• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Cutler be here next year?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Cutler is the only NFL quarterback with at least 10 starts this season and zero multi-interception games. Stats are fun. Whatever you can do I can do too, just not as smug. Jay Cutler is your Chicago Bears Quarterback...get over it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly I am staying out of this discussion (my Christmas present to the board...YOU'RE WELCOME!), but this I cannot let go by.

Jay Cutler has one of the highest int rates in the league among active QBs:

NFL Active Pass Interception % Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

He also is one of the highest fumblers of QBs, and when you consider age, this isn't pretty:
NFL Active Fumbles Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

In total, he has been a turnover machine:
Rodgers, Ryan, Brady Best Ever Protecting The Football

This season, his relatively turnover-improved year (which tells you how badly we have been conditioned by him) he is better but not great (10th place) in interception rate and is tied for 2nd with 5 fumbles lost behind leaders Mariota and McCown who have 6.

Jay Cutler, for most of his career, is a turnover machine. If you want to argue other aspects of Cutler's game, by all means, please do, but the argument that Cutler gets a bad rap for his interceptions is patently crazy.

Anyway, happy holidays everyone.

Well, the comment about him taking so much criticism, was related to a conversation I heard during pre-game shows Sunday. Where a host of one of those fantasy football shows on NFLN said; "Well, we all know... just give it time, and Jay Cutler will throw your defense a few". Which just seemed like an ignorant comment pertaining to this season. He is near the top of the league in fewest INT's thrown, and has the longest active streak of not having a multiple INT game. Meanwhile, this host pretty much said that a multiple INT game was the norm. Just perplexed me.

I also don't blame him for a lot of the fumbling. The guy has been beat around like a rag doll for the majority of his time here. A QB getting swarmed from both sides can easily result in a fumble, no matter who you are. A QB is so vulnerable to fumbling in the pocket, with a bad O-line it's inevitable. It's not like he's poor at escaping the rush. It's a strong point in his game. Clearly, there were other factors in his fumbling.

Regardless... My statement about Stafford throwing more INT's than Cutler 4 of the past 5 years is 100% factual. I do realize Stafford throws more often than Cutler.

I am not denying Jay's past of turnovers. However, I also think they were mainly isolated to a couple different periods of time. 09, early 10 and 2014. He was very poor with the football during these stints, but he has also had many periods of time where he did take care of the football well. This year and 2011's 5 game win streak, likely his best. He's just been very inconsistent during his career as a Bear. No doubt about that.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to add this idea to the topic of Jay's penchant for throwing picks... as least in the context of last year. (And could be argued for a little in 2009) Hear me out...this is just my theory. Take it for what you will...

Jay Cutler was an asshole. He's a jerk who yells at teammates, pushes lineman, mean mugs the camera and walks away from coaches on the sideline. Perpetual jerkface... BUT...what if all that is just his hyper competitiveness coming out? What if he's so pissed at himself (or others) mistakes that it comes off as him looking like an asshole? It's true that he believes in himself & his abilities enough to try to strong arm balls into tight windows and is confident enough in his arm strength to even attempt to make throws that others wouldn't even bother with? Or is competitive enough to say... that's their BEST cover corner? I'm going RIGHT at him, you want to be the best you have to beat the best, right? <this I believe to be true.

Going to 2014... his defense was SOOOO bad and they were down by so many points so often... Jay said, "fuck it" I'm going to take this over and TRY to get scores. TRY to move the team down the field... I Want to win SOOO badly that I don't care...a 4 yard checkdown or throw away when you're down 20+ points isn't going to do anything but force us to punt and thus go down another 7 points after our defense gives up yet another touchdown. Why not go for it...if it's picked off who cares- they were going to score on our defense anyway, if I was "safe" and we had to punt. Thus pick, pick, pick... (and I might add all those "garbage" yards and TD's that everyone loved to point out)

In 2009- his first year with the team...I think he tried to justify his trade and "savior" label by forcing things.

Uber Ultra Competitiveness. That is all. We saw it this year with his 4th quarter come backs, but we saw a more mature guy too. We also saw a TEAM and coaching staff that was standing behind him. Nobody was throwing him under the bus (Marshall & Kromer) Guys were voting him captain and heaping praise on his actions. That means something. They were also very competitive in most games. No need to force things when you're only down 3 points. When you can trust your defense to NOT give up 30 points a game. You can say, Okay let's check it down, let's throw it away... we'll have another chance later.

I love the ultra competitiveness... the greats all have it... It's what drives them. Brady, Manning, Jordan, Tiger Woods... All showed a bit of the asshole gene too. Just my two cents.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Cutler had many interceptions due to having really bad WRs to work with. I'm sure it inflated the int stats by 1/3 or more.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dolphins have already requested permission to interview Gase for HC position. That may be a team he would like. It's a little closer to competing/winning than some of the others. Grrrrrr

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dolphins have already requested permission to interview Gase for HC position. That may be a team he would like. It's a little closer to competing/winning than some of the others. Grrrrrr

Shit...

Yeah, he's gone. Sucks.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well. He missed 6 games in 2011. Where he threw 7 INT's. While Stafford threw more than twice as many with 16. In 2013, Stafford threw 19 to Cutler's 12. Cutler missed 5.

Still a rather safe bet that Jay finishes with less than Stafford.

I mean... I get it. You wouldn't be doing your duty if you didn't try to discredit Jay in every area possible.

No, no you don't get it...... Tell me again how he's tied for what 5th you say in giving up the least ints,but not mentioning him missing 2 1/2 games that I can think of......I get it, you don't.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly I am staying out of this discussion (my Christmas present to the board...YOU'RE WELCOME!), but this I cannot let go by.

Jay Cutler has one of the highest int rates in the league among active QBs:

NFL Active Pass Interception % Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

He also is one of the highest fumblers of QBs, and when you consider age, this isn't pretty:
NFL Active Fumbles Leaders | Pro-Football-Reference.com

In total, he has been a turnover machine:
Rodgers, Ryan, Brady Best Ever Protecting The Football

This season, his relatively turnover-improved year (which tells you how badly we have been conditioned by him) he is better but not great (10th place) in interception rate and is tied for 2nd with 5 fumbles lost behind leaders Mariota and McCown who have 6.

Jay Cutler, for most of his career, is a turnover machine. If you want to argue other aspects of Cutler's game, by all means, please do, but the argument that Cutler gets a bad rap for his interceptions is patently crazy.

Anyway, happy holidays everyone.

Rich where are you?
Profootball reference is discrediting Jay.....

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay 2 ints in 10 attempts.......?

I got it our top receivers are out, but 2 in 10 attempts?...... And the first one was in the endzone.....Great play made that happy, but I'm guessing it was Joey theory here that kicked in:

"BUT...what if all that is just his hyper competitiveness coming out? Why not go for it...if it's picked off who cares-'

:tsk:

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And... he's gone almost perfect in the second half with 2 touchdowns and is attempting to driving his team down for a game winner....again.
You're point is invalid. The ONE game all year where he throws two picks and Cutler haters have to bring it up.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the instant I click reply- he throws a 3rd pick. SMH.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pics were kind of unlucky. One on a deflection and the other 2 were because he was hit as he was throwing. Doesn't take away from the terrific season that he had. I thought he did a lot with a decimated receiver group today.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First INT should've been a Pass Interference.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And... he's gone almost perfect in the second half with 2 touchdowns and is attempting to driving his team down for a game winner....again.
You're point is invalid. The ONE game all year where he throws two picks and Cutler haters have to bring it up.

Hey look, I've laid off this guy for awhile now, but its not my fault he's disappointed again.
You guys just keep hinging your hopes on him, and I'll just keep shaking my head.......

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ONE home win all year Joey, there is a constant. Defense played well enough today, three picks on the Lion side of the field, Jay had a bad game. 18 million cap hit.

Look, Gase is gone, another new system to have as another excuse, no bromance with the new offensive coordinator, maybe a dozen returning players and the team is not ready to move on with anything but another free agent.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy, but Cutler's performance in this game actually impresses me. Yes he had 3 picks, all in Lions territory, but the first one should've been a Pass Interference and the other 2 were just great plays by Ansah.

Considering who our starting WRs were today, I think Jay played admirably.

Queue the hate.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would put none of those 3 int's on Jay. Shit way to end his season he played great today.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will be here next year. However, if Gase is gone, then I think Cutler will revert back to the old turnover prone QB. What I have noticed about Cutler is he looks like he could be great on bad teams, but when the team is expected to be good, he sucks. I think Gase can buck the trend, but I think he will get hired as a HC somewhere.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey look, I've laid off this guy for awhile now, but its not my fault he's disappointed again.
You guys just keep hinging your hopes on him, and I'll just keep shaking my head.......

Disappointed again? The guy put up a career high 93 passer rating even though the offense was decimated by injuries. Cutler played very, very well this year. If he plays at this level when the team around him is good, the Bears will go a long way. Hopefully Fox will be able to build up the team quickly. He has a history of taking over bad teams and making them a contender in his second season.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ONE home win all year Joey, there is a constant. Defense played well enough today, three picks on the Lion side of the field, Jay had a bad game. 18 million cap hit.

Look, Gase is gone, another new system to have as another excuse, no bromance with the new offensive coordinator, maybe a dozen returning players and the team is not ready to move on with anything but another free agent.

A 97.5 passer rating isn't a bad game. He did a lot with a very weaking receiver group today. The 3 picks were very unlucky. One a deflection, and the other 2 he was hit as he was throwing. Every once in awhile a QB plays a good game but has terrible luck. That's what happened to Cutler today. He threw the ball GREAT, as evidenced by the very high completion percentage and YPA. He just has a few fluke INTs. Very unfortunate, but I guess he was due for a game like that since he hadn't had a multiple INT game all year.