• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

wonder What A Slave Might Think About This Asinine Statement

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get his point.

NBA players have far more power than NFL players. But that is because the NFL has arguably the weakest players union of all of the professional sports. That's on them, not the owners.

Unfortunately, because of his poor, played out analogy, folks are likely to be more focused on that than NFL players having a lousy deal.

"Thousandaires" who are paying hundreds of dollars to watch millionaires play a game, tend not to take slavery comparisons very seriously.

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL's parity is what makes it a compelling product. The NFL goes the route of the NBA and I'll free to not watch it just like the NBA.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get his point.

NBA players have far more power than NFL players. But that is because the NFL has arguably the weakest players union of all of the professional sports. That's on them, not the owners.

Unfortunately, because of his poor, played out analogy, folks are likely to be more focused on that than NFL players having a lousy deal.

"Thousandaires" who are paying hundreds of dollars to watch millionaires play a game, tend not to take slavery comparisons very seriously.

This is the direct quote:

'This is my team. You do what the f--- I tell y'all to do or we get rid of y'all.'

That's not slavery. That's just how employment works.

Celebrities always live inside a bubble and have no idea how the world outside of it actually works.

This is just an example of that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL's parity is what makes it a compelling product. The NFL goes the route of the NBA and I'll free to not watch it just like the NBA.

2 things:

1.) Nothing like posting in a forum about something that you don't watch.

2.) What does the NFL's parity have to do with Lebron saying that NFL owners have a slave mentality?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

'This is my team. You do what the f--- I tell y'all to do or we get rid of y'all.'

Celebrities always live inside a bubble and have no idea how the world outside of it actually works.

Agree.

At my job, I have a fair amount of autonomy...but end of the day, it's do things the way the company wants them done or find another job.

Like I said, I understand Lebron's point. NFL players do get a bit of a raw deal. But that's on the players union for not negotiating better.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get his point.

There are 4 times as many players in the NFL as there are in the NBA. Furthermore the nature of the sport makes most players easily replaceable, particularly when compared to the NBA. NFL players collectively take home about twice as much as NBA players. So the aggregate value is double but the per player is nearly half because there are so many players in the NFL.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More like 5 times as many players with the practice squads and all. Lebron said what he said because in the NFL the players don’t completely run the league. I guess in his mind if you aren’t in charge you are a slave.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if thats "slave employment" 75% of employment in America is slave employment

what a dumb fucking comment from LeBron.

if he had a real boss and had to take his shit or not have rent for that month he would shit his pants.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 4 times as many players in the NFL as there are in the NBA. Furthermore the nature of the sport makes most players easily replaceable, particularly when compared to the NBA. NBA players collectively take home about twice as much as NFL players. So the aggregate value is double but the per player is nearly half because there are so many players in the NFL.

I think you meant that.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if thats "slave employment" 75% of employment in America is slave employment

what a dumb fucking comment from LeBron.

if he had a real boss and had to take his shit or not have rent for that month he would shit his pants.

I'm dumbfounded at how Lebron manages to make himself look like a dope.

The NFL and NBA can't operate under the same business model. The NBA's built on star-power and that's it, that's why Silver gets cucked daily by his players. If he tried to institute a gag order on the players in his league, Lebron would proceed to throw his weight around.

The NFL can't take the same approach. It's a team-based league where coaching matters more than anything else (it helps to have a QB and horses, but coaching brings it together). The NFL also has continuous battles with law suits from former players, etc... This is why the NFL player's association will get the kind of deals that NBA players can get. Probably every week in the NFL, some player's career is likely over. The average NFL career isn't even 2 years.

Having said that, Lebron's the ultimate hypocrite. He screams racism, yet refers to NFL owners as white guys that love running plantation-style business models. I guess he'll chose to ignore the country his Nike's are made from and refuse to think that they'd be made in a sweat shop with minimal pay.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFL and NBA can't operate under the same business model. The NBA's built on star-power and that's it, that's why Silver gets cucked daily by his players. If he tried to institute a gag order on the players in his league, Lebron would proceed to throw his weight around.

The NFL can't take the same approach. It's a team-based league where coaching matters more than anything else (it helps to have a QB and horses, but coaching brings it together). The NFL also has continuous battles with law suits from former players, etc... This is why the NFL player's association will get the kind of deals that NBA players can get. Probably every week in the NFL, some player's career is likely over. The average NFL career isn't even 2 years.

Having said that, Lebron's the ultimate hypocrite. He screams racism, yet refers to NFL owners as white guys that love running plantation-style business models. I guess he'll chose to ignore the country his Nike's are made from and refuse to think that they'd be made in a sweat shop with minimal pay.

Yeah, this is why, while I understand that players have the right to speak their minds and that sometimes good can from it, I really don't pay much attention to what they have to say about "real life stuff".

If guys like Lebron had ever experienced having a real job, they likely wouldn't say some of the things they do, because they would understand that it's not a "slave owner" mentality, it's a "running a business" mentality.

I'd also add that, Lebron said this on his "The Shop" show or podcast, or whatever it is...so I'm sure that to a certain extent, he used the terminology that he did to get folks talking about his show and watching/listening...it worked too. lol

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get his point.

If the NFL operates like the NBA, they would have went bankrupt from too many guaranteed contracts on injured players. They aren't strong enough to survive that. That's the one part I have always thought the NBA is doing wrong . I can see a guaranteed contract to a point, but not 30 million for a disabled player. That's insane and I do think that's the main difference between the two. I dont like the comparison to slaves though because I think it diminishes that crime against humanity and the violation of human rights for over a century

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I felt that the comparison was disrespectful to the men, women and children who suffered from those violations of human rights and showed that LeBron demonstrated that he neither understood the differences between the NBA vs the NFL and failed to understand just how criminal slavery was

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you compare young men getting paid a minimum of hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a sport to slavery it's asinine and you're showing you're an idiot who shouldn't be listened to. It belittles what slaves went, and in some areas of the world still go through.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time not thinking he was saying being a white guy is a bad thing. If what he said was not racist I don’t know what is.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you compare young men getting paid a minimum of hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a sport to slavery it's asinine and you're showing you're an idiot who shouldn't be listened to. It belittles what slaves went, and in some areas of the world still go through.

Yes, and as someone smartly mentioned that the word could be used for a lot of people making the shoes on Lebrons feet that for some reason they make so much mobey on. Hypocritical in every sense of the word.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time not thinking he was saying being a white guy is a bad thing. If what he said was not racist I don’t know what is.

It's fashionable to bash white people, specifically, older white men.