• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 13 Virginia Tech @ 10 Miami - ABC 8pm

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your point on the play calling, however I feel there is no reason not to have Bush on the field or get creative with the play calling (i.e. with having both qbs, etc.). I am interested to see why you think he doesn't belong on the field or in passing situations? Everything I have seen from the Spring Game to games where he has played I feel he has played pretty well. This doesn't mean that Bush would replace Jackson, but with having an athlete like Bush around and not having some plays that can throw the defense off to me (or some level of creativity) is unacceptable. I hope to see our OC and Fu adapt a bit better in the future...

Jackson is a more natural QB. From his time in spring ball/summer last year (where he almost beat out Evans as a true freshman) up to now, he's shown more touch on his passes, better reads, and the ability to get the ball into tight windows. That's not to say he's perfect, but he's solid and better than Bush. Bush is more athletic but I never saw much passing ability in his practices. Plus, all reports indicate it was never really close between Jackson and Bush to win the job. Jackson is our best guy. If anything, it was Hooker that pushed more for the job that Bush and I'd rather save Hooker right now. Jackson is our best option. He's delivered plenty this year. The OC just needs to use him better at times and stop being so run focused

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush should have seen the field 100% last night. JJ was completely ineffective, and the play calling only made JJ's weaknesses show stronger. The OL played like a bunch of pussies. We've not been able to run all season. Instead of a quick slant or screen on 3rd and 5, we're running Jackson on a slow developing read option. He's not a good enough runner to do that. I seriously have no idea why we we're incapable of throwing the ball more than 12 yards down the field. If the WRs can't get any separation ever, or the OL is really that bad, they have no business being on the field.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bush should have seen the field 100% last night. JJ was completely ineffective, and the play calling only made JJ's weaknesses show stronger. The OL played like a bunch of pussies. We've not been able to run all season. Instead of a quick slant or screen on 3rd and 5, we're running Jackson on a slow developing read option. He's not a good enough runner to do that. I seriously have no idea why we we're incapable of throwing the ball more than 12 yards down the field. If the WRs can't get any separation ever, or the OL is really that bad, they have no business being on the field.

^^ This. While I agree with wildturkey that Jackson is a better passing qb, there is no reason to have an athlete who can run sit the bench when it is obvious we need another dimension in terms of running the ball (even if they are limited plays). Both at Memphis and last year, Fu's bread and better is having a bigger qb that can run RPOs effectively. If you don't have a qb that is also natural runner operating Fu's system then our ability to produce on offense is severely limited.

I also think Fu is protecting JJ for some reason or another (whether he really can't throw vertical / deep balls or would not like his freshman to be put in that situation) and it is definitely a detriment when you have an good DL like Miami who can rush the qb.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where to put this in terms of a thread so figured I would post here. Attached are the running stats for VT from 2016 to the present. A viable runner / running qb plays a big part in Fu's offense (as most know). However the stats are pretty telling. From what I see, we need to get AJ Bush the ball some or have special packages.

JvyDHX2.png