• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Years that the AP/Coaches/BCS/Playoffs got it wrong

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What one are you talking about? 2003 (2002 season) Fiesta Bowl between Miami and Ohio State?

82 Nebraska v penn st
93 Nebraska v FSU

Yes I'm a homer.

But that is a good point as well

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
82 Nebraska v penn st
93 Nebraska v FSU

Yes I'm a homer.

But that is a good point as well

I actually believe refs didn't give the game to Ohio State. That call didn't end the game. They actually had another overtime.

Also, with around 3 minutes left of the 4th quarter, Ohio State was just outside of FG range, up by 3, 3rd down. Miami holds the receiver twice on the play as the receiver changed direction and no call was made.

So, Ohio State has an argument over that as well.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What one are you talking about? 2003 (2002 season) Fiesta Bowl between Miami and Ohio State?
I was assuming the year Colorado won a game where they were given an extra down, but it could be you are correct.

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am long over 2011. Yes, I thought Oklahoma State deserved it over Alabama then and for years after. Now I have gotten to the point where I don't care anymore. But since you brought it up, I will try my best.

At the time bowls were being selected,

Alabama had 2 wins vs ranked opponents. Arkansas was at #7 with a 10-2 record and Penn State was sitting at 24th with a 9-3 record. They lost to LSU who was #1 and 13-0. They did not play Georgia or South Carolina.

Oklahoma State had 4 wins vs ranked opponents. Kansas State was #11 with a 10-2 record, Baylor was #15 with a 9-3 record, TCU was #16 with a 10-2 record, and Oklahoma was #19 with a 9-3 record. As you said, ISU was a .500 team that finished 6-6 on the season.

Now Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, and Ole Miss on Alabama's schedule heading into bowl season 6-6 or worse. Texas A&M, Iowa State, Texas Tech and Kansas on Oklahoma State's schedule had 6-6 record or worse heading into bowl season.

Oklahoma State defeated, and played, more ranked opponents (at the time of bowl selection and in final rankings) and faced less teams who did not have a winning record. So, the question comes down to who do you pick? The team that has more wins vs ranked opponents or the one who has the worse loss? I would think I want the team for their winning and not their losing.

Alabama that year might have had the most talented defense I've seen other than maybe '03 Miami. I mean we had 6 or 7 players from our offense that year that were drafted and they shut us down and won 38-14. Plus I know the transitive property isn't a good measure to use but we beat that Kansas State team in the bowl game that year by 13.

I think it would have been a good game though. Shame it didn't happen.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama that year might have had the most talented defense I've seen other than maybe '03 Miami. I mean we had 6 or 7 players from our offense that year that were drafted and they shut us down and won 38-14. Plus I know the transitive property isn't a good measure to use but we beat that Kansas State team in the bowl game that year by 13.

I think it would have been a good game though. Shame it didn't happen.

From 2002-2004 was a great time to be an Iowa fan. Three 10+ win seasons in a row. That is huge for a team that is not a blue-blood. Iowa also had a lot of talent during those years as well, who went on to be great in the NFL.

But I can't think of any time Iowa got screwed out of the NC. Maybe 1920 when Howard Jones coached them and they went 2 seasons undefeated.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I can't think of any time Iowa got screwed out of the NC. Maybe 1920 when Howard Jones coached them and they went 2 seasons undefeated.
According to my records, which come from James Howell's College Football Scores , Iowa was 5-2 in 1920. But the Hawkeyes did go 7-0 in both 1921 and 1922.

I did not know that Jones coached at Iowa. I only knew that he was the coach at Southern Cal for the early years of the Notre Dame/Southern Cal rivalry. But, it would seem he had a very rich coaching history, with stops at Syracuse, Yale, Ohio State, and Duke, as well as the aforementioned Iowa and Southern Cal.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to my records, which come from James Howell's College Football Scores , Iowa was 5-2 in 1920. But the Hawkeyes did go 7-0 in both 1921 and 1922.

I did not know that Jones coached at Iowa. I only knew that he was the coach at Southern Cal for the early years of the Notre Dame/Southern Cal rivalry. But, it would seem he had a very rich coaching history, with stops at Syracuse, Yale, Ohio State, and Duke, as well as the aforementioned Iowa and Southern Cal.

Yeah, I meant to say 1920s and not 1920. But there were a bunch of teams that were awarded NC and like 3-4 that actually claimed it. A lot of undefeated teams.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1946 Champion should be Georgia, not Notre Dame.

11-0 with a Sugar Bowl win >>> 8-0-1 with no bowl game.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am long over 2011. Yes, I thought Oklahoma State deserved it over Alabama then and for years after. Now I have gotten to the point where I don't care anymore. But since you brought it up, I will try my best.

At the time bowls were being selected,

Alabama had 2 wins vs ranked opponents. Arkansas was at #7 with a 10-2 record and Penn State was sitting at 24th with a 9-3 record. They lost to LSU who was #1 and 13-0. They did not play Georgia or South Carolina.

Oklahoma State had 4 wins vs ranked opponents. Kansas State was #11 with a 10-2 record, Baylor was #15 with a 9-3 record, TCU was #16 with a 10-2 record, and Oklahoma was #19 with a 9-3 record. As you said, ISU was a .500 team that finished 6-6 on the season.

Now Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, and Ole Miss on Alabama's schedule heading into bowl season 6-6 or worse. Texas A&M, Iowa State, Texas Tech and Kansas on Oklahoma State's schedule had 6-6 record or worse heading into bowl season.

Oklahoma State defeated, and played, more ranked opponents (at the time of bowl selection and in final rankings) and faced less teams who did not have a winning record. So, the question comes down to who do you pick? The team that has more wins vs ranked opponents or the one who has the worse loss? I would think I want the team for their winning and not their losing.

For staters, while TCU was indeed 10-2 and ranked #16 in 2011, they were the MWC champs...SO, I'm not sure how that counts as a win for Okie Lite. Sort of makes the rest of your argument suspect when you start by inventing shit.

It's not like Iowa St. was the only .500 team they struggled with either...Anybody remember the 39 yard safety they took at the end of the game to beat aTm...that was really impressive for the voters too.

Fortunately we don't have to go with "at the time the bowls were selected". because we are looking back to a time when the bowls were played.

In the bowl game, Alabama destroyed a team that many were labeling with ridiculous superlative hyperboles and Oklahoma St, once again, struggled to beat a ranked opponent.

We also know that Arkansas beat Kansas St like a rented mule.

I didn't think LSU was the better team the first time, and they clearly weren't the second, but one team they were far ahead of was Oklahoma St.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For staters, while TCU was indeed 10-2 and ranked #16 in 2011
TCU got screwed in the 2010 season IMHO. No way they were going to be voted in since they were not a member of a P5....which they proceeded to beat in the Rose Bowl. That was a worse matchup for them than either Aubie or Oregon would have been.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For staters, while TCU was indeed 10-2 and ranked #16 in 2011, they were the MWC champs...SO, I'm not sure how that counts as a win for Okie Lite. Sort of makes the rest of your argument suspect when you start by inventing shit.

It's not like Iowa St. was the only .500 team they struggled with either...Anybody remember the 39 yard safety they took at the end of the game to beat aTm...that was really impressive for the voters too.

Fortunately we don't have to go with "at the time the bowls were selected". because we are looking back to a time when the bowls were played.

In the bowl game, Alabama destroyed a team that many were labeling with ridiculous superlative hyperboles and Oklahoma St, once again, struggled to beat a ranked opponent.

We also know that Arkansas beat Kansas St like a rented mule.

I didn't think LSU was the better team the first time, and they clearly weren't the second, but one team they were far ahead of was Oklahoma St.

Both teams had a fair argument. I think a playoff would have been perfect for that year. It was a year where a team was going to be left out. I thought Okie State deserved it more, but Alabama did win the NCG and they now deserve to be called 2011 National Champions.

2004 Auburn has a better case as the team they got the spot over them got destroyed. However, I don't think any college football team would have came close that day to USC. Auburn didn't really blow out Virginia Tech either.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just did.
The best team didn't win the NC.

2011 - Oklahoma State/opportunity stolen/would have crushed anyone.
2004 - Auburn - obvious here.
1973 - Oklahoma, obviously better than ND or Ohio State
1949 - Oklahoma/ND stole one again.

Who else.

2011 - LSU. LSU shouldn't have had to play Alabama twice. LSU would have stomped Okie State.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams had a fair argument. I think a playoff would have been perfect for that year. It was a year where a team was going to be left out. I thought Okie State deserved it more, but Alabama did win the NCG and they now deserve to be called 2011 National Champions.

2004 Auburn has a better case as the team they got the spot over them got destroyed. However, I don't think any college football team would have came close that day to USC. Auburn didn't really blow out Virginia Tech either.

No argument here, lol...Fuck Auburn.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1936...Minnesota shouldn't have been #1.

Slippery Rock beat Westminister 14-0...who beat WV Wesleyan 7-6...who beat Duquesne
2-0...who beat Pitt 7-0...who beat Notre Dame 26-0...who beat Northwestern 26-6...
who beat Minnesota 6-0.

Slippery Rock should have been #1.

Surprised Alabama did not claim it then. :dhd:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama won the coaches in 1973 before losing to ND in the Sugar Bowl. Coaches arguably got it wrong, but that is hindsight, because they named the winner before the bowl game.

It happened more than once.

Funny enough you can thank Alabama for the change in both the AP and Coaches. And also funny enough - Alabama was the first team to benefit from the AP change - and Michigan St got "fucked".

In the 1964 season, Alabama was #1 at the end of the season, but lost the bowl game to Texas. So the next year the AP decided to wait until afte the bowl game. That year, #1(Michigan St) and #2 lost their bowl games. #3 Nebraska lost to #4 Alabama, and Alabama ends up winning it.

And of course, in 1966..well you know.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you said, ISU was a .500 team that finished 6-6 on the season.

Iowa St was a .500 team BECAUSE they beat Oklahoma St. They lost to a team that would have otherwise not even made a bowl.

They were not among the 2 best teams in the country.

If they had gone undefeated, I could see the argument. But they lost, and they lost when they knew they had a chance at a National Championship, and they lost to a team that should have finished the year 5-7.

Alabama or LSU would have pulled their underwear up over their heads.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa St was a .500 team BECAUSE they beat Oklahoma St. They lost to a team that would have otherwise not even made a bowl.

They were not among the 2 best teams in the country.

If they had gone undefeated, I could see the argument. But they lost, and they lost when they knew they had a chance at a National Championship, and they lost to a team that should have finished the year 5-7.

Alabama or LSU would have pulled their underwear up over their heads.

That field goal was good.
And they would have fucked up LSU