• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

1) Houston Rockets vs. 2) Golden State Warriors

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care who you are. An extra 40 million is tough to leave on the table. But I think he'll stay in GS.

Yeah, this was directed at Wiggy who said that I was being completely unrealistic/unreasonable to think the Warriors could keep the team together. I had mentioned multiple times that Klay has indicated he was willing to take a pay cut to stay and was rebuffed. Also said that if there was a creative way to get around this, the Warriors could do it. Wiggy said it was impossible.

@WiggyRuss

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the biggest hurdle to keeping the squad together will be Steve Kerr. This year his health hasn't been a huge issue, but he's continually indicated he's got some lingering pain. Maybe Kerr doesn't coach past another 2 years. That's when things could get interesting from a team perspective.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this was directed at Wiggy who said that I was being completely unrealistic/unreasonable to think the Warriors could keep the team together. I had mentioned multiple times that Klay has indicated he was willing to take a pay cut to stay and was rebuffed. Also said that if there was a creative way to get around this, the Warriors could do it. Wiggy said it was impossible.

@WiggyRuss

Figures wiggy had a hand in this. Didn't realize that. With the Warriors it seems like nothing is impossible for them right now. And I'd bet money on Klay staying before I'd bet on him leaving.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the biggest hurdle to keeping the squad together will be Steve Kerr. This year his health hasn't been a huge issue, but he's continually indicated he's got some lingering pain. Maybe Kerr doesn't coach past another 2 years. That's when things could get interesting from a team perspective.

Health will probably be the reason he's forced to leave the bench. Which is a shame, I think he's a great HC.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@WiggyRuss
i said 90% chance he does not resign--- i said 99.9999999% chance that either him or draymond is gone-- as i said- cant carry 4 max players-- its the CBA

if he leaves a huge chunk of change on the table even though he has never before received a major contract I will be legitimately shocked.

If this was a guy getting his 2nd big deal and already had a ton of money n the bank id think different

As I kind of ran down with @trojanfan12 the other day - its incredible how much taxes and agents fees take down the value of a deal-

say someone in California gets a 200M dollar contract....over the life of that contract

200M

76M goes to Federal tax
27M goes to state tax
20M goes to agent fees
3M goes to local tax

74M is take home----- thats what he gets before spending a penny on a supposed 200M dollar deal

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figures wiggy had a hand in this. Didn't realize that. With the Warriors it seems like nothing is impossible for them right now. And I'd bet money on Klay staying before I'd bet on him leaving.
its impossible to carry 4 max players on this cap in the repeater tax.

only reason durant got to GSW was Curry was on a majorly team friendly deal due to his early career ankle issues, and that Klay and Draymond got locked in before the large cap jump.

4 players on "new" max deals- especially when 2 of the players are ROSE RULE maxes like Durants and Currys, just cannot survive on the same cap. Its impossible

its not the Warriors fault. Its just the CBA doing what the CBA was designed to do.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its impossible to carry 4 max players on this cap in the repeater tax.

only reason durant got to GSW was Curry was on a majorly team friendly deal due to his early career ankle issues, and that Klay and Draymond got locked in before the large cap jump.

4 players on "new" max deals- especially when 2 of the players are ROSE RULE maxes like Durants and Currys, just cannot survive on the same cap. Its impossible

its not the Warriors fault. Its just the CBA doing what the CBA was designed to do.

So you're saying there's a chance?

disclaimer: I didn't read after the words it's impossible

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Marcus Thompson II of The Athletic, the maximum extension Thompson can sign with the Warriors when taking his $18.9 million salary next season into account is a five-year deal worth $121 million.

If Thompson plays out his contract and signs a new deal with the Dubs after the 2018-19 season, he can make $188 million over five years.

(also- my MISTAKE above--- agent fees are cappeda t 4%--- i thought htey were 10% for some reason- i swear i had a reason for thinking that- but it was very very wrong)

just for shits and giggles....

121M

38% federal tax rate- highest bracket- 46M in taxes
13.3% cali tax rate- highest in the country- 16M in taxes
4% agent fee- 5M in fees
1.5% local tax- 2M

so....before spending a penny...on a 121M dollar deal- Klay would get about 52M

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, cap space? I'm no longer super worried about him leaving but sure you can post laughing yellow dudes if it makes you happy.

If Houston have an oppoortunity at Lebron, they definitely could shed salary to get him, Miami as well

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can just get Mike Brown, no biggie

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Houston have an oppoortunity at Lebron, they definitely could shed salary to get him, Miami as well

Houston we have a problem. It's called Golden State.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may want to send that message, but Houston isn't some scrub team. They are healthy, they have at LEAST as good of an offense as GS (although it's kind of simple, zero midrange, all drives and kick outs and pick and rolls, play after play), and thay have HFA. Hope you're right but I think it's naive to think they don't have at least a game or two where they shoot really well and win.

Not naive at all.

The Rockets area championship caliber team. My prediction has nothing to do with them. It is all about the Warriors. This is their greatest test yet, and they will be put to prove a point. The Rockets are good enough to win a game or two. I just don't think they will.

By the way, I have correctly predicted the number of games the Dubs would win in 5 of 6 series since they landed KD. Most everyone else has been wrong because they were too conservative. IMO GS is the greatest team ever, and they are out to prove it. I think 32-3 would be really tough to argue with.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WiggyRuss

From Marcus Thompson of The Athletic. He reports:

"According to multiple sources, Thompson and the Warriors have already engaged in discussions regarding a contract extension. If the sides agree this offseason, Thompson would not hit the free-agent market for up to another five years.

The most he could get in the first year of an extension is a 120 percent raise. With the highest annual increases allowed, that would put Thompson’s extension at four years and just over $102 million. Add the $18.9 million he is due to make in 2018-19 and Thompson is looking at a maximum five-year salary of $121 million should he sign an extension.

However, Thompson probably understands that the maximum is not really on the table. The Warriors would almost be forced to let him walk if he demanded a new deal averaging $37.6 million per year since Stephen Curry and, presumably, Kevin Durant would be making the maximum. Three maximum salaries — for players in their 30s — and luxury-tax penalties figure to be too high even for the Warriors.

What’s more, two sources said talks have included Thompson taking an extension with an average of around $23 million a year — which would come out to about four years, $92 million, nearly $50 million less than he could get on the open market — and puts his five-year total at $111 million.

The choice between $150 million in a place he doesn’t know or $110 million in a place he knows he loves — it isn’t that hard for Thompson, those close to him say. In the end, he is still set for life financially. And he still has a lucrative deal with China-based shoe company Anta, and other endorsements such as Chocolate Milk and Body Armor, to supplement his NBA salary."

:suds:

This is what I have been saying for 2 years.

Those predicting a Warrior break up are going to be very disappointed. I think the core 4 will Be together for awhile.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@WiggyRuss
I was under the impression that discussing any topic with Wiggy intelligently - was not possible

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression that discussing any topic with Wiggy intelligently - was not possible

I think he knows what he's talking about sometimes. But alotta his stuff is overly homeristic :blah::blah::blah:.

Dan Gilbert in 2020!!! :usa2:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said 90% chance he does not resign--- i said 99.9999999% chance that either him or draymond is gone-- as i said- cant carry 4 max players-- its the CBA

if he leaves a huge chunk of change on the table even though he has never before received a major contract I will be legitimately shocked.

If this was a guy getting his 2nd big deal and already had a ton of money n the bank id think different

As I kind of ran down with @trojanfan12 the other day - its incredible how much taxes and agents fees take down the value of a deal-

say someone in California gets a 200M dollar contract....over the life of that contract

200M

76M goes to Federal tax
27M goes to state tax
20M goes to agent fees
3M goes to local tax

74M is take home----- thats what he gets before spending a penny on a supposed 200M dollar deal

You are completely ignoring the most important factor here.

Klay's dad was an NBA player. He didn't grow up poor and he was never wanting for money. Most people value their personal happiness over $, and it isn't like the Warriors will be compensating him with peanuts.

I love my current work situation because I enjoy the people I am working with. Much like Klay. I would not even consider leaving unless the $ difference was life changing. The difference between $150 million and $100 million is not life changing for someone who has always lived affluently. He will be able to put food on the table for his models either way.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are completely ignoring the most important factor here.

Klay's dad was an NBA player. He didn't grow up poor and he was never wanting for money. Most people value their personal happiness over $, and it isn't like the Warriors will be compensating him with peanuts.

I love my current work situation because I enjoy the people I am working with. Much like Klay. I would not even consider leaving unless the $ difference was life changing. The difference between $150 million and $100 million is not life changing for someone who has always lived affluently. He will be able to put food on the table for his models either way.
i didnt grow up poor either---- but mychal thompson isnt a multi millionaire....hes prob not even a millionaire on his own without klay.

mychal thompsons career earnings have zero effect on klays decision--- because like you said----- if you are willing to give up 65M what the hell is the difference the 1.5M (generously) your dad might have?

my point is that Klay has never received a major contract- and that when all is said and done- a "sticker price" of 121 million in the NBA comes down to considerably less than half that into Klay's actual pocket before he spends a dime.