• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2 Reasons the Niners lost this game

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, we had a seven-point lead at that point. We had a 10-point lead in the 4th quarter. Smith didn't turn the ball over in that quarter. The offense didn't do the D many favors (seems like there was a crucial sack that I can't speak to), but the D allowed an 80-yard TD drive, a 44-yard FG drive (halted by timing more than anything the D did), and a 77-yard FG drive to end the game.

Lol, and here comes Smith's Knight in Shining Armor. I was wondering when you'd show up.

Well I wasn't the one who brought up the 10 pt. lead. My point was that we only had ONE 10 pt. lead the entire game. Regardless, you're right - Smith's INT came in the 3rd quarter when we had a 7 pt. lead, AFTER the defense got an INT in our own redzone.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Defense needs to do themselves a favor and get them out of drives... if not, expect them to wear down....

I agree, i find myself feeling good about our defense a lot of the time. But its the same every year that they just cant keep the opposing team from driving it late down in the game to win.

Not sure if its beacuase the offense cant finish games or we just dont have the playmaker on defense to make that big play.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was AS the only reason we lost? No. But I can't remember watching an NFL team play where they are basically at 2nd or 3rd and WAY long for the entire game. It seems like we are always facing 2nd and 18 or 3rd and 12. This team can't convert those plays, so our punter gets a lot of practice honing his craft.

Is that ALL on AS? No. But a good deal of it is. I can't remember watching an NFL team take so many "YOU CAN'T TAKE A SACK HERE!!!!!" sacks. It seems like AS doesn't realize that there are points in the game where you CAN'T take a sack or throw a pick.Regardless of where the blame lays in this game, Smith continues to prove that he is NOT an NFL quarterback. If we go 15-1 this year (and we won't) he will be responsible for NONE of those wins. Let me rephrase that. How many games have the Patriots recorded as wins that would have been losses without Brady? Bad question because of the magic Cassell year. How many games have the Colts recorded as wins that would have been losses without Manning? How many games have the Chargers recorded as wins that would have been losses without Rivers?

In his entire career, the only games that come to mind that Smith won are the Seahawks game in November of 06, and Denver of the same season. But he has LOST a ton of games all by himself.

Regardless of whether or not Smith "lost" this game, I think it's safe to say the Smith experiment is a failure. We haven't had a legitimate passing game since Garcia was playing for Mooch. Which is absolutely affecting our run game and defense.

Excellent post Warty, and you've been repped for it. I especially agree with the bold - Smith has zero Quarterbacking instincts.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Probably. Of course, the Niners were missing their top two WRs.

I would say Alex is struggling based on his blocking. He hasn't fixed all of his problems by a long shot, but in two games he has shown dramatic improvement over last year. He played well enough to win this game if he gets more help from his OL and D.

They were. It was nice that the Cowboys had a healthy QB , healthy RBs and healthy WR and their O-line has played together for years.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just to point out, Smith was not out of the pocket at that point. Throwing away the ball will result to a "grounding" penalty which includes a loss of down

Oh ok... i didn't even think of that, i know some guys were protesting that he should've thrown it away(not sure if they knew about the grounding).... I didn't think he had time to read the field IMO... it was a bad call to begin with... run the ball on 2nd & 3 or attempt a pass further upfield than sideways....

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Let me rephrase it:

Alex Smith put the 49ers in a position to win the game today, and I think about 26 out of 32 defenses would have won today in their shoes.

From my perspective, that statement is just as accurate and maybe more so.
Should we break down the 2nd half play of the offense?
They had 7 drives in the 3rd and 4th quarter and OT.
How do you think they did?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Probably.

Of course, the Niners were missing their top two WRs.

I would say Alex is struggling based on his blocking. He hasn't fixed all of his problems by a long shot, but in two games he has shown dramatic improvement over last year. He played well enough to win this game if he gets more help from his OL and D.

We were missing only Edwards, thus we were missing only one of our top receivers. If you are referring to Crabtree, he is not one of our 'top two receivers'. I would place each of, Walker, Davis, Ginn, Williams and Morgan on a level equal to or above that of Crabtree.

Also, I'm not buying your gesture that Smith has shown a "dramatic improvement over last year". He looked like Alex in the Seattle game; he looked above average for Alex against Dallas.

Looking back over 2010, Alex Smith had games where he looked like Alex and he had games where he played better than his usual self; thus, by my QB calculator, after two games Alex Smith looks just about exactly as he did last year.

The only thing improved from last season is his ability to manufacturer a better passer rating; however, his QB'ing skills look about the same to me.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Smith has zero Quarterbacking instincts.

Signed, Cazic Carbon. Are you trying to become the new head troll?

At a bare minimum, you don't complete 70% of passes over two NFL games without some semblance of ability.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were. It was nice that the Cowboys had a healthy QB , healthy RBs and healthy WR and their O-line has played together for years.

And i was starting to get over the loss a little bit...:drink:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were missing only Edwards, thus we were missing only one of our top receivers. If you are referring to Crabtree, he is not one of our 'top two receivers'. I would place each of, Walker, Davis, Ginn, Williams and Morgan on a level equal to or above that of Crabtree.

Also, I'm not buying your gesture that Smith has shown a "dramatic improvement over last year". He looked like Alex in the Seattle game; he looked above average for Alex against Dallas.

Looking back over 2010, Alex Smith had games where he looked like Alex and he had games where he played better than his usual self; thus, by my QB calculator, after two games Alex Smith looks just about exactly as he did last year.

The only thing improved from last season is his ability to manufacturer a better passer rating; however, his QB'ing skills look about the same to me.

Correct. Alex Smith was his inconsistent self. He looked good in the first half, but horrible in the second. The same story we've seen the last few years.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signed, Cazic Carbon. Are you trying to become the new head troll?

At a bare minimum, you don't complete 70% of passes over two NFL games without some semblance of ability.

Your "arguments" and labeling of anybody who critcizes Smith's play as Cazic are getting tiresome. Find a new regime.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Also, I'm not buying your gesture that Smith has shown a "dramatic improvement over last year". He looked like Alex in the Seattle game; he looked above average for Alex against Dallas.Looking back over 2010, Alex Smith had games where he looked like Alex and he had games where he played better than his usual self; thus, by my QB calculator, after two games Alex Smith looks just about exactly as he did last year.

Spot on.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Your "arguments" and labeling of anybody who critcizes Smith's play as Cazic are getting tiresome. Find a new regime.

There has been plenty of criticism, and then there has been your crackhead-ish rants.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been plenty of criticism, and then there has been your crackhead-ish rants.

Everything I've posted in this thread was directly from the game. No rants, just straight and honest observations. Feel free to join the discussion as soon your done with your weaseling accusations.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everything I've posted in this thread was directly from the game. No rants, just straight and honest observations. Feel free to join the discussion as soon your done with your weaseling accusations.

So calling me drunk while your facts were way off is an honnest game observation?

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TOP for the 2nd half was close to 2:1 Cowboys. Yes, the defense may have been fatigued, BUT I re-watched the 1st drive of game. Romo shredded the defense on that drive. The 49ers were lucky that the Coyboys didn't get TD or even a FG. It shouldn't come to a surprise, that Romo teared the defense up whole 2/3 of the 2nd half.

Why did Romo have to re-enter the game?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lol, and here comes Smith's Knight in Shining Armor. I was wondering when you'd show up.

Well I wasn't the one who brought up the 10 pt. lead. My point was that we only had ONE 10 pt. lead the entire game. Regardless, you're right - Smith's INT came in the 3rd quarter when we had a 7 pt. lead, AFTER the defense got an INT in our own redzone.

I'm Smith's knight in shining armor? I got in an argument with MW several months ago when I said that Smith has been a major disappointment. I don't think he's gotten a fair shake, but I have also said for three years now that we need to move on. From what I saw of the game - and as said, that was far from all of it - Smith was definitely not the problem. I have not been able to pull up the sacks on NFL's video, so I can't speak to them, but the first half sacks were primarily due to the protection.

Regardless of who brought up the 10-point lead, you laid blame at Smith's feet for the comeback because of the INT. That's a pretty crucial misrepresentation.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TOP for the 2nd half was close to 2:1 Cowboys. Yes, the defense may have been fatigued, BUT I re-watched the 1st drive of game. Romo shredded the defense on that drive. The 49ers were lucky that the Coyboys didn't get TD or even a FG. It shouldn't come to a surprise, that Romo teared the defense up whole 2/3 of the 2nd half.

Why did Romo have to re-enter the game?

Should've broke his ribs.... cracking doesn't cut it anymore.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh ok... i didn't even think of that, i know some guys were protesting that he should've thrown it away(not sure if they knew about the grounding).... I didn't think he had time to read the field IMO... it was a bad call to begin with... run the ball on 2nd & 3 or attempt a pass further upfield than sideways....

I haven't seen the play, but could he have thrown it at his RB's feet?