• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has to have been the final straw.
Either behind the bench or on the ice...something has to happen, and again, I don't mean window dressing moving 4th liners around.

I mean a core player moved. I mean a new head coach and at least one if not two position coaches.
Why are we exempting Hextall?

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@mall3013 are you doing fantasy this year? If you had the McKinnon line you would already have won by now lol.
I am in a league on espn. However I don't have any Avs players this season. Just got back from Columbus. Watched my Buckeyes steamroll Michigan. Great day! I sent the Flyers dropped a goose egg. Unreal.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in a league on espn. However I don't have any Avs players this season. Just got back from Columbus. Watched my Buckeyes steamroll Michigan. Great day! I sent the Flyers dropped a goose egg. Unreal.
Mich is way over rated. Ohio is way more balanced and it showed.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Open twitter.. refresh twitter.. sigh.. shed a single tear.. repeat

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am trying to take solace in the fact that it took Hextall 3 days after clean out day to fire Berube - that Ron works in mysterious ways... but i is no getting any easier

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this in the classified ads today:

For Sale: used goalie equipment, pads blocker, helmet, glove and stick. Barely used, like new. Email all inquiries - [email protected],

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we exempting Hextall?

For me personally, Hextall just has/had a longer leash. By and large, I've really liked what's he done with this team. They've got a long of young players that are good, arguably the deepest prospect pool in the NHL, and almost $10M in cap space. When he took over they were over the cap, had 0 prospects, and Giroux/Voracek were about the only top 6/top 4 players on the team. He's done a fantastic job getting them this far.

I haven't liked Hakstol for over a year. He wore out his leash then, so he's still the drum I beat today.

Lappy wore out his leash 2 years ago for me, so more than anything he's got to be the first to go IMO.

But Hextall botched this offseason. And I say that as someone who likes the JvR signing. But the goaltending situation and PK situations are a complete failure on his part. Everyone knew they were question marks at the end of last season and to come in to this season having done absolutely nothing differently, was terrible mismanagement.

That being said, he has an opportunity to make corrections. He can make trades and he can fire coaches. The longer he waits to do so, the less leash he has. My worry is, he's giving the players and the coach a pass because Elliot and Neuvirth have been hurt most of the season so far. The reality is, they're going to be hurt most of this season, so he's got to get over that as an excuse. Can't let the season go by and just say 'well if we had healthy goalies we would've gone somewhere'

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me personally, Hextall just has/had a longer leash. By and large, I've really liked what's he done with this team. They've got a long of young players that are good, arguably the deepest prospect pool in the NHL, and almost $10M in cap space. When he took over they were over the cap, had 0 prospects, and Giroux/Voracek were about the only top 6/top 4 players on the team. He's done a fantastic job getting them this far.

I haven't liked Hakstol for over a year. He wore out his leash then, so he's still the drum I beat today.

Lappy wore out his leash 2 years ago for me, so more than anything he's got to be the first to go IMO.

But Hextall botched this offseason. And I say that as someone who likes the JvR signing. But the goaltending situation and PK situations are a complete failure on his part. Everyone knew they were question marks at the end of last season and to come in to this season having done absolutely nothing differently, was terrible mismanagement.

That being said, he has an opportunity to make corrections. He can make trades and he can fire coaches. The longer he waits to do so, the less leash he has. My worry is, he's giving the players and the coach a pass because Elliot and Neuvirth have been hurt most of the season so far. The reality is, they're going to be hurt most of this season, so he's got to get over that as an excuse. Can't let the season go by and just say 'well if we had healthy goalies we would've gone somewhere'

Agreed. For me, Hextall has until the end of the calendar year to make a change, either coaches or players, before I begin to beat the Fire Hextall drum. I’ve liked his GM philosophy to date in terms of stockpiling assets, but now is the time to start moving some of those assets to fill the inevitable holes.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See Ron, this is how it’s done. A good GM makes and wins a trade like this. Yes, a bad GM loses it, but a do nothing GM can only hide for so long...

NHL trade news: Coyotes acquire Nick Schmaltz from Blackhawks for Dylan Strome, Brendan Perlini

That's a real interesting trade. One that the Flyers could be on either side of honestly. I'll be curious to see who comes out on top there. I like that deal for the Blackhawks TBH, but the Yotes get the best player as of today.

But they could make a similar trade like that, just to shake things up a little and change the dynamic a little.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a real interesting trade. One that the Flyers could be on either side of honestly. I'll be curious to see who comes out on top there. I like that deal for the Blackhawks TBH, but the Yotes get the best player as of today.

But they could make a similar trade like that, just to shake things up a little and change the dynamic a little.

Agreed that the Yotes got the best player as of today, but Perlini is definitely an NHL player. Strome is the real wildcard. He’s shown little to date but the Hawks are banking on him recreating the OHL chemistry with DeBrincat. Anyway yes, the point is more about making a change intended to improve your team. You have to start taking chances at some point. If you’re always looking for the “perfect deal”, you’ll do nothing and be out of a job anyway.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand it being tough to fix the goalie situation at this point, and can even give a pass on not fixing the 3C hole for the same reason. However, there is NO excuse for not making changes to coaches/players in terms of trying to fix the PK. None.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand it being tough to fix the goalie situation at this point, and can even give a pass on not fixing the 3C hole for the same reason. However, there is NO excuse for not making changes to coaches/players in terms of trying to fix the PK. None.

Surely there was something that could've been done on the goaltender front too. You don't want to break the bank on a big/long term goalie, but surely they could've done better than coming in to this season with Neuvirth in your plans again. Read in one of the articles today he's spent more time on IR than off IR as a Flyer. I bet you could say the same for the majority of his career. Coming in with any plans to have him play in net at all was a mistake. At the very least upgrade your backup so when Elliot inevitably gets hurt again, you're not turning to a waiver claim.

3C is what it is, I agree with you there. I know it's blasphemous these days, but I would consider playing G at C. Only reason not to is 'the long game' again. Trying to stretch out his all-star level production a few more years by 'resting' him on the wing. But very few teams could match Giroux-Couturier-Patrick-Laughton down the middle (assuming Couturier and Giroux aren't totally dependent on each other). You've got JvR on the 3rd line and Lindblom on the 4th line to slide up for LWs.

But unfortunately, i'm not even sure that matters. With the goaltending they're getting these days, the Flyers win or lose based on if they get a good goaltending performance or a dogshit one.

Last edited: