• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

0 degrees in Minnesota on Sunday

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um ok whatever I was at the game against the Gmen and the 49er game was about exactly the same as what is predicted for this game Sunday except it was a night game where temps dropped and there was wind as well. So the 49er game was as cold or colder. I was only age 7for the ice bowl and did not make that one.

My weather app for Minneapolis says -1 at kickoff with 11mph winds making it feel like -18 below

The game in GB against San Fran:

Green Bay playoff game could be coldest in NFL history

They don’t call it the frozen tundra for nothing. Sunday’s NFC wild card game at Lambeau Field will likely go down as one of the three coldest days in NFL history, with temperatures expected to dip below freezing by kickoff and wind chills that could hit -25 or colder during the daylight hours. Once the sun sets, the temperatures will drop even more and by Monday morning, the mercury is expected to drop to 20 below.

Forecasts vary depending on the meteorologist, but-8 seems to the baseline forecastfor the end of play on Sunday. Where that ranks on the NFL’s all-time frigid list is debatable, since sources differ on the list of coldest games in NFL history. ESPN Stats & Inforanks them this way:

-13 (12/31/1967) — Dallas at Green Bay (NFC championship)

-9 (1/10/1982) — Miami at Cincinnati (AFC divisional playoff)

-1 (1/20/2008) — New York Giants at Green Bay (NFC championship)

You are going off a forecast not what it actually was that game. The start of that game it was 5 degrees with a -10 wind chill as there was little to no wind.. Didn't quite make the top 10 coldest games.

Of course right now we are only dealing with forecasts for this game too. Could turn out to be a balmy 10 degrees with zero wind for all we know.

It'll be pretty similar conditions though but not quite as cold, again, if the forecast is right.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been keeping up. Is Minnesota's new stadium going to be outdoor or a dome? They have such a great home field advantage when its outside. Other teams dread going there in the winter.
Its a crazy looking dome with a clear roof. It's supposed to be really impressive though.

upload_2016-1-6_11-50-54.jpegnew-image-page-3.jpg

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been keeping up. Is Minnesota's new stadium going to be outdoor or a dome? They have such a great home field advantage when its outside. Other teams dread going there in the winter.

Indoors. It's a $1B stadium. Not going to build something that expensive that can't be used for other events 3-4 months out of the year. And of course no roof means no SB.

IMO football and especially playoff football shouldn't be played outdoors in conditions like this if you can help it. The teams should decide the outcome....not the weather.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks neat. It'll probably be loud, and I'm sure they had in mind hosting big events inside it, but that still kinda sucks that they are passing on having their own "Frozen Tundra".

Screw the frozen tundra. Fans nowadays want comfort, good food, big huge screens, wi-fi gadgets, etc. Believe me, outside of the history at Lambeau, I'm pretty sure Packer fans would take a nice new warm stadium.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indoors. It looks pretty cool. Google image search for it sometime when you're bored.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lower the pressure in the ball just a bit, and it will be okay. Just have to make sure you use a pressure gauge with a high tolerance so that you can blame it on instrument accuracy.

Oh, I get it...
Your referring to the Colts bringing an illegal gauge onto the sidelines during last years AFCCG.
Cheating Bastards.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sneaking booze into a stadium is done everyday by the thousands.

I went to one game at TCF stadium and I got my favorite flask taken away from me. :sad2:

They were patting us down at the gate I went in at. I have heard that certain gates don't do the pat downs though.

Not going to be a problem for me this game. I will be watching the game in front of a 60" screen about 10 feet from a roaring fire.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to be a problem for me this game. I will be watching the game in front of a 60" screen about 10 feet from a roaring fire.

You gonna be burning your Bridgewater jersey? :suds:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gonna be burning your Bridgewater jersey? :suds:

Hopefully my friend is bringing his Tavaris jersey to burn when Wilson's legendary big hands catch frostbite forcing him out of the game. ; )

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indoors. It's a $1B stadium. Not going to build something that expensive that can't be used for other events 3-4 months out of the year. And of course no roof means no SB.

IMO football and especially playoff football shouldn't be played outdoors in conditions like this if you can help it. The teams should decide the outcome....not the weather.

Vikes haven't been to the SB since they went inside.

To me, football is all about playing in the elements. Hell, I think the SB should rotate to a different stadium every year regardless of location.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vikes haven't been to the SB since they went inside.

To me, football is all about playing in the elements. Hell, I think the SB should rotate to a different stadium every year regardless of location.
It's tougher to sell extremely expensive tickets when it is miserably cold outside. They also hold a lot of events the week of the big game that fewer people would want to go to.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This week, as the Packers hit the road for their playoff game against the Washington Redskins, the Vikings will have sole claim to the frozen-tundra narrative in the playoffs.

They decided to move to the north sideline at TCF Bank Stadium before they started playing there last year, after a stadium analysis showed temperatures would be noticeably warmer in the sun on that sideline, compared to the late-afternoon shadows on the south side of the stadium. After the Panthers game last year, the Vikings said they found a 20-degree temperature difference between the sidelines.

Bundle up: Vikings' p-p-playoff game is going to be c-c-cold

the vikes are taking advantage of the temps in the stadium ..makes sense

Interesting. But cold is fucking cold, and no amount of sun is going to help! I'd just want to be shielded from the wind while standing around on the sideline.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tougher to sell extremely expensive tickets when it is miserably cold outside. They also hold a lot of events the week of the big game that fewer people would want to go to.

Pussies.

I had my wife talked into season tickets if the Vikes built an outdoor stadium. No desire to see a game played indoors.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yepperz! Colder than the famed "Ice Bowl" game in Lambeau where players got concussed just by hitting the ground...

Should be fun for players on Sunday.

:scratch: your fandom leaves me puzzled...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kicking will be big but it will also effect the passing game.

The balls are going to be hard and slick. In this cold of weather no amount of heating will help that.

The one downside is that right now in MN it is 32 degrees. It's not supposed to get cold until Sat night. Which means the Vikes won't get to practice in the super, super cold so it does negate the advantage a little. Just being acclimated to the weather is a huge advantage....anyone who has experienced the radical difference between a 35 degree day in the fall and a 35 degree day in spring understands that.

People who have seen games where it is 20 degrees and the game not be all the effected simply doesn't understand just how much colder 0 is. It is going to be so cold that frostbite will start to take hold in less than 10 minutes of expose.

This is going to be a miserable experience for the players. The team that advances is going to have one hell of a time turning around and playing another playoff game the next week. I wanted to put Seattle in the SB in my playoff bracket from the NFC but couldn't do it knowing they would have to play this brutal game, fly home and then fly back out to Carolina.

oh I am sure it will be a miserable experience for the players no doubt but at least they will be able to be running around. Won't help that much but it helps none the less.

True there won't be as many long balls thrown in this game and who ever has the better running game will win this game I am thinking.

What I really want to see happen here is the league test the footballs during this game to see the extreme effect the weather has on the footballs themselves and actually report their findings, which will never happen.