• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where will this QB class fall in great QB classes?

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys move up to #4 and draft McCarthy (or #5), the franchise is retarded. I'm just saying it now. Enjoy your quarterback.

Smart fans that were unhappy with perpetual mediocrity (that Cousins brought) want to take a chance like that. I don't think they outbid Denver for Darnold if they had a set plan to draft a QB and start him immediately.

If You are right and JJ becomes the next Christian Ponder, that will spell the end of this GM/HC regime and we start over. I still prefer that to constantly being good, but never good enough to go far in the playoffs.

The only thing the Vikings can't do is trade next year's 1st, because then you are potentially looking like the Panthers.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point, and agreed. If Seattle has Turner or Latu sitting at 16, pull the fuckin' trigger!

Almost a certainty that 4-5 QBs and 3 WRs are going top 15... for anyone that doesn't need those, hell yah! Some good OL talent is gonna slide too.

It's gonna be a run on those OL too. I think ( I hope ) the Bengals realize they're not good at drafting OL and for now on they're much better off spending money on that area.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Washington fan I was all over Drake Maye. I prefer a pocket passer because the team that wins the Super Bowl nearly always has a really good QB from the pocket. I watched his games and tried to convince myself but I have concluded that he does most everything well but nothing special. He gets caught in the pocket where the more athletic QBsescape that pressure and make plays. He has a slow delivery as well and his rushing yards came mostly in the open field, when he tries to turn the corner he does not have the speed to do it.

Then I watched Jayden Daniels and you can instantly see special, the ball comes out far more quickly. We have no idea if either will pan out but if you are going to take a swing take a big swing on someone who could be great. I don't believe Drake Maye will be great.
Daniels was my hope for Detroit last year. Then he went back for another year and got even better.

Big fan of his game.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. So, could you answer my question?

What? I already did. UW did not have a good defense and there's nothing wrong with me saying Williams had very little competition in his 'career' at USC...

Your question was pretty bullshit to begin with... "U said good teams, did you not?" I said UW was a good team, but I hardly called them a good defense. Is that your question? You were about as vague as possible.. care to try again?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy is awesome throwing over the middle of the field and the Vikings live there. That would be the perfect team for him....I hope he goes somewhere else.

I don't know that I agree. Sure, he completed some tight window passes on his tape, but some of those were bad decisions with easier targets he missed in his progression. They were "oh no, not there....oh great throw, it narrowly missed getting picked" opportunities that were unnecessary risks. He's really the hardest read among these QBs and could just as easily end up the #8 QB in this class when all is said and done compared to his odds of finishing in the top 3 or 4 IMO. Everything about him that is being touted is based on projection and not actual tape IMO.

I think the Mayfield comp is relatively apt. Overdrafted as a rookie but had some solid production, ultimately doesn't get his second big contract until his 4th team after a prove-it year. However, Mayfield had college tape to get that draft position.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? I already did. UW did not have a good defense and there's nothing wrong with me saying Williams had very little competition in his 'career' at USC...

Your question was pretty bullshit to begin with... "U said good teams, did you not?" I said UW was a good team, but I hardly called them a good defense. Is that your question? You were about as vague as possible.. care to try again?
Lol. Ok. So you made a statement. I literally just went with what YOU said. And my end of it is BS. Makes sense. Pivot much?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Ok. So you made a statement. I literally just went with what YOU said. And my end of it is BS. Makes sense. Pivot much?

Eh ignore my rambling Steelers... bit too much to drink yesterday. I think I was trying to say Caleb didn't win many games against ranked teams... regardless of how good their defense/offense was... UWs defense was not good, and Caleb did well, he just didn't do well enough to win lol, but that's whatever... it is is a team game after all.

:suds:

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC

2023 was seen as slightly above average
2022 was seen as awful
2021 was hyped similar to this year
2020 was hyped similar to this year
2019 was seen as average
2018 was seen as slightly above average
2017 was seen as slightly below average
2016 was seen as slightly below average
2015 was seen as average

So in terms of hype its top 3 out of the past 10.

Ranking of past 23 QB drafts... 2020 has lived up to the hype it would appear... had 2017 and 2018 in top 5 from this list as well (no others in top10)
  • 2020: Starters - Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts (order drafted) - 2 Super Bowl appearances already (no wins)
  • 2017: Starters - Mahomes, Watson - this is all about Mahomes... 4 Super Bowls with 3 wins
  • 2018: Starters - Mayfield, Darnold (?), Allen, Jackson - no Super Bowl appearances
2022 was #17 on list of 23 drafts... Purdy saves it from being even lower

NFL draft: Ranking every quarterback class since 2000

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranking of past 23 QB drafts... 2020 has lived up to the hype it would appear... had 2017 and 2018 in top 5 from this list as well (no others in top10)
  • 2020: Starters - Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Hurts (order drafted) - 2 Super Bowl appearances already (no wins)
  • 2017: Starters - Mahomes, Watson - this is all about Mahomes... 4 Super Bowls with 3 wins
  • 2018: Starters - Mayfield, Darnold (?), Allen, Jackson - no Super Bowl appearances

The thing about 2017 was that there was no 'pro ready' QB in that class but a bunch of projects so one of them doing really well (Mahomes) probably isnt too unexpected but the class as a whole was seen as super risky.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I view this class a lot like the 2020 class.

Burrow/JJ/Tua/Hurts/Penix - National title game QB's

Williams/Burrow/Daniels - Heisman winners

I think the potential is there for this to be a class filled with starting NFL QB's who get to a big second contract.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going the opposite.

Williams sucked against any team that was good and is a little whiny bitch. Ryan Leaf 2.0.
Daniels is Justin Fields 2.0. Guy is still running a Core 2 Duo processor.
Maye I think can actually succeed.
McCarthy sadly is going to be thrown into being a starter when he 100% needs to sit for I'd argue almost 2 years, but you don't draft a QB in the top 5 to sit.
Nix is a clone of Manziel...
Penix could be decent, probably in all honesty the best shot because he'll be drafted last and into the 2nd/3rd round and likely sit.

I'm happy to eat crow if I'm wrong (as I always do on this forum).

Google is free. Do your research

Williams vs Top 25 Total Defenses in the Power 5:
2021: Oklahoma State
2022: Utah(x2) Oregon State Notre Dame
2023: Notre Dame Utah UCLA Oregon

Total Stats:
• 2,556 passing yards
• 482 rushing yards
• 22 total TDs
• 5 INTs

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that Caleb Williams' stat line against one of the worst defenses in NCAAF and certainly the Pac-12? Sure seems like it... whatever.

So, what great teams has he played and lost to? Notre Dame once?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing the Vikings can't do is trade next year's 1st, because then you are potentially looking like the Panthers.

They might not have the ammo to get to 4 or 5 then, as there could very well be better offers. Trade-ups for QBs typically take far more capital than the value chart would suggest, especially if they want to be locked-in to that spot prior to the draft.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They might not have the ammo to get to 4 or 5 then, as there could very well be better offers. Trade-ups for QBs typically take far more capital than the value chart would suggest, especially if they want to be locked-in to that spot prior to the draft.

I don't think 4 is happening regardless. Arizona loves Harrison. If Harbaugh thinks that highly of McCarthy, he's not going to let Payton get his hands on him.

So who's left? I don't think the Giants blow them away to get up one spot. The Titans I think have to give another shot to Levis, The Falcons just signed Kirk and the Bears and Jets have their QBs.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh ignore my rambling Steelers... bit too much to drink yesterday. I think I was trying to say Caleb didn't win many games against ranked teams... regardless of how good their defense/offense was... UWs defense was not good, and Caleb did well, he just didn't do well enough to win lol, but that's whatever... it is is a team game after all.

:suds:
Lol all good bud. However, the prior year…he did.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think 4 is happening regardless. Arizona loves Harrison. If Harbaugh thinks that highly of McCarthy, he's not going to let Payton get his hands on him.

So who's left? I don't think the Giants blow them away to get up one spot. The Titans I think have to give another shot to Levis, The Falcons just signed Kirk and the Bears and Jets have their QBs.
I'm not sure Zona loves Harrison as they have already stated they are open to the idea of trading out of that pick The Chargers, on the other hand, I believe are all in on a WR right now. Harbaugh can talk up Mccarthy all he wants. It's a smokescreen, imo. He likely knows McCarthy isn't ready to carry one of these bottom teams and needs developing. Harbaugh knows he needs to replace his weapons for Herbert.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on where players land but realistically we're probably looking at 1-3 starters walking into 2028 (year 4).
Just spit balling numbers, hitting on a QB (Starting caliber) in the top 10 is about 50%, QBs drafted between 10-32 is maybe 25% after that the rates drops from there.

To me I have:
#1: Caleb Williams (75%)
Top 10: Daniels and Maye (50%)
1st Round: Penix and JJ (25%)
Others: Bo Nix and Rattier has a chance as well

If you're a team looking for a QB, then this is the year to take your shot