• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(2) San Jose Sharks vs (3) Detroit Redwings - Series Thread

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you're up 3-0, you're the better team, period. end of story. doesn't matter how close the games are. doesn't matter if they're one goal wins. doesn't matter if you outplay the other team for a period, or two or for a whole game. refs don't matter. luck doesn't matter. 3-0 is commanding no matter how you rationalize it.

i HATE to say this because i FUCKIN HATE the sharks, but they are just the better team in this series. they are just better at finishing right now. i don't know why.

i'm not hockey smart enough to pinpoint the exact reasons, but if i had to put my money in one spot, i would say it's thepk. you just can't fuckin win games when you're giving up a pp goal every fuckin time you go a man down. it's gotten so bad that i just expect it now. worst pk i have EVER fuckin seen.

you can get away with that shit against a team like phoenix that lacks firepower, but not against the sharks.

this is a really good wings team, i mean a really fuckin good team, but they just aren't good enough right now and it's fuckin killing me to think i might only get to watch them one more time this year.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess it just goes to show how hard it is to win a stanley cup when you see really really good teams just fuckin drop out like flies.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if you can pinpoint one reason. The Sharks are more aggressive entering the zone, they are finishing as a team much better, they aren't gripping as hard, they are rolling four dangerous lines, they are beating us on special teams, Niemi is looking incredible. The games are damn close, and these are two very good teams, but the Sharks are just rolling right now. McLellen has them firing on all cylinders while the Wings are having some deadly momentary lapses in judgement out there.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arresteddevelopmentsnoopy.gif

attachment.php

wolfgang

wkern42
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
if you're up 3-0, you're the better team, period. end of story. doesn't matter how close the games are. doesn't matter if they're one goal wins. doesn't matter if you outplay the other team for a period, or two or for a whole game. refs don't matter. luck doesn't matter. 3-0 is commanding no matter how you rationalize it.

i HATE to say this because i FUCKIN HATE the sharks, but they are just the better team in this series. they are just better at finishing right now. i don't know why.

i'm not hockey smart enough to pinpoint the exact reasons, but if i had to put my money in one spot, i would say it's thepk. you just can't fuckin win games when you're giving up a pp goal every fuckin time you go a man down. it's gotten so bad that i just expect it now. worst pk i have EVER fuckin seen.

you can get away with that shit against a team like phoenix that lacks firepower, but not against the sharks.

this is a really good wings team, i mean a really fuckin good team, but they just aren't good enough right now and it's fuckin killing me to think i might only get to watch them one more time this year.

I would start with Jimmy Howard, fair or unfair, but he can't seem to make the TIMELY save.

Can the Wings Man-up and win at least one?

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keith Jones just broke down all the dumb shit Big E did last game. As if I didn't want to shoot the guy already, now I really want to throw him to the dogs. He is completely lost out there.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i know how you feel, i feel that way about the Ducks, i only moderately dislike the Wings cause i have so many friends here that are Wings fans. either way i think its awesome to hear you Wings fans on this board, you have 150% more class than any of the donks on the ESPN board, glad to be here and it sucks that one of our two teams has to lose.

on the other hand, you have to feel sort of good that Tmac is a Wings guy and he has strung together two fairly successful playoff years with what he learned as an assistant for the Wings, i think that is a pretty huge compliment to the franchise personally.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got another Wings managerial offspring that we will be rooting for this postseason if the Wings don't make it... but I guess the Sharks can be #2, lol.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Sharks go on to win this series (and then possibly choke again in the next round -- sigh), how much of it is due to McLellan being not-too-far removed from having been a coach with the Wings?

I always tended to not give it that big an edge (unlike in other sports where you have actual playbooks and you can perhaps take more advantage)... but maybe he *does* know the Detroit players, their tendencies, etc. a bit too well and knows how to get the Sharks ready to play Detroit?

But then again, all these games are way too close and realistically, either team could have won all of them. Maybe it's all just a streak of luck... Hah!

Disclaimer: I am too lazy to go back and check the Sharks record vs. Detroit since McLellan became head coach but IIRC, he didn't have instant great success...

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Sharks go on to win this series (and then possibly choke again in the next round -- sigh), how much of it is due to McLellan being not-too-far removed from having been a coach with the Wings?

I always tended to not give it that big an edge (unlike in other sports where you have actual playbooks and you can perhaps take more advantage)... but maybe he *does* know the Detroit players, their tendencies, etc. a bit too well and knows how to get the Sharks ready to play Detroit?

But then again, all these games are way too close and realistically, either team could have won all of them. Maybe it's all just a streak of luck... Hah!

Disclaimer: I am too lazy to go back and check the Sharks record vs. Detroit since McLellan became head coach but IIRC, he didn't have instant great success...

McLellan being one of Detroit's old assistants surely doesn't hurt, but I think the reason the Sharks are gonna knock Detroit out 2 years in a row is because they're just the better team. This isn't some big upset going on here. Yeah if the Sharks win tonight or on Sunday the series will be shorter than just about everyone expected, just like the series last year was, but just taking a look at the rosters I think it's pretty clear the Sharks have more talent. I know it's weird to say a team is more talented than Detroit, but the Sharks are. And it doesn't help any that two of Detroit's most talented, Zetterberg and Franzen, are clearly not at 100%. Couple that with the fact that the Sharks got better goaltending both years and the series are turning out in the Sharks' favor.

During McLellan's time in Detroit, I'm sure he saw first hand the types of players that best matched up against Datsyuk and Zetterberg and the types of systems that gave them the most trouble, but at the end of the day, the players still gotta do it on the ice. The best systems aren't worth shit if the players can't do what they need to. And the Sharks have players skilled enough to get it done against the Red Wings.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but i thought it was an upset since all of ESPN picked the wings? :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

lol, they also picked the Caps and Flyers too. :L

But to get serious for a second, the Detroit pick is based on lore, both Detroit's and San Jose's. You look at Detroit's body of work for the past 15 years and they're an easy pick without even really thinking about it. But they're not unbeatable. And the Sharks are not a team of chokers anymore. They still get made fun for that, hell I still make fun of them for that, but their body of work in the playoffs since 2008 (possibly with the exception of the Anaheim series) is not that of a team of chokers.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wings are still equally talented as the Sharks imhumbleo. These games have been very, very close and Zetts and franzenstein aren't 100 percent and it's obvious.

Can't wait for the game tonight.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watson and o'hallaran officiating the game tonight. this will get ugly....

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wpid-Detroit-Red-Wings-vs-San-Jose-Sharks.jpg

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...124-redwings-vs-sharks-game-1-apr-29-gdt.html

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...3206-redwings-vs-sharks-game-2-may-1-gdt.html

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...3463-sharks-vs-redwings-game-3-may-4-gdt.html

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...-vs-redwings-game-4-may-6-gdt.html#post738144

SERIES SCHEDULE:

Game 1 SAN JOSE WON 2-1 (OT); SHARKS LEAD SERIES 1-0
Game 2 SAN JOSE WON 2-1; SHARKS LEAD SERIES 2-0
Game 3 SAN JOSE WON 4-3 (OT); SHARKS LEAD SERIES 3-0
Game 4 Fri., May 6 7 p.m. at Joe Louis Arena on Versus/TSN only (no FSD)
Game 5* Sun., May 8 8 p.m. at HP Pavilion on Versus/TSN only (no FSD)
Game 6* Tue., May 10 TBD at Joe Louis Arena on Versus/TSN/FSD
Game 7* Thu., May 12 TBD at HP Pavilion on Versus/TSN/FSD

* If Necessary

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the game Sunday pushed up to a afternoon NBC game if the Bruins close out tonight? Or set in stone at 5pm pacific?

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure it's set in stone?

Thank God. Those early games suck.