• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2 Reasons the Niners lost this game

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you should go back to your original post. You said the Niners had a10 point lead and then Smith threw an interception that led to an Austin TD. I corrected you by saying the 10 pt lead came when Akers kicked a FG. Then you called me drunk by saying the Niners had only led 10 pts on one occassion. Then I posted abox score illustrating that the only 10 point lead the Niners had was after the Aker's lone FG which supported my initial post.

The point being, the Smith interception could not have happened when the Niners was leading by 10.

I made a mistake. Smith threw the INT when the 49ers were leading by 7 points. Does that really make a difference to you?

You did say that the 10 pt. lead in question was not the one I was talking about, which is what I was refering to. The 49ers had ONE 10 pt. lead the entire game.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Gore was the primary read, if not, then Smith eyed him hard after the snap... I don't think he looked once to the right.

I have heard it mentioned that Smith may almost automatically check down from the deep routes without considering making the throw.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I made a mistake. Smith threw the INT when the 49ers were leading by 7 points. Does that really make a difference to you?

You did say that the 10 pt. lead in question was not the one I was talking about, which is what I was refering to. The 49ers had ONE 10 pt. lead the entire game.

Absolutely. You were claiming that Smith jeopardized the 10-point lead with his INT. THat's simply false. Just eat crow and be done with it. You were wrong.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, this is for Sick who was asking about specific examples of problems with the OL:

1st and 10 at the start of the 2nd:

NFL Videos: Cowboys defense, sack, 9-yd loss

This is the busted screen. Three guys come through and hit Smith before he's even finished dropping back. Hard to believe Smith didn't fumble. V. Davis and Goodwin blew their blocks.

2nd and 10 in the 2nd:

NFL Videos: Cowboys defense, sack, 9-yd loss

Blitz, Staley goes outside to take Ware. Hatcher comes untouched and basically hits Smith as he hits his back foot on the dropback.

3rd and 8 in the early 3rd quarter:

NFL Videos: Cowboys defense, sack, 6-yd loss

Strange formation; unclear who is to blame and perhaps Smith should have called TO. Smith drops back, blitz off the back side which Gore picks up; Ware just blows by Staley with an inside swim move. Smith sidesteps him, but is hit immediately by Hatcher who got around Iupati to the outside.

2nd and 8 in the late-4th:

NFL Videos: Cowboys defense, sack, 8-yd loss

Play action, Ware comes off the right side completely untouched. Looks like one of the RBs should have picked him up. No chance to throw.

1st and 10 in late-3rd quarter:

NFL Videos: Cowboys defense, sack, 7-yd loss

Smith drops back and hesitates. Ware gets around Staley for the sack. Smith could have gotten this ball off or possibly stepped to his left.

I can't find the sixth sack here. That's the OT one. However, of these five, I would say the blocking (not just the OL) failed completely on four of them. On three, Smith was hit literally as or before he planted. On a fourth, Ware beat Staley as cleanly with a swim move as I have ever seen, though Smith initially avoided the pressure. Now, maybe Smith should be recognizing the blitzes and audibling out of the called plays. But even when the other team blitzes, we've got to give our QB time to at least hit his backfoot on the called pass. That's just inexcusable. All too often it seems that if Smith doesn't throw as soon as he hits his back foot, the pocket just collapses.

I've seen a fair bit of the Pats' first two games, and Brady just sits in the pocket. He could knit a sweater back there, despite a rookie RT and facing some blue-chip pass rushers like Shaun Philips and Cameron Wake. Now, neither of those guys is Ware. Not by a long shot. But we've got to be able to give our QB - whoever it is, but especially if it's Smith - more time to throw.

I think the one you are missing is the one where he pump fakes and then does nothing while waiting for the sack to come. That was a horrible play.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Smith's INT led to Dallas evening the score at 14 all in the third quarter. Different circumstances, but the result and more importantly my point still stand.

This was your point:

Don't say the defense should've held our 10 pt lead when Alex Smith gives them the ball in our own redzone.

And that doesn't stand. As you said, it was a different circumstance. We had a 10-point lead, and other than failing to sustain drives, Smith did not compound that. Dallas had to put together two long drives to tie and a long drive to win.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. You were claiming that Smith jeopardized the 10-point lead with his INT. THat's simply false. Just eat crow and be done with it. You were wrong.

I know it makes a difference to you Crimson. You'll take anything that will make Smith look better than he does. :hdn:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the one you are missing is the one where he pump fakes and then does nothing while waiting for the sack to come. That was a horrible play.

Yeah, I've gathered that was a rough play. I couldn't find the highlight (strange, as it might have been the most important sack of the game).

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was your point:

Don't say the defense should've held our 10 pt lead when Alex Smith gives them the ball in our own redzone.

And that doesn't stand. As you said, it was a different circumstance. We had a 10-point lead, and other than failing to sustain drives, Smith did not compound that. Dallas had to put together two long drives to tie and a long drive to win.

We had a seven point lead and Alex Smith throws an INT in our own redzone. We had a 10 pt. lead and Smith fails to put together one decent drive, missing WR after WR and taking sack after sack. We can do this all day.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know it makes a difference to you Crimson. You'll take anything that will make Smith look better than he does. :hdn:

You called someone out with incorrect information, all the better because, in typical fashion, you were dick about it and asked if he was drunk. Now you look like a chump trying to distract from the fact that you were wrong in your attempt to make Smith look worse than he did. Pathetic.

At least I'm relying on accurate information in my statements. You haven't even mastered that, yet. Your contribution to this thread is Cazic-esque.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We had a seven point lead and Alex Smith throws an INT in our own redzone. We had a 10 pt. lead and Smith fails to put together one decent drive, missing WR after WR and taking sack after sack. We can do this all day.

And you'll still be wrong at the end of it.

You've got the links right up there. Of those five sacks, which did Smith "take"?

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crimson, these guys are still seeing 2006 Alex playing out there. Clyde thinks Smith has "zero QB instincts" and is dangerous every time he drops back to pass.

In reality, with the help of a conservative game plan he has one of the top % rates in the league through two games, and has thrown one INT.

Its gotten to the point of "why bother". Any rational person sees yesterday's game and quickly comes up with 10 goats without mentioning Smith, who had an average game overall. These fruitcakes think he's the main cause of every loss, any week.....giving him all blame for any mistake he's connected to, and never once mentioning anything positive. Harbaugh's mistakes get blamed on Smith, Gore's shortcomings get blamed on Smith.....its like talking about Bush or Obama, just people so wound up they're incapable of objectivity and instinctively blame their boogeyman.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They are (1) Alex and (2) Smith. Period. Don't blame the DBs, they were on the field practically the entire game.

The OL gave him enough time. The first Ware sack was Staley's fault IMO, but the others were either Alex running into the pass rusher or holding onto it for too long.

The front 7 played well and applied a decent amount of pressure. Rogers had a great game IMO. The CB play from the other guys wasn't great but...

Alex Smith is a loser. That's it! His top WRs were out, but Romo was missing Dez. That didn't stop him. He missed a WIDE open Delanie Walker for a potential 1st down that turned into a punt which turned into a Dallas score. Dallas losed the OL because there was no passing threat all game.

I like what Harbaugh did, I think I like what the OL did, I LOVE what the DL is doing... but Alex Smith lost this game.

you act surprised?

to me it was more like he "didn't win the game"? the team - including Smith - played well and gave Alex a good opportunity to 'put it away'. he didn't have to take it all upon his shoulders, but alas........he didn't "step up".

the O-line didn't play well either, the pass protect gets all the attention but they weren't able to open gaps. our runs were stiffled all game.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crimson, these guys are still seeing 2006 Alex playing out there. Clyde thinks Smith has "zero QB instincts" and is dangerous every time he drops back to pass.

In reality, with the help of a conservative game plan he has one of the top % rates in the league through two games, and has thrown one INT.

Its gotten to the point of "why bother". Any rational person sees yesterday's game and quickly comes up with 10 goats without mentioning Smith, who had an average game overall. These fruitcakes think he's the main cause of every loss, any week.....giving him all blame for any mistake he's connected to, and never once mentioning anything positive. Harbaugh's mistakes get blamed on Smith, Gore's shortcomings get blamed on Smith.....its like talking about Bush or Obama, just people so wound up they're incapable of objectivity and instinctively blame their boogeyman.

The reality is that he ranks nearly dead last in passing yards. I am not a fan of this new rating system.

There were many reasons why the Niners lost but they also might have won with a decent QB.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The reality is that he ranks nearly dead last in passing yards. I am not a fan of this new rating system.

There were many reasons why the Niners lost but they also might have won with a decent QB.

He's 27th in yards and 29th in attempts. Seems to fit. Given that we're 24th in rushing yards, and Smith is responsible for 27% of those, and that we surrendered six sacks this week, I'd say the OL is every bit as much to blame.

We played without two key weapons in the passing game, and Smith still put up decent numbers. What were we missing in the run game?

And if you want to use the old rating system, Smith is 11th in the league.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

of course we could've won with a better QB, are you saying Alex Smith isn't a decent QB? :-)

EVERYONE and his grandma knows what we got in Alex Smith, are we now expecting miracles? he's a temporary QB but who didn't know that one either?

i DO feel he'll improve as the season goes on, cause everyone else will too. but lets be realistic about how much and how fast?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I have to agree with this. I can't think of one player on the team, other than possibly Rogers, who played a better game than Smith did. He wasn't great but no one else played better and had Smith's play drag them down.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think i read on barrows twitter that norris was walking in a boot.

Maybe we will see some Bruce Miller at FB. Not saying he will instantly help our running game but could be nice to see him get some time back there.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's 27th in yards and 29th in attempts. Seems to fit. Given that we're 24th in rushing yards, and Smith is responsible for 27% of those, and that we surrendered six sacks this week, I'd say the OL is every bit as much to blame.

We played without two key weapons in the passing game, and Smith still put up decent numbers. What were we missing in the run game?

And if you want to use the old rating system, Smith is 11th in the league.

not going so far as "every bit as much to blame", but agree the line isn't helping. to be fair to the line, it consist of five players and needs to become a unit (ie needs more time). whereas Alex should already be improving.

all fans want to see big passing plays, explosive plays, but without a running game to foster it, not going to happen. if you can't consistently pass protect, then at least blast a few holes for Gore?

btw - saying things like "We played without two key weapons in the passing game", is what Clyde is pissed off about. Alex Smith could've played better even without Crabtree and whomever else is the other weapon? these are the types of comments that come off as pure excuses.