• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking that a step further, they have the Lightning, Pens (x2), Caps (x3), Leafs (x2) still on the schedule. Some with back to back and 3 in 4 complications.

Long odds, but it's nice to at least have a sliver of a chance and see the team playing well.
We are right in the midst of our annual 15-20 game stretch were we look unbeatable and get our hopes sky high. This has been a pattern for years.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would this team decide to even talk about bringing in Talbot with the run they are on

Stolie and Hart have earned the jobs.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laberge activated today as well. I had high hopes for him when he was drafted (2nd round 2016), but he's only played about a seasons' worth of games since then. Hopefully he gets back on the horse now and can battle back.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would this team decide to even talk about bringing in Talbot with the run they are on

Stolie and Hart have earned the jobs.

More about the possibility of adding an asset for taking a salary dump from Edmonton I guess. Plus the history with Hart.

Would indicate that Fletcher isn't very high on Stolarz though. I can definitely understand the concern of going in to 19-20 with a Hart/Stolarz combo. If Hart hits a rough patch you want someone who can come in and take the reigns for a little while. Stolarz might be able to do that talent wise, but he's also only played 21 games (AHL+NHL) in the last 2 seasons due to injury. If Stolarz gets hurt while Hart is struggling, then you're in the same boat you were in at the beginning of this year with the goalie circus.

Like I said, I like Stolarz, but I can see that thought process. If Fletcher likes Sandstrom, Ersson, and Hart, and isn't interested in an injury prone backup, I can see it. Its the same story with having Neuvirth as your backup and Fletcher probably doesn't want to repeat that.

Hopefully that's not the case, but Stolarz has had some bad injuries.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laberge activated today as well. I had high hopes for him when he was drafted (2nd round 2016), but he's only played about a seasons' worth of games since then. Hopefully he gets back on the horse now and can battle back.
Concussion hurt his game.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some really good posting in here lately. Keep it up!!!

Seems to me Simmonds would be a great fit in Boston. His play has been so-so at best lately though, so I don't think he fetches a 1st and a good prospect anymore. Probably just one of those. Still, I'm all for moving him at this point. They can still talk with him about re-signing in the offseason.

As to Talbot, I like this move. Potential good chemistry with Hart, and a trade now would give them a chance to see what they really have in him. If he plays well, you re-sign him over Stolarz. If not, you can go Stolarz if needed. I'm not sold on Stoly by any stretch given his injury history and the fact that he's played reasonably well but certainly not great, and if he's your #2 and there's a further drop off to your top AHL goalie I'm really concerned especially after what they've been through this year. I definitely can't say he's "earned it" yet.

I'm not worried about moving a guy like Raffl unless the return is at least a 3rd. Anything less and I just keep him and lose him for nothing if needed, given the current positive team chemistry.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmonds to Boston for a 2019 1st.

Elliot to Edmonton for Talbot and a 4th.

A 3rd to Chicago for John Hayden (has Wayne Simmonds-lite potential).

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the draft thing really got me thinking. Looking at the number of draft picks each team has made in the 1st or 2nd round that has made the NHL. Since 2010, the Flyers rank:

11th in avg draft position (this is a little wonky because I didn't include guys who haven't played in the NHL)
21st in games played
21st in points (Excluding goalies)
16th in ppg (Excluding goalies)
T15th in number of players to play in the NHL

Not very flattering at all really. Tainted some by Homer's tenure (fewer picks), but those aren't great numbers.

Maybe someday I'll look through including players that haven't played an NHL game to see who has missed on the most picks.
Go back and look at the penqueens draft positions when they were able to get MAF, Malkin and Criesby. It's a complete joke how badly they tanked....

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sportsnet talked about the Flyers acquiring Cam Talbot from the Oilers last night. Their thought process was, Hart will need a backup, preferably a veteran to help his development and he's already got a history with Talbot (trained together in the summer). The Oilers need to clear cap space to bring Sekera off LTIR, so they were brainstorming an Elliot for Talbot type deal, possible the Flyers might get a draft pick in addition.

Talbot is a UFA at the end of the year, 4.1M against the cap this season.

Seems like a fairly wise move. Even without re-signing him. But I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Talbot to a back-up contract, 1-2M for a year or two.
I could live with this as it gets rid of eliott and allows Stoly to get some time in the minors. Next year Stoly can back up Hart...let Talbot move on.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and look at the penqueens draft positions when they were able to get MAF, Malkin and Criesby. It's a complete joke how badly they tanked....

Oh ya. They were just as bad as the Sabres were.

2002 - Whitney (5)
2003 - MAF (1)
2004 - Malkin (2)
2005 - Crosby (1)
2006 - Staal (2)

It's pretty damn easy to build a dynasty when you have that start with.

Unless of course you're the Oilers.. god are they bad.

2010 - Hall (1)
2011 - Nugent-Hopkins (1)
2012 - Yakupov (1)
2013 - Nurse (7)
2014 - Draisaitl (3)
2015 - McDavid (1)
2016 - Puljujarvi (4)

How the hell do you not win a Stanley Cup when you draft in the top 7, seven years in a row? Including 4 first overall picks.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some really good posting in here lately. Keep it up!!!

Seems to me Simmonds would be a great fit in Boston. His play has been so-so at best lately though, so I don't think he fetches a 1st and a good prospect anymore. Probably just one of those. Still, I'm all for moving him at this point. They can still talk with him about re-signing in the offseason.

As to Talbot, I like this move. Potential good chemistry with Hart, and a trade now would give them a chance to see what they really have in him. If he plays well, you re-sign him over Stolarz. If not, you can go Stolarz if needed. I'm not sold on Stoly by any stretch given his injury history and the fact that he's played reasonably well but certainly not great, and if he's your #2 and there's a further drop off to your top AHL goalie I'm really concerned especially after what they've been through this year. I definitely can't say he's "earned it" yet.

I'm not worried about moving a guy like Raffl unless the return is at least a 3rd. Anything less and I just keep him and lose him for nothing if needed, given the current positive team chemistry.
I agree with everything here especially the chemistry between Talbot and Hart. Talbot has been a mentor for Hart since he was a young kid dreaming of the NHL.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ya. They were just as bad as the Sabres were.

2002 - Whitney (5)
2003 - MAF (1)
2004 - Malkin (2)
2005 - Crosby (1)
2006 - Staal (2)

It's pretty damn easy to build a dynasty when you have that start with.

Unless of course you're the Oilers.. god are they bad.

2010 - Hall (1)
2011 - Nugent-Hopkins (1)
2012 - Yakupov (1)
2013 - Nurse (7)
2014 - Draisaitl (3)
2015 - McDavid (1)
2016 - Puljujarvi (4)

How the hell do you not win a Stanley Cup when you draft in the top 7, seven years in a row? Including 4 first overall picks.
At what point does the Pittsburgh tank job story die? This happened so long ago and so many things have happened since then why do we as fans keep bringing up something that happened 15 years ago. As you clearly have outlined here tanking is no sure thing so i would have to say its about time us as Flyers fans stop with the Pittsburgh tanked theory and go out and beat their ass.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Home and Home with the Red Wings. It would make it a lot easier to get the points needed to sneak in with a 4 point weekend. Do we see Meyers this weekend ? or Morin or both?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmonds to Boston for a 2019 1st.

Elliot to Edmonton for Talbot and a 4th.

A 3rd to Chicago for John Hayden (has Wayne Simmonds-lite potential).
I just read an article the Bruins are looking to get Stone ahead of Simmonds.

Id be very happy if we could do and Elliot for Talbot and a 4th.

If you are gonna replace Simmonds might as well go for a kid who has Simmonds-lite potential and we do have three third round pick next year and amybe another for Raffl.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife wanted some Sherries Berries, you know the 40 dollars for 8 chocolate covered Strawberries, I asked her since I'm old and my balls are kind of saggy and look like Strawberries dipped in chocolate if that would be good enough, would dwf be cheaper.
Hope You had a nice holiday at home last night. :D

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Home and Home with the Red Wings. It would make it a lot easier to get the points needed to sneak in with a 4 point weekend. Do we see Meyers this weekend ? or Morin or both?
I'd like to see both, I think getting some of the kids up is helping to because they are hungry to play well and it's rubbing off on the vets. Hope they can get into another good run make it interesting til the end.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see both, I think getting some of the kids up is helping to because they are hungry to play well and it's rubbing off on the vets. Hope they can get into another good run make it interesting til the end.
Im liking watching the kids play and get experience and more are on the way in Meyers and Morin and maybe Lebarge. I have to assume all of the young players getting experience this season will pay off. It already is paying off with Hart and if Hexy would've listened to you he would've been up a month earlier.