• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wild idea

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of bored and just tossing around random ideas. It seems to me that the Seahawks and Russell Wilson are having some tough negotiating going on and both sides are patiently waiting for the other to blink first. So what if it comes down to brass tacks and the Seahawks find it would not be prudent to sign Russell for the $ it would take? What are their options? Well they could play hardball and let RW play out his contract then franchise tag him. Not sure how often they can use the franchise tag on RW, more then once I think.
The second option would to put RW on the trading block and that got me wondering, mmm what would the market be like if they were willing to listen to trade offers for RW. Lots of teams could use a QB. How about trading trading for a young and cheap QB plus some good draft picks? Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, Zach Mettenberger, Nick Foles, come to mind.

Now remember I'm not recommending the Seahawks do this. This is more of a what if scenario. It leads to some creative ideas for a trade, don't you think?

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to happen. But for shits and grins? Mettenberger, the #2 pick this year, and the Titans '16 first and we can talk.

Maybe.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't really been following the RW contract talks. Is there a portion of the fan base upset/worried about the contract actually happening? Can't imagine it myself :noidea:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to happen. But for shits and grins? Mettenberger, the #2 pick this year, and the Titans '16 first and we can talk.

Maybe.
You know that idea is worth pondering. Helps on cap space for a few years also. Just think of who they draft with the # 2 pick......

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't really been following the RW contract talks. Is there a portion of the fan base upset/worried about the contract actually happening? Can't imagine it myself :noidea:
Maybe just a little bit, but mostly just bored and throwing around ideas.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it is merely impatience and anxiousness at getting it done. I can't imagine it happening either. Harold is just putting out a little "what if" scenario.
Depending on which team we would be trading with (ie. Tenn @#2 vs NE @ # 32) my guess would be something like 2 1sts for Tenn or 2 1sts + for a later drafting team.

Many non Seahawk fans think we can win it all with an average QB because of our stellar D and running game. I don't buy into that theory. Detroit had the #2 D last year. I would call Stafford an above average QB. While he doesn't have Lynch, he has some solid offensive weapons. Yet, they get above average wins and have not gone far in the playoffs.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting scenario. I agree, it won't happen but....
I think Carr has great potential. Get a couple of 1's and a ton of cap space and Carr?
Not a bad way to recover from a failed signing.
(RW will be playing for Seattle for some time to come)

What about a trade for Brady - straight up?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way does Russ go anywhere... OMG ... Pete and John will get it done.... If anything they'll franchise him next year ... But I see it getting done before that...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Carr has great potential. Get a couple of 1's and a ton of cap space and Carr?

Brady is one helluva QB... But Russ is gonna be doing his thing long after Mr Brady retires and takes his place in Canton ... I think the best of Russ is yet too come...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way does Russ go anywhere... OMG ... Pete and John will get it done.... If anything they'll franchise him next year ... But I see it getting done before that...
Of course they will, but what if....what kind of a trade would you like to see. Just for shits and grins?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think I'd rather see a trade for young and cheap plus a bunch of draft choices.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about a trade with TB? They have the first pick in the draft,

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Derek Carr is the one I'd like myself. I think this guy will be good.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Raiders trade Carr as they have him on a cheap contract for the next 3 years meaning they can build a team around him just like Seattle has done with Russell Wilson. You can tag a player twice. The first time isn't bad and is affordable (although the quarterback tag is still very much up there and at that point might as well just pay him). The second year though rarely ever happens because the NFL has set it up to skyrocket to make the player the highest paid player of the position so again might as well have paid him by then.

As for value...I'm not actually sure. I would bet there are some teams that do wonder how Russell Wilson would do without such an amazing run game and a defense that keeps them in every game. There will be some teams though that see him as that cornerstone player that is worth paying top money for. The issue being though knowing that you are going to have to give him possibly the richest NFL contract in history does drive down at least how much the Seahawks could get in draft picks. My guess is it would be 2 1st round picks at most again because of the contract. As much as the top-10 teams picking would think about it they would also think they could just draft a quarterback in those picks and have them locked down for the next 5-years at pennies on the dollar.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Raiders trade Carr as they have him on a cheap contract for the next 3 years meaning they can build a team around him just like Seattle has done with Russell Wilson. You can tag a player twice. The first time isn't bad and is affordable (although the quarterback tag is still very much up there and at that point might as well just pay him). The second year though rarely ever happens because the NFL has set it up to skyrocket to make the player the highest paid player of the position so again might as well have paid him by then.

As for value...I'm not actually sure. I would bet there are some teams that do wonder how Russell Wilson would do without such an amazing run game and a defense that keeps them in every game. There will be some teams though that see him as that cornerstone player that is worth paying top money for. The issue being though knowing that you are going to have to give him possibly the richest NFL contract in history does drive down at least how much the Seahawks could get in draft picks. My guess is it would be 2 1st round picks at most again because of the contract. As much as the top-10 teams picking would think about it they would also think they could just draft a quarterback in those picks and have them locked down for the next 5-years at pennies on the dollar.

Yeah and just how many of them will work out? RW has a track record. Besides I'm looking at some young QBs already drafted that could be developed plus draft choices.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Raiders have cash to spend, but nobody is interested. So I doubt the money to sign for RW bothers them in the least.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders have cash to spend, but nobody is interested. So I doubt the money to sign for RW bothers them in the least.

Well the issue for the Raiders goes deeper than them just having the money. Theoretically you are correct they have the cap space and probably above any other team could easily fit Russell Wilson on the team for the next 5-years even at the most expensive contract in football history. The issue comes down to 2 things though for them...They have a kid that shows promise who is on a cheap contract giving them the opportunity to sign elsewhere. 2) The biggest issue is not that the Raiders have the Cap Space but that signing Russell Wilson means big time guaranteed money that has to go into an account that the NFL has set up the second they sign him. The Raider's owner might be the poorest owner in the league causing issues with signing the big guaranteed contracts. It is why none of the big name players want to come to Oakland because they know they can get more guaranteed money elsewhere.

Now about some team in the top-10. You are right those are unproven players but they are also cheap players that give the team the chance to build around the player. Once any team signs Russell Wilson to the huge contract it begins to limit them in what they can do for the next 5-years. Throw in then giving up the 1st round picks makes it very hard to build quality players around him and since they can't go the FA way of things as much because of one player taking up say 15-20% of the Cap it makes it a challenge.

Again I'm not saying some team won't give up a ton to get Russell Wilson. I do think some team in the league will make that decision that he is the cornerstone player worth giving up a load of picks. I just think with his huge contract coming up it does make it a bit more challenging and makes it a little harder for some team to just fork over the next couple of years worth of draft picks.