• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Will Denver regret giving RW the 245 million extension?

Will Denver regret giving RW the extension?

• Yes

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • HELL NO

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Mile High tater salad

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady and Manning are different types of QBs. If Russell doesn't run, it diminishes his value. If he continues to run, the odds of him staying healthy go significantly down.

I'm not saying one way or the other, because if he gets you back to a Super Bowl, it will have been worth it no question. I'm just saying the end of that deal could look ugly.

I'm not too worried about the last couple of years of his deal. The guarantees run out so Broncos have plenty of outs on the deal if say Wilson does show significant decline. They are not stuck with paying over $100 million for a player dragging down the roster. The reality of this contract is it is a 3-4 year deal where then both sides will want to come back together and figure out the future of the deal.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not too worried about the last couple of years of his deal. The guarantees run out so Broncos have plenty of outs on the deal if say Wilson does show significant decline. They are not stuck with paying over $100 million for a player dragging down the roster. The reality of this contract is it is a 3-4 year deal where then both sides will want to come back together and figure out the future of the deal.
Looking at the amount of dead money to cut him I would think he plays 5 years for the Broncos before any parting of the way, but yes it is possible to do it earlier.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the amount of dead money to cut him I would think he plays 5 years for the Broncos before any parting of the way, but yes it is possible to do it earlier.

I didn't say they would cut him. More so after year 3 or year 4 they will come back to him and say "hey let's work on this contract to get you more guaranteed money and us some room to work with cap wise." This is how most contracts in the NFL are drawn up anyway. They like to have wiggle room. Same with Mahomes and his contract there was no way he was going to not redo that deal at some point. Both sides would want to come back and figure something out.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what was peyton getting when he won a ring?

He had a cap hit of $17.5 million the year the Broncos won a Super Bowl. The better number to look at would be the cap space he is taking up percentage wise. So Super Bowl year 11.7% of the cap was going to Manning.

Year 1 of Wilson's deal he is getting about 7.7% and year two depending on how the cap goes up around 9.8%

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say they would cut him. More so after year 3 or year 4 they will come back to him and say "hey let's work on this contract to get you more guaranteed money and us some room to work with cap wise." This is how most contracts in the NFL are drawn up anyway. They like to have wiggle room. Same with Mahomes and his contract there was no way he was going to not redo that deal at some point. Both sides would want to come back and figure something out.
This is my thinking too. Some of the fully guaranteed contracts cropping up are foolish, IMO.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cap space is reflective of the whole team but dollar wise its individual. Wilson isnt going to the bank reflecting on cap percentage

MILE HIGH MONEY

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cap space is reflective of the whole team but dollar wise its individual. Wilson isnt going to the bank reflecting on cap percentage
I guess I'm not getting what you are saying here. You asked how much Manning was making with the Broncos but comparing what QB's were making 7 years ago to today does very little. That is why I went with percentage of cap taken up to show that Wilson right now and for next year will be making less than what Manning was taking up when the Broncos won the Super Bowl.

I do agree that for Wilson he is looking at the money he is bringing in. The actual contract when you are looking at it from a team stance is very team friendly. For Wilson he is making more than enough to take care of his family, but honestly could have demanded more. Him taking only the 3rd highest guaranteed money is a huge sign of that.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay my bad on the wording....What was the dollar amount Peyton was making his superbowl year and what was Wilsons dollar amount upon signing

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a diehard Seahawks fan I'm undoubtedly biased here, but this deal is bonkers to me.

The biggest red flag I see is with the timing of this deal. Doesn't Denver have Russ under club control for two more years? Why in the world would they give him such a massive extension late into his career without him playing even a single game-time snap, preseason or otherwise?!? They had plenty of time to kick the tires before needing to make such a momentous financial decision that will impact the franchise for a long time.

It makes me speculate as to the discussions the sides had this offseason. While this is pure speculation, I wonder if Russ asked for a massive deal and the Broncos came back with an option to take this deal now or allow them time to analyze his on-the-field product this year before agreeing to accept his high-ball demands. Russ then would have taken this deal to lock in a long-term deal without having to worry about his play this season. Again, this is obviously speculation, but it just seems that it would be reckless for the front office to make a massive deal before he even steps on the field with no pressure to do so.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only thing i can think of is the QB market....the only top rated QB at the time was Wilson, so Denver acted quickly with financial impact before any other team pursued him. And Wilson knew it.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a diehard Seahawks fan I'm undoubtedly biased here, but this deal is bonkers to me.

The biggest red flag I see is with the timing of this deal. Doesn't Denver have Russ under club control for two more years? Why in the world would they give him such a massive extension late into his career without him playing even a single game-time snap, preseason or otherwise?!? They had plenty of time to kick the tires before needing to make such a momentous financial decision that will impact the franchise for a long time.

It makes me speculate as to the discussions the sides had this offseason. While this is pure speculation, I wonder if Russ asked for a massive deal and the Broncos came back with an option to take this deal now or allow them time to analyze his on-the-field product this year before agreeing to accept his high-ball demands. Russ then would have taken this deal to lock in a long-term deal without having to worry about his play this season. Again, this is obviously speculation, but it just seems that it would be reckless for the front office to make a massive deal before he even steps on the field with no pressure to do so.
1. When a team gives up 5 draft picks and three players for a franchise QB, they want him long term. Period. There was no doubt a deal was going to get done.
2. Why wait? Can you say Jackson, Burrows and Herbert? Do you think the average pay is going to be less in a year or two? Of course there is a risk that Russ may not be what they hoped - but that decision was already made when they made the trade.
3. As cdumler has already pointed out, this is not necessarily a 7 year deal, rather there are outs after years 4 and 5.

As a Broncos fan, I would see it as reckless not to sign him to an extension now. And they did what needed to be done. I haven’t heard from a single Bronco fan who isn’t thrilled with this deal. It’s truly a team friendly deal if Russ is a franchise QB. There is such a sense of relief not arguing who should start - Drew or Teddy.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. When a team gives up 5 draft picks and three players for a franchise QB, they want him long term. Period. There was no doubt a deal was going to get done.
2. Why wait? Can you say Jackson, Burrows and Herbert? Do you think the average pay is going to be less in a year or two? Of course there is a risk that Russ may not be what they hoped - but that decision was already made when they made the trade.
3. As cdumler has already pointed out, this is not necessarily a 7 year deal, rather there are outs after years 4 and 5.

As a Broncos fan, I would see it as reckless not to sign him to an extension now. And they did what needed to be done. I haven’t heard from a single Bronco fan who isn’t thrilled with this deal. It’s truly a team friendly deal if Russ is a franchise QB. There is such a sense of relief not arguing who should start - Drew or Teddy.

The #3 part here of it not being a true 7-year deal seems to be baffling people. This is what separates the NFL from every other sport with contracts in rarely does a player play the entirety of a contract. They either restructure because the player is playing so well and want more guarantees added back in for protections for them. Throw in then the team can continue to lower the cap hits and keep a competitive team on the field. Or they cut the player because they cannot live up to the contract.

If Wilson plays only 5-years of this deal before they rework the contract then this is closer to a $37 million a year type deal. Again when the guarantees run out it makes zero sense for either side not to come back to the table and work something out.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay my bad on the wording....What was the dollar amount Peyton was making his superbowl year and what was Wilsons dollar amount upon signing
Upon signing Wilson was set to make $24 million against the cap this year. That number has now been lowered because of this contract to $17 million. Next years was supposed to be $27 million and is now lowered to $22 million.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am once again asking the Wilson pooh-poohers what precisely are the Broncos supposed to do to keep up with the Chiefs and Chargers the next 5-10 years?

Draft and pray? How has that worked for them? That's even before the doom and gloom with Wilson being overblown.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last comment. I think Seattle fans should also look at this optimistically. You got a great haul and expecting a “down” year, should be in a good position to draft a potential franchise QB in 2023 with the resources to move up. Early signs indicate a much better class than this past year.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last comment. I think Seattle fans should also look at this optimistically. You got a great haul and expecting a “down” year, should be in a good position to draft a potential franchise QB in 2023 with the resources to move up. Early signs indicate a much better class than this past year.

This is exactly the boat I'm on. Some fans are upset that we probably won't win the Superb Owl this year, as if that was likely to happen had we fired Pete and kept Wilson without 2 offensive tackles.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am once again asking the Wilson pooh-poohers what precisely are the Broncos supposed to do to keep up with the Chiefs and Chargers the next 5-10 years?

Draft and pray? How has that worked for them? That's even before the doom and gloom with Wilson being overblown.
They already traded for Russ, and he is under club control for two years. They went all in to get him to keep up with the Chiefs and the Chargers for the next 2 years. What if Russ seriously declines and didn't pan out in this first year? In the unlikely event that happens (or if Russ gets seriously injured) then they have most definitely given the Chiefs and the Chargers the next 5-10 years with this contract. All I am saying is that there was no reason to pull the trigger on this deal now, before Russ has even taken a snap with the team. It's borderline malpractice.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I was happy with the deal we made with Denver. Hopefully we do find that QB of the future. I also hope everything works out for Russ in Denver in year two (we have Denver's first rounder next year). I just don't see why they extend the contract now. If things don't work out, that FO is getting a quick boot for making a move they absolutely did not need to rush.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already traded for Russ, and he is under club control for two years. They went all in to get him to keep up with the Chiefs and the Chargers for the next 2 years. What if Russ seriously declines and didn't pan out in this first year? In the unlikely event that happens (or if Russ gets seriously injured) then they have most definitely given the Chiefs and the Chargers the next 5-10 years with this contract. All I am saying is that there was no reason to pull the trigger on this deal now, before Russ has even taken a snap with the team. It's borderline malpractice.
Yeah, it really made no sense since he had a contract.

New head coach in Denver and a new offense for him to learn.