• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012-13 Articles, Links, and Blogs

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesse (Salt Lake)

Some analysts have slightly criticised the Jazz trade with Golden State for over paying for the two first round picks. But do you take into consideration the opportunity for future moves based on the collection of draft picks and flexibility beyond this season? They turned two later first round picks into Trey Burke this year...

Kevin Pelton
(5:34 PM)

The argument is that Utah could have gotten other draft picks from other teams looking to shed money at some point between now and the trade deadline. So I don't see how that is relevant.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill (Salt Lake)

Regarding the Jazz move, isn't there a possibility that nothing better could have materialized by the deadline and they miss out? You know, the whole "one in the hand, two in the bush" thing. Also, other teams with space are in the free agent hunt right now, where Utah isn't. When the salary picture is more defined later in the year, isn't is possible there could have been more competition for those deals with other teams? Last, sounds as if the Jazz likely took back the max in cash considerations, which would be around $6mm ($3mm from each team). Doesn't that change the bottom line cost to them some?

Kevin Pelton

(5:46 PM)

Those teams have generally spent their money on free agents. I think Atlanta is the last team left with appreciable cap space, and the Hawks still don't have a PG. Certainly, there are risks to that approach. But let's be clear that Utah paid far more for two draft picks than we usually see. Now perhaps the market has changed because teams are valuing picks -- especially 2014 picks -- more. But we're looking at likely a pick around 20 this year and a gamble on a pick three years from now. It's not an irreplaceable deal.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris (Utah)

Shout out from a Twitter follower! Appreciate the unprecedented amount of Jazz questions today. How ominous should we take Burke's SL performance to be?

Kevin Pelton
(5:50 PM)

It's worrisome, especially because it reinforces questions people already had about him. A poor summer league has been a leading indicator for disappointments like Evan Turner and Thomas Robinson in the past.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt (Utah)

What questions about Burke did his Summer League reinforce? I assume you're talking about his athleticism?

Kevin Pelton
(6:47 PM)

And finishing ability.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris (Utah)

How soon can you flip a player you got in a trade? (i'm looking at you Richard Jefferson) Expiring deals can sometimes be worth something...

Kevin Pelton
(6:56 PM)

Since the Jazz are under the salary cap, I believe they should be able to move it immediately. But for what?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe (SLC)

Kevin: You are a superstar today. What an amazingly long chat! Do you think the Jazz suspect things might blow up for GS this year (improving that 2014 pick)? If I am a GS fan, I am disappointed with the loss of Jack. And if GS loses Bogut or Curry for any stretch, they could be in trouble. Are Utah fans being too optimistic thinking GS will resort back into mediocrity (which always seems to happen for them)?

Kevin Pelton
(7:04 PM)

There's an argument for it. But the Warriors' perimeter players are so good that I think it would take a Curry injury to knock them out of the top six or seven in the West. It would be karma if that pick turns out better than expected.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avery (NC)

In most of your responses to the Al Jefferson signing you simply cut and paste some minor point someone said and then say "it probably wasn't a good signing"... So I'm curious what factors you think actually indicate a good free agent signing and what direction you would have gone if you were Cho/Jordan.
Kevin Pelton

(7:14 PM)

I probably would have saved my money and stayed put with this year's lottery coming up, but if I would have made a run at anyone, it would have been Pekovic. Pekovic is a much better defender, provides some of the same value in terms of post scoring and is younger to boot. Perhaps the same offer would have been matched by Minnesota, but there's little downside to that. The contract you don't sign is never as big of an issue as the contract you do sign.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
joe jack (tucson)

Even with the Jefferson signing they will still have an excellent shot at landing a top pick in next year's lottery. The added low post scoring without sacrificing a lottery pick which is excatly what they needed. Pekovic brings in unneeded defense. Bismack, MKG, Hendo, and Kemba are all defense minded players. With Jeffereson, the bobcats now have an actually scoring threat on the court. How could that possibly be bad?

Kevin Pelton
(7:24 PM)

The Bobcats finished 30th in defensive rating last year. There are 30 teams in the league. I'm pretty sure defense isn't "unneeded."

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vlad (Seattle)

Which NBA player is the biggest jerk in real life?

Kevin Pelton
(7:45 PM)

Back when I interviewed players on a regular basis, they were almost all very gracious. I think the only guy who was ever unwilling to do an interview was Nick Van Exel, but it was postgame and I wanted to ask feature questions, which is always a gray area.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any way Jeremy Evans keeps up his pretty incredible efficiency numbers with a likely increased role this year?

Kevin Pelton
(4:12 PM)

Depends how much he has to create for himself. If Burke, Burks and Lucas prove capable of doing that, his energy should continue to translate.

Brent E (Fort Wayne)

You said Jeremy Evans is above average PER. How do you evaluate a player like him realistically when he has only been allowed to play in garbage minutes for 3 years?

Kevin Pelton
(4:14 PM)

There have been a lot of regular minutes in there. And the evidence indicates that per-minute performance in smaller roles translates when players join the rotation: The Paul Millsap Doctrine

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where would the Utah Jazz and Dennis Lindsay rank on a scale of teams/GM's who use analytics? Would love to see a column ranking all 30 teams...

Kevin Pelton
(4:16 PM)

This is something we've talked about doing at some point. I would guess they're probably somewhere around 20th.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This conclusion goes against one of my future posts.

+++++++++++++++++++++

cw (madison)

Is there a value to sharing the ball, maybe energizing everyone to play defense and building that mysterious "chemistry?" Could you prove this by looking at teams where usage rates are more even across the roster?

Kevin Pelton
(5:31 PM)

Historically, teams with balanced usage rates tend to be weaker offensively because it indicates the lack of a star more than teamwork.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with some of the stuff I post from other sites, but I post it because it's relevant to the discussion, or it provides another perspective.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John (Utah)
RE George v Hayward. If Granger didn't get hurt then we would have a debate. Hayward gets his shot this year

Kevin Pelton
(3:03 PM)

defense defense defense defense defense defense defense defense defense defense defense defense defense defense defense defense

Sven (SLC, Utah)

Since admittedly statistics do a poor job of quantifying the defensive impact of a player, how exactly do you state with such certainty that Paul George is a far superior defensive player over Gordon Hayward??

Kevin Pelton
(3:11 PM)

Individually, defensive stats are not particularly accurate. But when a variety of different methods establish the value of a player, it's certainly possible to put them into different classes at the defensive end. And such as the case with George, who is in the conversation with the league's best defensive wings, and Hayward, who is not.