• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wild idea

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah I wasn't very clear. Wilson is more than a game manager for sure, but what I meant was with Seattle's supporting cast you're going to be in every game (mostly) WITH a game manager :). I feel like they will keep a decent running game even with Lynch gone (he's not carrying the rock 350+ times a season) and the defense needs to bounce back after injuries granted, but the defense as a whole is very young and can make the bounce back somewhat easily I feel.

And I agree with you, I want him back and would love him, but making him the top paid QB/player is ridiculous to me.
If Wilson leaves, he takes 30% of the running game with him.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Wilson leaves, he takes 30% of the running game with him.

And 100% of your opportunities of championships.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And 100% of your opportunities of championships.
That's a bit overstated. There other possible routes ( long shots , no doubt) Trading for a older D. Brees, trading with Tampa bay for the #1 pick and taking Winston, or trading for Derek Carr who I think is going to be very good. I sure there are other routes that could be tried. Not that I expect any of them to happen.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is the difference between being in games, and winning them. The supporting cast is great, but without a QB you dont compete for championships. Get ready for Wilson to be one the highest paid players in the league. And get ready him to restructure every couple years in order to keep someone.

Some positions can be compensated for. A great decision/play-maker under center is not one of those things. The thought of the Seahawks losing Wilson makes me sick, he will be here winning games long after most of his teammates.

I don't actually see that happening, but don't expect the Seahawks to bend over either. J Schneider has repeatedly said they want to sign Wilson, but still be able to keep a championship team around him. Every thing they have done to this point has driven that point home. Extend Lynch, trade for Graham, sign Cary Williams to $8 million dollar contract:L and everyone else they have signed.
I expect that Wilson doesn't sign this off season, I think your going to see both sides dig in to their position and hold firm. Then the franchise tag. Eventually they will come to a agreement, but it's going to be a long and painful ordeal IMO.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="Podunkparte, post: 6454414, member: 470doesn't touhat's a great point. We take shit about having the best D + Beast Mode as our winning formula, yet Detroit, with the #2 D, Megatron, who is at least as good a WR as Lynch is a RB, and Stafford, who is a top 15 QB, doesn't get anywhere close to where we've been the last few years. It's gotta say something about RW.[/QUOTE]
The flaw with your thought process is Megatron doesn't touch the ball 20-25 times a game. Lynch has a huge impact on the success of the Hawks. Not taking anything away from RW. It woukd be interesting to see how he would do on a team with just a middle of the row RB core? No way he deserves being paid as the top player yet alone the top QB. He's talented no doubt but i base my opinion on the system he's in. Because of the D and Lynch we really don't know his full potential I feel?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't actually see that happening, but don't expect the Seahawks to bend over either. J Schneider has repeatedly said they want to sign Wilson, but still be able to keep a championship team around him. Every thing they have done to this point has driven that point home. Extend Lynch, trade for Graham, sign Cary Williams to $8 million dollar contract:L and everyone else they have signed.
I expect that Wilson doesn't sign this off season, I think your going to see both sides dig in to their position and hold firm. Then the franchise tag. Eventually they will come to a agreement, but it's going to be a long and painful ordeal IMO.
Will the Hawks be able to afford a franchise tag for a QB? Also those tags can backfire. Players don't like being franchised.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="Podunkparte, post: 6454414, member: 470doesn't touhat's a great point. We take shit about having the best D + Beast Mode as our winning formula, yet Detroit, with the #2 D, Megatron, who is at least as good a WR as Lynch is a RB, and Stafford, who is a top 15 QB, doesn't get anywhere close to where we've been the last few years. It's gotta say something about RW.
The flaw with your thought process is Megatron doesn't touch the ball 20-25 times a game. Lynch has a huge impact on the success of the Hawks. Not taking anything away from RW. It woukd be interesting to see how he would do on a team with just a middle of the row RB core? No way he deserves being paid as the top player yet alone the top QB. He's talented no doubt but i base my opinion on the system he's in. Because of the D and Lynch we really don't know his full potential I feel?

Your thinking is also flawed, just think how much better Wilson would make a middle of the road running team. He would propel them to the top half of the league and then add in the better WR core and Russell's passing will improve. People tend to forget who Russel is throwing to on the Hawks where is Best WR is a 5 foot 9 190 pound undrafted players and his #2 is also undrafted and runs about a 4.7 40 :p. Seattle was the 21st Rushing offense with Lynch and No Wilson, just so you know.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your thinking is also flawed, just think how much better Wilson would. Take a middle of the road running team. He would propel them to the top half of the league and then add in the better WR core and Russell's passing will improve. People tend to forget who Russel is throwing to onDeion he Hawks where is Best WR is a 5 foot 9 190 pound undrafted players and his #2 is also undrafted and runs about a 4.7 40 :p. Seattle was the 21st Rushing offense with Lynch and No Wilson, just so you know.
I'll give you that teams total running yards MAY improve? But when a team does`t have to gang tackle a RB like Lynch then that leaves
other defenders to contain RW. Thus he's not as effective as a runner any longer. As for his WRs there was a guy named Tom Brady who takes no name undersized wide receivers to the playoffs and SBs time and time again. Deion Branch was one that Seattle released just so you know.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give you that teams total running yards MAY improve? But when a team does`t have to gang tackle a RB like Lynch then that leaves
other defenders to contain RW.
Thus he's not as effective as a runner any longer. As for his WRs there was a guy named Tom Brady who takes no name undersized wide receivers to the playoffs and SBs time and time again. Deion Branch was one that Seattle released just so you know.

Ok, stop. You speak as though teams facing the Seahawks designate more defenders to attack the RB because it's Lynch. You say "when a team doesn't have to gang tackle..." And when exactly is that? Defenses always attack a ball carrier with as many tacklers as they can.

The only realistic scenario that your wording implies is that of a spy. Usually a coverage LB who gives up his duties in run coverage to follow the QB in the backfield whether he has the ball or not. In no way does that scenario give the defense an advantage in the run game.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for his WRs there was a guy named Tom Brady who takes no name undersized wide receivers to the playoffs and SBs time and time again. Deion Branch was one that Seattle released just so you know.
And Brady is a great player.

That's all I think that's being said here -- there's a lot more of Wilson making his team bettter going on than the other way around, yet when Wilson gets compared to the league's top QBs, all we hear about is how great the D and "running game" is. They don't seem to account for lack of weapons in the passing game, and they also gloss over a fairly weak OL.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Megatron May not touch the ball as much as a RB, but he does massively effect how teams scheme them and makes it "easier" for his QB. Defenses ALWAYS keep a safety over top of him. Making defenses predictable, leaving other routes and receivers with easier assignments, not to mention the defenses inability to blitz when keeping an extra guy in coverage all game.

Wilson is always talked about like the luckiest guy alive, while every other QB has it so much tougher. :L All it takes is to just ignore or downplay their advantages and exaggerate Wilsons.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bit overstated. There other possible routes ( long shots , no doubt) Trading for a older D. Brees, trading with Tampa bay for the #1 pick and taking Winston, or trading for Derek Carr who I think is going to be very good. I sure there are other routes that could be tried. Not that I expect any of them to happen.

I wouldn't expect them to happen either, at all. But maybe there is a ever so slight chance that Wilson could be replaced with another franchise QB, so maybe rather than 100%, it's more like 99.99954% that the championship window would close if he left.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't expect them to happen either, at all. But maybe there is a ever so slight chance that Wilson could be replaced with another franchise QB, so maybe rather than 100%, it's more like 99.99954% that the championship window would close if he left.
I dont think it's outlandish to say Wilson could be replaced by another franchise QB. But that assumes away what's really the most difficult aspect of building a team: finding a franchise QB. How long would it take? How much draft capital would we burn through before we found one? This is pretty much why RW *is* going to get a contract that makes him one of the highest paid players around, whether other fans think he "deserves" it or not.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for his WRs there was a guy named Tom Brady who takes no name undersized wide receivers to the playoffs and SBs time and time again. Deion Branch was one that Seattle released just so you know.

Released? If you're trying to point out a fact, make sure the fact is correct. Branch was traded for a 4th round pick. A fourth round pick that turned into K.J. Wright, who has started for the Seahawks since the 5th game of his rookie year.

Branch's issue with Seattle was he couldn't stay healthy. He missed 1/4 of the games he could have played in for Seattle (17 of 68), but is still tied for #6 in Seahawk history in catches per game (with at least 20 games). All in all, Seattle got a hell of a deal for a 31 year old injury prone WR.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Released? If you're trying to point out a fact, make sure the fact is correct. Branch was traded for a 4th round pick. A fourth round pick that turned into K.J. Wright, who has started for the Seahawks since the 5th game of his rookie year.

Branch's issue with Seattle was he couldn't stay healthy. He missed 1/4 of the games he could have played in for Seattle (17 of 68), but is still tied for #6 in Seahawk history in catches per game (with at least 20 games). All in all, Seattle got a hell of a deal for a 31 year old injury prone WR.
Well, considering we traded a first round pick for him, I think all in all NE got the better of us in that pair of deals. Love KJ though.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, considering we traded a first round pick for him, I think all in all NE got the better of us in that pair of deals. Love KJ though.

True, but that has nothing to do with whether Russell Wilson has weapons or not (which is where this comes from). I ignored that Branch was traded before Wilson was picked due to Pete Carroll and John Schneider were the decision makers on that trade and Branch was still under contract for the 2012 season, had he not been traded. The original idea was that Tom Brady made it work with a receiver that Seattle cut (hence insinuating that Tom Brady's receivers were even worse than Wilsons since Branch couldn't crack the Seahawks line up), which is patently false.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think it's outlandish to say Wilson could be replaced by another franchise QB. But that assumes away what's really the most difficult aspect of building a team: finding a franchise QB. How long would it take? How much draft capital would we burn through before we found one? This is pretty much why RW *is* going to get a contract that makes him one of the highest paid players around, whether other fans think he "deserves" it or not.

Its maybe the toughest thing for franchises to do, find a true franchise QB. Its so tough, if I has to choose between keeping the entire team and losing Wilson or keeping Wilson and building everything else from the ground up, I would take him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its maybe the toughest thing for franchises to do, find a true franchise QB. Its so tough, if I has to choose between keeping the entire team and losing Wilson or keeping Wilson and building everything else from the ground up, I would take him.
Wow, pretty strong statement. I really really really want the Seahawks to resign him, but I'm not ready to go that far. Call me a greedy fan, but I want the Seahawks to resign Wilson and still be able to keep a championship talented team around him.
I think the Seahawks do also, if they didn't then Paul Allen should just sign a blank check, slide it over to Wilson and tell him to fill in the amount.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, pretty strong statement. I really really really want the Seahawks to resign him, but I'm not ready to go that far. Call me a greedy fan, but I want the Seahawks to resign Wilson and still be able to keep a championship talented team around him.
I think the Seahawks do also, if they didn't then Paul Allen should just sign a blank check, slide it over to Wilson and tell him to fill in the amount.

Thats not greedy at all. I expect them to resign him and keep a great team around him. I suspect we'll get our cake and eat it too. But hypothetically speaking, if I had to choose, I would choose Wilson. Thats how good I think he is and will be for some time.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats not greedy at all. I expect them to resign him and keep a great team around him. I suspect we'll get our cake and eat it too. But hypothetically speaking, if I had to choose, I would choose Wilson. Thats how good I think he is and will be for some time.
Always enjoy your thoughts Sonny. I find them reassuring.