• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

wonder What A Slave Might Think About This Asinine Statement

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, but does being black make it worse, or better?
How do we decide to choose and factor in, though?
  • What about being born in the late 20th century and living in the early 21st century? To a great extent, the poor and marginalized have it better today than most every other point in history.
  • What about being born in America? To a great extent, the poor and marginalized in this country have it far better than other parts of the world.
Arguably: even a poor, black person in this country has it better than 99.999% of people in human history. Generally speaking, of course.

Just depends on what we choose to focus on, I guess... :think:.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL....Lebron is not the first black pro to make a statement similar to this. It's laughable.
Agreed. Many blacks are just as racist as James is but he's famous enough to get away with it.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • What about being born in the late 20th century and living in the early 21st century? To a great extent, the poor and marginalized have it better today than most every other point in history.
  • What about being born in America? To a great extent, the poor and marginalized in this country have it far better than other parts of the world.
Arguably: even a poor, black person in this country has it better than 99.999% of people in human history. Generally speaking, of course.

Yep. All true. And still, better to be white than black.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. All true. And still, better to be white than black.
And it's better to have a billion and one dollars as opposed to "just" a billion.

The question is... should the focus be on the one dollar that a person is missing or the billion they have in the bank?

(I'd argue being born in America in this era of history is kinda like hitting the lottery)

Generally speaking, of course. If a kid is getting sexually abused or whatever... then life may very well be a horror regardless of any other factor.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's better to have a billion and one dollars as opposed to "just" a billion.

The question is... should the focus be on the one dollar that a person is missing or the billion they have in the bank?

(I'd argue being born in America in this era of history is kinda like hitting the lottery)

Generally speaking, of course. If a kid is getting sexually abused or whatever... then life may very well be a horror regardless of any other factor.
I'm not saying a.person should walk around feeling totally depressed just because they are black, but I have no time for people who think blacks should just get over it because they are so lucky. That there's no racism or extra.difficulty being black. That they should shut up about it.

It's better to be white. And not $1 more than $1 billion better, it's a real thing. IMO white people should allow for that. Over time it should get better for everyone if people can use common sense and empathy.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying a.person should walk around feeling totally depressed just because they are black, but I have no time for people who think blacks should just get over it because they are so lucky. That there's no racism or extra.difficulty being black. That they should shut up about it.

It's better to be white. And not $1 more than $1 billion better, it's a real thing. IMO white people should allow for that. Over time it should get better for everyone if people can use common sense and empathy.
For the record... I am not saying nor would I say that "blacks should just get over it" or "there's no racism" or anything like that.

That being said: I disagree with you overall to a rather large extent. Not because racism isn't real... but because the other side of the equation (being born in this time and place) is such an overwhelmingly big deal. Clean water, cheap hot food, comfortable lodging, education, entertainment, on and on and on... we've hit the jackpot, historically speaking.

But that's the human condition, I guess. We tend to take for granted and/or undervalue what we have... to focus on what we don't... and to not be satisfied no matter what.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record... I am not saying nor would I say that "blacks should just get over it" or "there's no racism" or anything like that.

That being said: I disagree with you overall to a rather large extent. Not because racism isn't real... but because the other side of the equation (being born in this time and place) is such an overwhelmingly big deal. Clean water, cheap hot food, comfortable lodging, education, entertainment, on and on and on... we've hit the jackpot, historically speaking.

But that's the human condition, I guess. We tend to take for granted and/or undervalue what we have... to focus on what we don't... and to not be satisfied no matter what.
Those are fair points, it's better for anyone to count their blessings not focus on their problems. But I don't think we can ever understand what it's like to be treated as less than another just because of how you look in the mirror. Even if most things are good, that's not cool.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over time it should get better for everyone if people can use common sense and empathy.

Everyone needs to take full advantage of the opportunities afforded them in this country and it’s not happening fast enough.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only color that matters now is green. And lebron is green as hell. Before you step in and decide to defend lebron, ask him why he is living off a contract he signed to make millions off of true slaves working in Nike sweat shops in South America. He is a joke and does not care. He is using this to further advertise his brand name.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I grew up in a single parent household where my mom had to work her way up and hard to get a good quality of life. I have to give it up to my mom, she busted her ass. But there were times that we had the electricity shut off and we had to go on mac & cheese dinners at my early age. I also remember the best day of my life was at 4 years old moving from Liberty City to Naranja because we got out of arguably the worst area of Dade and Broward county. I'm white btw, so when someone tells me that people have it rough solely based on race, I proceed to give them the eye roll.

And in no way is that meant for a pity part for me. Everyone has their obstacles in life.

But back to the main subject, Lebron preaches about unity and equality; yet he makes more than 99.999999% of this country, his family is set up for financial success for generations (due to his success on the basketball court), and has not had to go through what most black people go through in this country in terms of being marginalized.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot of good that Lebron could do in the black community and I mean a lot. Him saying encouraging words about fathers being in their families lives and such might be heard. Instead he chooses to widen the divide.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in a single parent household where my mom had to work her way up and hard to get a good quality of life. I have to give it up to my mom, she busted her ass. But there were times that we had the electricity shut off and we had to go on mac & cheese dinners at my early age. I also remember the best day of my life was at 4 years old moving from Liberty City to Naranja because we got out of arguably the worst area of Dade and Broward county. I'm white btw, so when someone tells me that people have it rough solely based on race, I proceed to give them the eye roll.

And in no way is that meant for a pity part for me. Everyone has their obstacles in life.

But back to the main subject, Lebron preaches about unity and equality; yet he makes more than 99.999999% of this country, his family is set up for financial success for generations (due to his success on the basketball court), and has not had to go through what most black people go through in this country in terms of being marginalized.
He has also never donated one penny more than what taxes would have made him pay due to his income. It’s all a tax write off for him for the shit he does decide to “donate”. He is a fraud and a joke. Don’t champion selfish idiots because you like the way they play a child’s game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has also never donated one penny more than what taxes would have made him pay due to his income. It’s all a tax write off for him for the shit he does decide to “donate”. He is a fraud and a joke. Don’t champion selfish idiots because you like the way they play a child’s game.

lol

Seriously? Let me see if I get this right...

Because he can write the money that he donates off on his taxes, it means that the money didn't really do anybody any good or change any lives?

I mean, there are plenty of things to criticize him for, this isn't one of them.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot of good that Lebron could do in the black community and I mean a lot. Him saying encouraging words about fathers being in their families lives and such might be heard. Instead he chooses to widen the divide.
He does a shit ton. He just opened a freaking school

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does a shit ton. He just opened a freaking school

Great glad to hear it, now quit saying stupid shit to make good kids waste time placing blame and building in excuses for themselves.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great glad to hear it, now quit saying stupid shit to make good kids waste time placing blame and building in excuses for themselves.
Grow up