• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

'14 AL Central Smack Talk Thread

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were talking on the radio this morning -- Detroit is actually shopping AJax around and that they may be in the market to go after Jacoby Ellsbury.

It could just be a rumor, but I really hope they don't go crazy and give Ellsbury a monster contract. I would love to have him on the team, but to get him to leave Boston, whatever team that signs him will likely have to give him a 6-8 year deal and for a player who relies on his speed -- I don't like that when he is 30 already.

I'd much rather keep the cheaper version of AJax they have in CF and go after someone that could give us consistent production in LF.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were talking on the radio this morning -- Detroit is actually shopping AJax around and that they may be in the market to go after Jacoby Ellsbury.

It could just be a rumor, but I really hope they don't go crazy and give Ellsbury a monster contract. I would love to have him on the team, but to get him to leave Boston, whatever team that signs him will likely have to give him a 6-8 year deal and for a player who relies on his speed -- I don't like that when he is 30 already.

I'd much rather keep the cheaper version of AJax they have in CF and go after someone that could give us consistent production in LF.

Cheaper version...really? you want to go cheap at this stage of the game...go for the win...you just went cheaper getting rid of Fielder...

wow, just wow, if they pull that off....its an absolute great move if they are going to push to really win the series. Ellsbury's speed for even 5 years, the Tigers haven't seen even that type of speed. Getting rid of Jackkkkson is also a win for the Tigers. Crap the Tigers are actually getting rid of the players that I keep making fun of (because they were/are not the right fit for the Tigers), this season might be tough to dislike any Tigers players.

Just think about it

Ellsbury
Kinsler
Cabrera
Vmart
Hunter
Castellanos
Dirks (or whoever)
Avila (McCann? in the 4 hole since Rangers didn't sign him)
Inglesias

Thats would be the best lineup that I have seen for the Tigers that could win it...combined with the SPs and the new bullpen they better get.

But of course, then the Tigers sign Phil Coke...he has to have pictures or related to someone high up...I still can't believe he keeps making the Tigers team......(did you count getting Coke as a Dombrowski move? maybe thats the relative)

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cheaper version...really? you want to go cheap at this stage of the game...go for the win...you just went cheaper getting rid of Fielder...

wow, just wow, if they pull that off....its an absolute great move if they are going to push to really win the series. Ellsbury's speed for even 5 years, the Tigers haven't seen even that type of speed. Getting rid of Jackkkkson is also a win for the Tigers. Crap the Tigers are actually getting rid of the players that I keep making fun of (because they were/are not the right fit for the Tigers), this season might be tough to dislike any Tigers players.

Well it's really a question of how many years Ellsbury can give you with his speed, especially when he's had a hard enough time staying healthy in his 20s.

If and when his speed does go, he doesn't have much to fall back on...he had a power stroke for 1 season and never hit 10 in any other year, and he's not a high OBP guy to where he can compensate if his legs/speed to go, in a way that a guy like Carlos Beltran was able to when his 40 steal days were gone.

If there was a way he'd go for a 3-4 year deal, it may be worth a shot, but I'd think 6-7 is what he gets.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's really a question of how many years Ellsbury can give you with his speed, especially when he's had a hard enough time staying healthy in his 20s.

If and when his speed does go, he doesn't have much to fall back on...he had a power stroke for 1 season and never hit 10 in any other year, and he's not a high OBP guy to where he can compensate if his legs/speed to go, in a way that a guy like Carlos Beltran was able to when his 40 steal days were gone.

If there was a way he'd go for a 3-4 year deal, it may be worth a shot, but I'd think 6-7 is what he gets.

still would be a better hitter and strikeout less than Jackkkkson...and Elsbury's SB percentage at 37 would still be better off than Jackkkkson.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still would be a better hitter and strikeout less than Jackkkkson...and Elsbury's SB percentage at *** 37 would still be better off than Jackkkkson.

Please tell me so I can understand that the word age should be added above? I ask, as a stolen base percentage of 37% is putrid.

And, assuming I am seeing this correctly then, Ellsbury's lifetime steal % is 83.97, whereas Jackson's is down at 74.19

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me so I can understand that the word age should be added above? I ask, as a stolen base percentage of 37% is putrid.

And, assuming I am seeing this correctly then, Ellsbury's lifetime steal % is 83.97, whereas Jackson's is down at 74.19

Of course he's talking about age, as we're discussing the possibility of Ellsbury getting a 7 year deal where he'd be around 37 when it's up.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he said 6-7 year contract...Ellsbury would be 37 years old and still more SB's and better percentage of success.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just heard, Beltran has narrowed it down to 2...and 1 is the Royals...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Detroit was looking to move A Jax my guess they would be trying to sign Choo. But thats a guess based upon Choo's high OBP and that is a stat Dave D mentions a lot.

I don't know what A Jax's value is after the playoffs? His high K rate has to scare off more than few teams.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Detroit was looking to move A Jax my guess they would be trying to sign Choo. But thats a guess based upon Choo's high OBP and that is a stat Dave D mentions a lot.

I don't know what A Jax's value is after the playoffs? His high K rate has to scare off more than few teams.

Think of it this way, who do you want leading off? The #1 goal for a Leadoff hitter is to get on base. Driving in runs is secondary to getting on as a leadoff hitter, correct? Therefore, OBP, and baserunning once you are on said bases are really the two main things you want in a leadoff hitter.

Kinsler: 343 OBP
Jackson: 336 OBP

Difference? .007 OBP Okay, Kinsler is a better baserunner, given. Kinsler> Jackson as a leadoff hitter.

But is it a big upgrade? Not really.

As for Choo? OBP: 423 OBP

Okay, if those 2013 numbers are at all sustainable, then he is an enormous upgrade as a leadoff hitter in comparison to both Kinsler and Jackson.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That city must have made a VERY positive impression on him when he was here before. What other reason would an aging slugger sign there, one who, before this year, was so desperate for a chance to play in and win a W.S?

Sorry Royals fans, that ain't happening in K.C in the near future.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That city must have made a VERY positive impression on him when he was here before. What other reason would an aging slugger sign there, one who, before this year, was so desperate for a chance to play in and win a W.S?

Sorry Royals fans, that ain't happening in K.C in the near future.

Logic would tend to agree with you. I honestly want to see this source Bums apparently has.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logic would tend to agree with you. I honestly want to see this source Bums apparently has.

I just know I could find nothing on it when I just checked. That said, and as I alluded to, maybe he just likes it there, or still has friends and family there? It would not for me, but for him, maybe that trumps both $$ and winning.

Time will tell...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read an article today that stated KC was in the mix, but it also stated that Texas, Seattle, Boston, NY, Cleveland and Baltimore have all shown interest.

I doubt Beltran, who will likely be signing his final contract, would limit the teams making offers this early. If KC could pull off the deal -- It would give them a veteran presence and a nice bat to put in the middle of the order.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd rather see the Tigers spend responsibly instead of overpaying to bring someone in, who will be a liability at the end of the deal. Detroit was lucky to be able to get out of the Fielder contract early, but giving a long contract to a player who relies on his speed is tough.

Obviously AJax is NOT Jacoby Ellsbury, but the upgrade isn't worth the extra 15 million or so per season, it would cost to bring in Ellsbury. I read an article today comparing the two -- here is a quote from the article:

Consider this: aside from the stolen bases, the Tigers have gotten nearly identical production out of their leadoff spot in the last four seasons. Jackson's .334 wOBA and 107 wRC+ are on par with Ellsbury's, and his career on-base percentage is within six points of Ellsbury's. Advanced defensive metrics gave Ellsbury the edge in center field last year, but overall Jackson has proven to be the superior defender. When you compare their likely salaries -- Jackson should see $5-6 million, while Ellsbury will likely get over $20 million -- and ages, there isn't much reason for the Tigers to pursue Ellsbury.

If they could sign Ellsbury to a 4 year deal -- I'd do cartwheels. I just think it is going to take at least 6 and more than likely 7 or 8 to sign him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellsbury
Kinsler
Cabrera
Vmart
Hunter
Castellanos
Dirks (or whoever)
Avila (McCann? in the 4 hole since Rangers didn't sign him)
Inglesias

No chance Detroit signs Ellsbury and then goes after McCann. I don't even think they will sign one of the players, let alone both.

The lineup you posted would be unreal, but Detroit doesn't have an unlimited payroll, so somewhere there is a end point to the amount they can spend. You may see the payroll go up 10 million, but I don't see it going any higher than that this year.

Personally -- I'd rather have Choo and put him in LF, keep Jackson, with Hunter in RF. Ellsbury just scares me with the injuries and the fact his game is all about speed.

To be honest -- I'd be fine if the Tigers didn't make another move to their lineup and just upgraded the bullpen with 2 or 3 new arms.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was talking about me & Iffy (Ronnie), Bums... Mgmt doesnt like us much. But who the fuck cares

Says the guy who PMed me 1,000 times to get me to fight his petty little battles like a punkass bitch, lied through his teeth to become a mod and then abused that trust to browbeat and bully whoever had a different opinion.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinsler has never posted a triple digit strike out total and twice has SO over 80 times.

He puts more balls in play than A Jax. The number of loss opportunities A Jax has experienced by not putting the ball in play has been huge.

I would rather have Choo than Ellsbury but thats just my opinion. Choo would give Detroit a great leadoff guy and with Kinsler and Hunter the top 3 would be solid.