sleep.)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian (NJ)

Can you believe that Tim Duncan is 4th in the NBA in PER this year? Duncan vs Kobe for the best player of that generation is a really interesting debate.

Kevin Pelton
(2:21 PM)

At the risk of opening up a different can of worms, it's Duncan vs. KG.

Jeff (Phoenix, AZ)

You are not seriously suggesting that Garnett has had a better career than Kobe, are you?

Kevin Pelton
(2:32 PM)

I am doing just that, yes.

Jeff (Phoenix, AZ)

You are an idiot.

Kevin Pelton
(2:34 PM)

Agree to disagree?

Damon (Santa Cruz)

Kobe is a guard. KG is a PF. Duncan is a C (despite what others say). It's hard to compare across positions, isn't it?

Kevin Pelton
(2:37 PM)

Paul (New Haven, CT)

KG career PER 23.1; Kobe career PER 23.4.... very close

Kevin Pelton
(2:47 PM)

I'm surprised Kobe's ahead in PER. Duncan has a much higher career PER (24.7) in large part because he didn't have the developmental years at the start of his career.

I think it simplifies things to say KG and Duncan are both posts. But in general, I don't believe it's difficult to compare across positions. Obviously it's implicitly happening all the time with trades, contracts, etc.

Brian (Minny)

Im not really surprised Kobe has a higher career PER than KG. PER doesn't really attempt to factor in defense right? That's where KG get the overall edge.

Kevin Pelton
(2:54 PM)

I hear this a lot about PER, and it's not quite true. Blocks, steals and rebounds are in there, so KG is getting credit for his defense. Other metrics, including WARP, place more weight on the defensive stats, and that's why they have KG ahead of Kobe.

Jordan (NYC)

I have never been a Kobe fan, eventhough I can recognize the talent. But, intrigued by your comments earlier re: KG vs Kobe. Can you elaborate?

Kevin Pelton
(2:58 PM)

In short, I'd argue that the difference between them on offense (in Kobe's favor) is smaller than the difference on defense (in KG's favor). In long, I wrote a lot about this discussion here: Basketball Prospectus | The Decade's Best

Sagar (Newport Beach)

Kobe has the edge in winning and stats (if you want to use PER). The eye test is not even close -- Kobe's overall effect on a team is much much higher than KGs. Where does ESPN find guys like you?And it's a lot easier for a big man to have a better PER because they are basically only shooting layups/dunks and 5 foot jumpers. Then add the fact that they need an elite wing/penetrator on the team to set them up. The elite wing has to do a lot of the work to get the big those 5-7 uncontested looks a game -- thus giving the appearance that the big is the more efficient player.

Kevin Pelton
(3:09 PM)

That's a good point about the ability to create. Hoopdata.com has an adjusted PER that incorporates players' rates of assisted field goals, and it would probably show Kobe further ahead. However, I account for that with an estimate in WARP, and again Kobe's advantage on offense is not as large as KG's advantage on defense.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A.D. (Reno)

I think the Jazz are going to make a big move in the off-season and go for a top-tier PG. Jeff Teague will be in SLC, and Al Jeff & P. Millsap will not be re-signed. Your thoughts?

Kevin Pelton
(2:35 PM)

I would not describe Jeff Teague as a top-tier PG.

Chris (SLC)

Can you give us a "top teir" PG the Jazz may target?

Kevin Pelton
(2:50 PM)

Other than moving up in the draft, I don't think the Jazz should be expecting a top-tier PG. And that's fine -- Utah doesn't necessarily need someone that good, just an upgrade on the guys they've had the last couple of seasons. Teague would be that as he develops, certainly.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris (Michigan)

I was just watching highlights of Penny Hardaway back in the day, and just wanted to get your take on how good he was. Thanks!

Kevin Pelton
(3:22 PM)

Penny was my favorite non-Sonic back in the day. I think he was best as a giant point guard. In 1995-96, he ranked third in the league in WARP behind Jordan and Malone. So he was pretty good before his knees gave out. I would love to see a full, healthy Penny career.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A.D. (Reno)

I think the Jazz are going to make a big move in the off-season and go for a top-tier PG. Jeff Teague will be in SLC, and Al Jeff & P. Millsap will not be re-signed. Your thoughts?

Kevin Pelton
(2:35 PM)

I would not describe Jeff Teague as a top-tier PG.

Chris (SLC)

Can you give us a "top teir" PG the Jazz may target?

Kevin Pelton
(2:50 PM)

Other than moving up in the draft, I don't think the Jazz should be expecting a top-tier PG. And that's fine -- Utah doesn't necessarily need someone that good, just an upgrade on the guys they've had the last couple of seasons. Teague would be that as he develops, certainly.

Blasted! It's probably true, but I want my true point guard who can average 10 assists and 12 points! Not 6 assists and 20 points. Or 5 assists and 7 points. But that's overly optimistic and I don't know anyone out there in FA, trades, or the draft that we could get. Don't know if Rondo is still tradable, a fit here, etc. Vasquez obviously won't be traded, IMO. There's just no hope out there for a watered down Stockton (I didn't mention FG% or defense, that would be too picky-er).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damon (Santa Cruz)

Kobe is a guard. KG is a PF. Duncan is a C (despite what others say). It's hard to compare across positions, isn't it?

I like Kobe over KG for this, but the bolded was the best!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan (Utah)

What do you think of the Jazz's three players Favors, Kanter, and Hayward. Would love a player comparison for each of what you seen of them so far.

Michael Wallace
(2:07 PM)

I like all three of those guys, and believe that Utah's future is bright if they can add a few veterans around them via free agency or trades. I'm not sure I have a comparison for Hayward or Kanter, but I think Favors has a lot of Al Horford in his game, especially if he learns to step out to 15 feet and consistently knock down a jumper.