• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2 there, 2 here with the Rangers and Rockies 8/8-8/11

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitzges just brought up the fact we don't have a single player on our roster we drafted in the 1st 10 rounds over the past 10 years. Pretty surprising.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the Rockies Seager. Man, has he killed it against us this season or what?

Yes he has but Blackmon is not as smug looking as Seager. But really can't tell with that Grizzly Adams look. :)

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitzges just brought up the fact we don't have a single player on our roster we drafted in the 1st 10 rounds over the past 10 years. Pretty surprising.
Seems a lot of our really high draft picks just do not pan out. Take a look at our 1st picks since 2000.
2016 Cole Ragans LHP North Florida Christian (Tallahassee, Fla.) 30
2015 Dillon Tate RHP UC Santa Barbara 4
2013 Alex Gonzalez RHP Oral Roberts 23
2013 Travis Demeritte SS Winder-Barrow High School, Winder, Ga. 30
2012 Lewis Brinson CF Coral Springs (Fla.) High School 29
2011 Kevin Matthews LHP Richmond Hill High School 33
2010 Luke Jackson RHP Calvary Christian, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. 45
2010 Kellin Deglan C Langley High School, British Columbia 22
2010 Jake Skole OF Blessed Trinity HS, Woodstock, Ga. 15
2009 Matt Purke LHP Klein High School, Spring, Texas 14
2008 Justin Smoak 1B Univ. of South Carolina 11
2007 Blake Beavan RHP Irving (Texas) HS 17
2007 Michael Main RHP Deland (Fla.) HS 24
2006 Kasey Kiker LHP Russell County HS, (Phenix City, Ala) 12
2005 John Mayberry RF Stanford 19
2004 Eric Hurley RHP Wolfson HS, Jacksonville 30
2004 Thomas Diamond RHP New Orleans 10
2003 John Danks LHP Round Rock HS 9
2002 Drew Meyer SS South Carolina 10
2001 Mark Teixeira 3B Georgia Tech 5
2000 Scott Heard C San Diego, CA 25

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be a barn burner today. But cold front comes in Saturday with the weekend games in doubt because of rain. Chance of Rain high on those 2 days and then a chance Monday-Friday as well. Very unusual for August in Texas.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is it you find amusing about the passing of a truly terrific guy in John Suanders Will?
Absolutely nothing at all. I just logged on today and saw that someone clicked "Funny" on that post and I wanted to know who was being a dickhead. I was quite surprised when it said my name. I have no idea how that happened unless my finger hit that icon as I was scrolling on my phone. I don't find anyone dying funny.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was wondering that myself
See my post to Don. I can assure you I found nothing funny about Saunders passing. I undid the rating as soon as I saw it this morning.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be a barn burner today. But cold front comes in Saturday with the weekend games in doubt because of rain. Chance of Rain high on those 2 days and then a chance Monday-Friday as well. Very unusual for August in Texas.

We so seldom get a rain out, and now we're looking at the "possibility" in mid August. Makes no sense, but unfortunately I'll take the rain. Needed.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely nothing at all. I just logged on today and saw that someone clicked "Funny" on that post and I wanted to know who was being a dickhead. I was quite surprised when it said my name. I have no idea how that happened unless my finger hit that icon as I was scrolling on my phone. I don't find anyone dying funny.

Good to hear.....Seemed totally out of character, and I was quite surprised to see it.

Anyway, onward we go to hopefully a sweep.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems a lot of our really high draft picks just do not pan out. Take a look at our 1st picks since 2000.
2016 Cole Ragans LHP North Florida Christian (Tallahassee, Fla.) 30
2015 Dillon Tate RHP UC Santa Barbara 4
2013 Alex Gonzalez RHP Oral Roberts 23
2013 Travis Demeritte SS Winder-Barrow High School, Winder, Ga. 30
2012 Lewis Brinson CF Coral Springs (Fla.) High School 29
2011 Kevin Matthews LHP Richmond Hill High School 33
2010 Luke Jackson RHP Calvary Christian, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. 45
2010 Kellin Deglan C Langley High School, British Columbia 22
2010 Jake Skole OF Blessed Trinity HS, Woodstock, Ga. 15
2009 Matt Purke LHP Klein High School, Spring, Texas 14
2008 Justin Smoak 1B Univ. of South Carolina 11
2007 Blake Beavan RHP Irving (Texas) HS 17
2007 Michael Main RHP Deland (Fla.) HS 24
2006 Kasey Kiker LHP Russell County HS, (Phenix City, Ala) 12
2005 John Mayberry RF Stanford 19
2004 Eric Hurley RHP Wolfson HS, Jacksonville 30
2004 Thomas Diamond RHP New Orleans 10
2003 John Danks LHP Round Rock HS 9
2002 Drew Meyer SS South Carolina 10
2001 Mark Teixeira 3B Georgia Tech 5
2000 Scott Heard C San Diego, CA 25

I don't think that's horribly uncommon. Draft picks are like the lottery.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a new contender for worst press conference question of all-time
During Prince Fielder's presser, we saw a good example of a bad question

We've all heard the phrase, "there's no such thing as a dumb question." As adults, we're all probably smart enough to know that actually isn't true. If not, well, we've got an illustration of the point from Prince Fielder's emotional farewell press conference.

"Do you sort of understand what Lou Gehrig was going through in his famous speech?"

Yes. Someone asked that. You can watch it here, along with Prince's "WHAT?" reply.

Gehrig gave his famous "Luckiest man on the face of the Earth" speech on July 4, 1939 as he was suffering from a debilitating nerve disease that would come to be called Lou Gehrig Disease. He died less than two years later.

Prince Fielder has a neck injury that means he can't play baseball any longer.

Is there any sort of disconnect there? Any whatsoever?

Now, this is laughably dumb, in one of two ways.

If this was an earnest question, it completely missed the mark and went way beyond what is going on with Prince Fielder's health.

If it wasn't -- the person actually kind of sounded like he started to laugh -- this guy is a complete jackass. This was an emotional press conference from a guy whose career has come to an end due to something out of his power. It's a game he's been around his entire life, having grown up with a major-league father. His kids were there and he was crying while he thanked them. That's a setting to make a joke about Lou Gehrig Disease?

I think we can all safely agree that this is either a "get a clue" or "get a life" situation. In either case, let's be better than that next time. As George Costanza would say, "you know we're living in a society here!"

What a dumbass

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a new contender for worst press conference question of all-time
During Prince Fielder's presser, we saw a good example of a bad question

We've all heard the phrase, "there's no such thing as a dumb question." As adults, we're all probably smart enough to know that actually isn't true. If not, well, we've got an illustration of the point from Prince Fielder's emotional farewell press conference.

"Do you sort of understand what Lou Gehrig was going through in his famous speech?"

Yes. Someone asked that. You can watch it here, along with Prince's "WHAT?" reply.

Gehrig gave his famous "Luckiest man on the face of the Earth" speech on July 4, 1939 as he was suffering from a debilitating nerve disease that would come to be called Lou Gehrig Disease. He died less than two years later.

Prince Fielder has a neck injury that means he can't play baseball any longer.

Is there any sort of disconnect there? Any whatsoever?

Now, this is laughably dumb, in one of two ways.

If this was an earnest question, it completely missed the mark and went way beyond what is going on with Prince Fielder's health.

If it wasn't -- the person actually kind of sounded like he started to laugh -- this guy is a complete jackass. This was an emotional press conference from a guy whose career has come to an end due to something out of his power. It's a game he's been around his entire life, having grown up with a major-league father. His kids were there and he was crying while he thanked them. That's a setting to make a joke about Lou Gehrig Disease?

I think we can all safely agree that this is either a "get a clue" or "get a life" situation. In either case, let's be better than that next time. As George Costanza would say, "you know we're living in a society here!"

What a dumbass
Yes stupid question. He could have asked if he knew how Tex felt just two weeks ago announcing he would no longer play.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you use mobile it happens easily. I've disliked things by accident doing that.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering if Chirinos playing every 3rd-4th game is going to be the norm going forward. I understand catchers need a bit more rest than other positional players, and I certainly want Lucroy fresh for the postseason. But damn, lots of other catchers play more than Lucroy is getting to currently. It's too much of a platoon for my taste, especially considering how great Lucroy is at everything and how mediocre to bad Chirinos is. But what do I know?