• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Cutler be here next year?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a serious question, haters aside, what makes any of us believe that we will not be having the exact same conversation (again) next year, well other than everyone gives up on this board? Its not a prove me wrong statement, its an every year statement from the past 7 years. I ask if anyone knows if Kevin white is more of a Calvin Johnson, Julio* Jones type receiver and nobody knows. He had Forte his whole career here, what if he is gone? All Forte wants is a respectable number, not break the bank again. He understands his snaps are being reduced. Do you want to pay retail for Jeffrey after his showing he cannot stay on the field? People are bringing up discipline issues with Jeffrey, not police issues, but over indulging and not 100% focused on keeping his body ready for football.

So far the biggest argument is his records (see Phillip Rivers) in a Chicago history when they never felt they needed the elite, and who else is going to be better since we never want to challenge him with a early round quarterback pick.

Right now I can see the high side is Jeffrey healthy if resigned and Kevin White. Promising backfield of Langford and Carey. I think Meridith can be a receiver in this league, its his first year at the position after 14 QB starts at ISU.

Low side is the offensive line is a mess, need two guards and two tackles, with the possibility of Long returning to his pro bowl position of guard. Possible loss of Jeffrey and Forte. Biggest problem yet another offensive system to learn and another coordinator to try their hand at "fixing" Jay. Not my word, every commentator on TV's word.

Lets take this back to the first post and start fresh. I wont take each of your posts as jock sniffer if you dont take my post as Cutler hate.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Cutler will be here, because no team is going to trade us the first round pick (or a picks package) it would take to make the trade fair for us, and there's no way we would even consider cutting him with his dead money charge. He's your 2016 QB, even if we spend the first rounder on a QB. It doesn't make much difference, because the roster is not on the verge of a Super Bowl run, it is going to be yet another year of hoping to see some developments of some young guys we drafted recently and will draft this year. If things go well, we might make the playoffs. But that's next year's ceiling, so it makes no real difference whether Cutler is here or not, so there's no point in arguing over it.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler will be here, because no team is going to trade us the first round pick (or a picks package) it would take to make the trade fair for us, and there's no way we would even consider cutting him with his dead money charge. He's your 2016 QB, even if we spend the first rounder on a QB. It doesn't make much difference, because the roster is not on the verge of a Super Bowl run, it is going to be yet another year of hoping to see some developments of some young guys we drafted recently and will draft this year. If things go well, we might make the playoffs. But that's next year's ceiling, so it makes no real difference whether Cutler is here or not, so there's no point in arguing over it.

Nobody is arguing, the question is why wont we be having the same exact discussion again after next season?

C

cubzzzfanincali

well, two things could be very different after next season. One, with another year to remake the roster under their belts, it is possible the Bears may have a better core of players than they do now. We may see development out of Goldman, White may emerge, we will know a little more for sure what we do or don't have in Kyle Fuller and Lamarr Houston, Long may become better at tackle, Grasu may develop, and we will have a new draft class to look at, etc. It is possible we will still have a talent-poor roster, but hey you can't have less than zero Pro Bowlers, right? Maybe we will be in better shape.

Two, the complexion of the Cutler contract changes radically after this season. His dead money charge drops from $16 million to $3 million. His actual cap hit also drops for a couple of years in '17 and '18 before popping back up again in '19 and '20, so his play can afford to fall off a little, but the decrease in dead money charge makes decisions about him a lot more flexible than they are right now.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to avoid every thread being about Jay Cutler, so I am moving what Josie responded to in that other thread.

Typically... you're missing the point. YOU want to place all the blame on Jay Cutler most of the time. When others bring up "REASONs" the team doesn't do well/hasn't done well. Defense/WR's/Oline...etc. You say: That much $ QB "should make the team better"
ONE: HE DID. By leaps and bounds- did you see the Seattle game?
TWO: What about Drew Brees? He hasn't made the playoffs in two years too. Rivers? Even you're MAKE and CARRY their teams to playoffs every year QB's... What happens EVERY time they lose? The blame goes to the defense/WR's/Oline...etc. <exactly what I and many others are doing for Cutler.

No, you read everything I write as blaming your glory boy for everything. Each time we try to go to a different area of this team you always bring up your boy.

So you want to make it all about Cutler, fine, Adam Gase and John Fox put a leash on him with a running game. Which other of your elites were handcuffed this way?

Jay Cutler

Here is a split page, he was allowed to throw the ball over 30 yards only 26 times out of 483 attempts this year. completing only 8. That is mind boggling for a big arm quarterback. His average yards per completion is a stunning 7.58 yards. Mr Screen Pass. Even these shit receivers running top speed down the sidelines should have created a few more attempts to open up the short game.

100 passes out of 483 attempts thrown BEHIND the line of scrimmage, 213 thrown less than 10 yards.

That is unbelievable, nearly 2/3rds of the time, he was not given a play to throw for more than 10 yards.

Thats all on the receivers?

Yeah, I get it, we are still stuck with him, but this is what you want to build around again, a guy that is allowed to throw 10 yard routes.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's look at a factor other then the coach handcuffed Cutler. No Marshal, No Jeffery, No Royal, No M Wilson. No K White. 1/2 of M Bennett. Was it the coach handcuffing him?

C

cubzzzfanincali

No one thing causes anything in football, no doubt there were lots of reasons for lots of things. The injuries to the receivers certainly hurt us although you can find examples of other teams that had decimated receiver groups that still succeeded. I think what AI is trying to say is that it was a conscious move on Gase's part to control Cutler's throws downfield. Where AI is, I think, wrong in criticizing is that it is actually to Jay's credit that he following the coaching. He definitely limited his turnovers more this year. While I obviously don't like Cutler, I think there is something positive in the fact that at age 32 he at least listened to his coaching.

What you are really criticizing, AI, is Gase's philosophy on how to use Cutler. On this board we debated this subject mid-season, it seems like most of us were happy with it and wanted him to keep doing it. I don't think Cutler is awesome, but I would take 2015 Cutler over 2014 Cutler any day of the week. He got away with some pretty bad passes in some games, but don't all QBs. The fact that the risks were more controlled was, I think, one thing better about the season. Not better enough, but better.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know where to get the stats when he did have them and the interceptions were double. There is not just a yearly drop down.

I am just using the inexperience receivers as suggesting they should have at least been able to run downfield, you figure experience goes with the intricate stuff where all those top named healthy receivers were the go up and get it type.