• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Lebron ever surpass Bird at the SF GOAT?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. And your reasoning tells me you've never seen Bird play. I'm sure Larry Bird has never hit 7-8 shots in a row (which is about how many it would take in a 1 on 1 game) in an NBA game while being pressured and on every shot. Wow, talk about greater familiarity with video game basketball than actual basketball. :L

It's also funny that you are taking a joking back and forth about a game that will never happen so seriously.

I watched plenty of Bird. He was a tremendous player.

And while it is possible that he could hit 7 or 8 straight shots while being heavily pressured it is highly unlikely.

You have shifted your argument from "Bird would beat Lebron" to "If Bird was really hot he could beat Lebron". Sure. I'm fine with that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny comment. No NBAer in the history of the league was 100% under pressure.

He's trying to apply real life NBA games to a 1 on 1 game that will never happen.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny comment. No NBAer in the history of the league was 100% under pressure.

Yeah. I'm fully aware of that. Perhaps you should read the entire discussion and see what I was responding to instead of coming here to defend Bird when he didn't need to be defended.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's trying to apply real life NBA games to a 1 on 1 game that will never happen.

It is interesting to think about what 1 on 1 match ups would be like if there was a way to have all players in their primes.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First you say this.

I watched plenty of Bird. He was a tremendous player.

Then this:

And while it is possible that he could hit 7 or 8 straight shots while being heavily pressured it is highly unlikely.

Yet, you claim you saw him play plenty.

You have shifted your argument from "Bird would beat Lebron" to "If Bird was really hot he could beat Lebron". Sure. I'm fine with that.

I really don't care what you're fine with. It stand by what I said.

It was a mostly joking exchange about a hypothetical game between me and another poster that you decided to take seriously and act like it might really happen.

Good luck to you in your attempts to "win the internet."

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I'm fully aware of that. Perhaps you should read the entire discussion and see what I was responding to instead of coming here to defend Bird when he didn't need to be defended.

Perhaps you should have read the entire discussion before acting like this was some serious debate.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're right. It would never happen. Real life games involve 10 players on the court and defenders have mutliple responsibilities.

One on one involves two players and the defender has one responsibility.

LJ would be glued Bird because Bird would NEVER be able to beat James off the dribble and would never be able to bully James around physically. That means he would need to beat James with outside shooting. If you concede that Bird couldn't stop James from scoring, then that means he would need to be lights out under heavy pressure.

Could that happen? Of course. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have I even said yet who I think would win a 1 on 1 between Bird & LeBron? No I didn't. So I'm not defending Bird. Very odd thing to say. Maybe you shouldn't get upset when others don't agree w/ you. Now to actually answer the question about Bird & LeBron even though Larry the Legend is still my all time favorite NBAer I'd give the edge to LeBron. But no way in hell would LeBron shut Bird down. So you still think I'm defending Bird?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is interesting to think about what 1 on 1 match ups would be like if there was a way to have all players in their primes.

It would be a blast if they could really happen. I kind of wish the NBA would try another 1 on 1 tournament as part of all star weekend. Although, I doubt it would be all that successful. I think the players that fans would actually want to see in 1 on 1 games wouldn't want to participate for the same reason they don't participate in the slam dunk contest.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a blast if they could really happen. I kind of wish the NBA would try another 1 on 1 tournament as part of all star weekend. Although, I doubt it would be all that successful. I think the players that fans would actually want to see in 1 on 1 games wouldn't want to participate for the same reason they don't participate in the slam dunk contest.

What rules though 80's or today?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have I even said yet who I think would win a 1 on 1 between Bird & LeBron? No I didn't. So I'm not defending Bird. Very odd thing to say. Maybe you shouldn't get upset when others don't agree w/ you. Now to actually answer the question about Bird & LeBron even though Larry the Legend is still my all time favorite NBAer I'd give the edge to LeBron. But no way in hell would LeBron shut Bird down. So you still think I'm defending Bird?

I agree with this, which is why my circumstances for picking Bird were very specific:

It's make it, take it and Bird has the ball first. Under any other set of rules, I'm taking Lebron.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What rules though 80's or today?

80's. Only matching up players that play the same or similar positions or of similar size. Not interested in seeing some 6'10" backing down a 6'1" guy into the paint over and over.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First you say this.

Then this:

Yet, you claim you saw him play plenty.

Saying that he could shoot 100% from the field but he probably won't means that I've never watched Bird play?

I really don't care what you're fine with. It stand by what I said.

Knock yourself out. You think that Lebron James couldn't disrupt Bird's shooting. I consider that absurd. To each their own.

It was a mostly joking exchange about a hypothetical game between me and another poster that you decided to take seriously and act like it might really happen.

Good luck to you in your attempts to "win the internet."

I understand the purpose of this thread. Obviously it will never happen. I never suggested it would.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you come in and say "So you're saying that Bird couldn't shoot under pressure" which I never said, it sure looks like you are coming into to defend Bird.

I never said he would shut down Bird. Bird would score. Bird's biggest problem would be his inability to stop James, not his ability to score.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80's. Only matching up players that play the same or similar positions or of similar size. Not interested in seeing some 6'10" backing down a 6'1" guy into the paint over and over.

The NBA was a helluva lot more physical back then. And w/ how great of a shit talker Bird was he might have been able to frustrate the hell outta him.