• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 1) Boston Celtics vs 8) Chicago Bulls

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a guy like George or Butler allows everyone to move down a slot--- AND makes everyone better- gives everyone more room, elevates everyones game.

You cant underestimate the value of a star player in his prime like those 2 guys- Butler and George.
Yep. Just look at all the success in Chicago and Indiana.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I am loathe to say it...I actually agree with Wiggy on this.

The Celtics had the opportunity to land a young star player (George is 26, Butler 27) who can immediately put them in the conversation with the Cavs as the best team in the East.

Either of them would allow every other player on the team to assume a role that better suits them. If they added one of them to the current roster, are they good enough to beat the Cavs? Probably not. But given the defense the Cavs have been playing, they'd have better than a punchers chance, imo.

Plus, as much of an athletic freak as Lebron is, the guy is 32 and likely only has a couple of seasons left at his current level of play. Especially if he has to keep playing the kind of minutes he's been having to play.

Instead, Ainge opts to "stand pat" and now they are faced with the very real possibility of what would be a very embarrassing playoff loss that may cost them their coach. All so they can draft another point guard who will likely take 2-4 seasons to develop into a star. Or may never develop into a star.

Sometimes you have to strike when the iron is hot. The Celtics didn't. We'll see if it was the right choice or not.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are the suns or lakers or kings- hey- waiting 3-4 years for those guys to develop is fine---- if you are the Celts it screws up their entire timing with bradley, smart, thomas etc....why even sign horford then? makes no sense.

Exactly. The Lakers are pretty much where the Celtics were 2-3 years or so ago. They are in a position to be patient, get the right coach and develop their guys. Doing that will hopefully lead them to where the Celtics were this year, needing one more guy to complete the puzzle (or get really, really close to it). Hopefully, when the Lakers are there, they will pull the trigger on such a trade.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Just look at all the success in Chicago and Indiana.

Chicago looks like they are about to be pretty successful against your Celtics. Also, had either gone to the Celtics, they'd have a better, younger supporting cast. They are 26 and 27 respectively. We'd be looking at the Celtics being contenders for the next 6+ years at least.

On the other hand, those 80's Celtics and Lakers love the rivalry like no others. Maybe Ainge is waiting for the Lakers to catch up? lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't like Horford's game. He is not very very good at anything IMO

Yeah, he's kind of a "jack of all trades, master of none." He's good at many things, but great at nothing. He also seems a bit soft for a big.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The Lakers are pretty much where the Celtics were 2-3 years or so ago. They are in a position to be patient, get the right coach and develop their guys. Doing that will hopefully lead them to where the Celtics were this year, needing one more guy to complete the puzzle (or get really, really close to it). Hopefully, when the Lakers are there, they will pull the trigger on such a trade.

The Lakers are just fine where they're @ right now. No need for improvement @ this time.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago looks like they are about to be pretty successful against your Celtics. Also, had either gone to the Celtics, they'd have a better, younger supporting cast. They are 26 and 27 respectively. We'd be looking at the Celtics being contenders for the next 6+ years at least.

On the other hand, those 80's Celtics and Lakers love the rivalry the like no others. Maybe Ainge is waiting for the Lakers to catch up? lol
They are doing well against my Celtics because this Celtics team is not very good. Butler or George would not be enough to elevate this team to anything, especially if core pieces had to move to get one of them.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I am loathe to say it...I actually agree with Wiggy on this.

The Celtics had the opportunity to land a young star player (George is 26, Butler 27) who can immediately put them in the conversation with the Cavs as the best team in the East.

Either of them would allow every other player on the team to assume a role that better suits them. If they added one of them to the current roster, are they good enough to beat the Cavs? Probably not. But given the defense the Cavs have been playing, they'd have better than a punchers chance, imo.

Plus, as much of an athletic freak as Lebron is, the guy is 32 and likely only has a couple of seasons left at his current level of play. Especially if he has to keep playing the kind of minutes he's been having to play.

Instead, Ainge opts to "stand pat" and now they are faced with the very real possibility of what would be a very embarrassing playoff loss that may cost them their coach. All so they can draft another point guard who will likely take 2-4 seasons to develop into a star. Or may never develop into a star.

Sometimes you have to strike when the iron is hot. The Celtics didn't. We'll see if it was the right choice or not.

I mean if they wanted to win now why not trade high draft picks for a star, that is only 26. He is still young. I mean even if you draft a young star in the making how is he really going to help this team NOW. I would give up 2 1st rounders for PG...maybe that is just me though.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean if they wanted to win now why not trade high draft picks for a star, that is only 26. He is still young. I mean even if you draft a young star in the making how is he really going to help this team NOW. I would give up 2 1st rounders for PG...maybe that is just me though.

You're crazy

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are doing well against my Celtics because this Celtics team is not very good. Butler or George would not be enough to elevate this team to anything, especially if core pieces had to move to get one of them.

I disagree. From what I heard, no core pieces were asked for, just picks. Even if they were asked for, as long as it's one guy and he's not named IT...you make the trade.

The Celtics are a very good young team. They have most of the pieces they need to be a title contender. What they lack, imo, is a star who can take some of the pressure off of IT.

Right now, they have a star in IT, a couple of guys who are very good, but not stars in Bradley and Crowder, a big in Horford who is a good all around player, but not great and a serviceable player in Olynyk. If they get a PG-13 or Butler, they have a guy who takes the pressure of off everyone else.

Right now, part of the reason the Bulls are having success is they are able to slow IT by focusing on and being physical with him. With a PG-13 or Butler on the team, they can't do that nearly as successfully.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're crazy

Then so am I, because I agree. Sooner or later, a team has to stop trying to build through the draft and take the next step through either FA or trade. Imo, the Celtics are at that point.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradley: I could hear Rondo say Celts 'gave up'

BOSTON -- As the Celtics unraveled in the fourth quarter of Tuesday's Game 2 loss to the Chicago Bulls, Avery Bradley could hear former teammate Rajon Rondo suggesting that Boston had packed it in.

And Bradley couldn't really disagree with him.

"I looked around and a few times in the game guys were putting their heads down, I think getting down on themselves," Bradley said. "But as a team, we have to stay together. The other team is looking at that. They're using that as motivation for themselves.

"I could even hear Rondo, like, 'Yeah, they gave up. They gave up.' But you never can let a team see that. You have to continue to be positive and go out there and play hard, no matter what the outcome is."

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. From what I heard, no core pieces were asked for, just picks. Even if they were asked for, as long as it's one guy and he's not named IT...you make the trade.

The Celtics are a very good young team. They have most of the pieces they need to be a title contender. What they lack, imo, is a star who can take some of the pressure off of IT.

Right now, they have a star in IT, a couple of guys who are very good, but not stars in Bradley and Crowder, a big in Horford who is a good all around player, but not great and a serviceable player in Olynyk. If they get a PG-13 or Butler, they have a guy who takes the pressure of off everyone else.

Right now, part of the reason the Bulls are having success is they are able to slow IT by focusing on and being physical with him. With a PG-13 or Butler on the team, they can't do that nearly as successfully.
Agree to disagree. I hate to pull the "it's my team, I know best" crap, but I've watched about 78 Celtics games this year start to finish. I'm telling you. The holes are more than Butler or George can fill, to contend at least. And that is why I think the team will look drastically different next year, and that was always the plan. The intent was never to win with the current Celtics team and add ONE player.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree. I hate to pull the "it's my team, I know best" crap, but I've watched about 78 Celtics games this year start to finish. I'm telling you. The holes are more than Butler or George can fill, to contend at least. And that is why I think the team will look drastically different next year, and that was always the plan. The intent was never to win with the current Celtics team and add ONE player.

:suds:

Yeah, I could be reading too much into their #1 seed status, we'll see. One thing is for sure, it's going to be another interesting off season for several teams, including the Celtics.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

Yeah, I could be reading too much into their #1 seed status, we'll see. One thing is for sure, it's going to be another interesting off season for several teams, including the Celtics.
Yep. And the Celtics off season is fast approaching lol

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- when you draft in the top 3 you HOPE you get a guy like Paul George

plus like u said- PG is only 26--- he is right in line with the rest of the Celtics core--- IT, Bradley, Smart, Crowder etc.

if you draft Fultz or Ball- you are gonna have to wait AT LEAST 2-3 years before they are ready to go in ab ig time way---by that time a lot of those guys could be gone or their contracts up and they will either be gone or make WAY more money.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not too happy today. But I am just not surprised. The two holes we talked about all year are still two holes today. I still cant believe we have a roster w/o a 5 , thats the amazing thing. We play small well, but Robin Lopez probably scored half his career points in just two games. He looks like Demarcus Cousins out there. They need a Marcus Smart like player at the 5, and this game would be very different. Butler and George are not the answer just eye candy to the real problem, the inside is empty