• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is your 2021 surprise team that comes out of nowhere to make a run to the playoffs?

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bengals might have the best chance with Burrow being as great as he is.

I would also say Chargers but I think that's more expected than out of nowhere with how great he was as a rookie and the talent on that roster.

Could also see a perfect storm scenario where the Lions make a run if Rodgers does sit the year out and Dan Campbell's intensity is able to motivate that Lions team to win a lot of close games before that wears off after a year. But they could also very easily end up with the #1 overall lick in next years draft.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Bengals might have the best chance with Burrow being as great as he is.

I would also say Chargers but I think that's more expected than out of nowhere with how great he was as a rookie and the talent on that roster.

Could also see a perfect storm scenario where the Lions make a run if Rodgers does sit the year out and Dan Campbell's intensity is able to motivate that Lions team to win a lot of close games before that wears off after a year. But they could also very easily end up with the #1 overall lick in next years draft.
You prefaced a "surprise" team. In that scenario most of the teams I can pick would not really be a surprise. (Example : AFCE except Jets)
Best I can come up with is San Francisco.
Only -14 net points for a last place team in a tough division. They were in a lot of games

The odd ones are NFC East. Any of those teams winning the division would not count as a suprise.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could make see an argument for Tigers and Bolts.

Mine is my team 2 Jacksonville. We were a not a horrible team last year, and I hate doing this, just a team with a horrible one year wonder at the most important position.

I think we could push for 1 of 7 playoff spots with an easy schedule. On the other hand I could see us in the top 10 of the draft.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas.

I know they're, (rightfully), NFC East favourites right now but they finished 3rd in the weakest NFL division last year - so that's my WEAK ass argument. :laugh:

I don't see any juggernauts in the NFC so it wouldn't be a huge stretch for the NFC East champion to be a top 2 seed for the NFC playoffs.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven’t seen anyone talking about how good Tampa and KC might be this year. They are my playoff sleepers.

And you can take my sleepers to the bank. I’ve more or less have nailed them since I first predicted that the ’95 Cowboys would make a run to the playoffs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there are 9 teams with bad Super Bowl odds:

Texans
Lions
Jaguars
Eagles
Jets
Bengals
Falcons
Giants
Raiders

So I'm picking from one of them.

Raiders and Falcons both have established QBs so they seem like the easy picks. Falcons lost a ton of close games last year but also lost Julio Jones. Added a young WR/TE threat but not sure how much to expect from a rookie. Falcons roster as a whole just kinda stinks, tbh. Raiders oline isn't the best and their WR corp isnt the best but their offense still should be top 10 with what is remaining. Raiders missed the playoffs last year and they were given a game against the Jets and managed to beat the Chiefs once. Its hard seeing them improve.

So...crossing both of them out.

I've kinda already put my .02 in with the Giants. So they'd be my pick although I think the odds for them, the Cowboys, and Skins should all be pretty even. imo. Since there is no overwhelming favorite in that division then they are my pick.

Jags, though. They'd be my 2nd pick. Titans and Colts might both be beatable. Jags have a lot of young talent that could get better. Houston is freefalling. New coach, new QB. Lots of upside.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll homer and say Atlanta

If we are being honest this was really about a 8 or 9 win team last year with any kind of capable coaching

Losing Julio isn't as big a deal as people think it will be considering the Falcons added Pitts and Davis

Offense was fine last year other than red zone and the 2 biggest contributing factors to that were no decent RB and no threat in the middle of the field both of which should he better

Defense is still a work in progress but it can't really be worse and Pees should be a huge upgrade at DC

Add in a last place schedule and I can see 10-7 or even 11-6

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthercats

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll homer and say Atlanta

If we are being honest this was really about a 8 or 9 win team last year with any kind of capable coaching

Losing Julio isn't as big a deal as people think it will be considering the Falcons added Pitts and Davis

Offense was fine last year other than red zone and the 2 biggest contributing factors to that were no decent RB and no threat in the middle of the field both of which should he better

Defense is still a work in progress but it can't really be worse and Pees should be a huge upgrade at DC

Add in a last place schedule and I can see 10-7 or even 11-6
"last place schedule? " I respectfully suggest you do not understand scheduling.
  • Each team plays its three division opponents twice, home and away (six games).
  • Each team plays all four teams from an in-conference division, based on a three-year rotation (four games). This year, it’s North vs. West and East vs. South in both conferences.
  • Each team plays all four teams from a nonconference division, based on a four-year rotation (four games). This year, it’s AFC East-NFC South, AFC North-NFC North, AFC South-NFC West and AFC West-NFC East.
  • Each team plays two intraconference teams based on the previous year’s standings (two games). First-place teams in each division will play the two first-place teams from the same conference who weren’t already part of the yearly rotation. The Kansas City Chiefs, for instance, will face the Buffalo Bills and Tennessee Titans (AFC division winners last year) along with the Pittsburgh Steelers (whom the Chiefs are playing anyway as part of the intraconference rotation).
You basically have the same schedule as Tamp Bay except for 3 games. You will get to play 3 lastplace teams for those 3 games.
J@ Jags, @SF and home against Lions

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"last place schedule? " I respectfully suggest you do not understand scheduling.
  • Each team plays its three division opponents twice, home and away (six games).
  • Each team plays all four teams from an in-conference division, based on a three-year rotation (four games). This year, it’s North vs. West and East vs. South in both conferences.
  • Each team plays all four teams from a nonconference division, based on a four-year rotation (four games). This year, it’s AFC East-NFC South, AFC North-NFC North, AFC South-NFC West and AFC West-NFC East.
  • Each team plays two intraconference teams based on the previous year’s standings (two games). First-place teams in each division will play the two first-place teams from the same conference who weren’t already part of the yearly rotation. The Kansas City Chiefs, for instance, will face the Buffalo Bills and Tennessee Titans (AFC division winners last year) along with the Pittsburgh Steelers (whom the Chiefs are playing anyway as part of the intraconference rotation).
You basically have the same schedule as Tamp Bay except for 3 games. You will get to play 3 lastplace teams for those 3 games.
J@ Jags, @SF and home against Lions
Yes i understand that. A last place schedule this year means your team is playing an extra 18% of its schedule vs teams who finished last place last year as opposed to

1st
2nd
3rd

It's a huge difference in scheduling given there's only 17 games in a season

It's akin to 17 ganes in the NBA/NHL or 33 games in baseball

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not buying Sam Darnold.
Me either, but I think he doesn’t have to be good. If he’s just a game manager I think the Panthers can be in most games.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You prefaced a "surprise" team. In that scenario most of the teams I can pick would not really be a surprise. (Example : AFCE except Jets)
Best I can come up with is San Francisco.
Only -14 net points for a last place team in a tough division. They were in a lot of games

The odd ones are NFC East. Any of those teams winning the division would not count as a suprise.
is san fran a surprise when they are expected to be super bowl contenders. By fans, media, and the oddsmakers?

Draftkings has them tied for 5th best superbowl odds with baltimore

KC-5/1
tb-6.5/1
Bills-12/1
Rams-13/1
Ravens-14/1
San Fran-14/1
Browns-16/1
Packers-16/1

Everyone else 25/1 or longer odds.

Im gonna go with the Gmen or the bears

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is san fran a surprise when they are expected to be super bowl contenders. By fans, media, and the oddsmakers?

Draftkings has them tied for 5th best superbowl odds with baltimore

KC-5/1
tb-6.5/1
Bills-12/1
Rams-13/1
Ravens-14/1
San Fran-14/1
Browns-16/1
Packers-16/1

Everyone else 25/1 or longer odds.

Im gonna go with the Gmen or the bears

Giants will be sitting in last place in the east by the end of the season.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants will be sitting in last place in the east by the end of the season.

I know we disagree on them. Tbh i think it all hinges on the qb. The d is adequate, and the offense has more than enough weapons. Can the qb not suck and move forward. Yes? Theyll be ok, no theyre in last with a top pick again.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gonna go with the Falcons.
When you look at the team on paper, it seems every year they underachieve.
Although whoever predicted the Bengals could have a point. They are a different team with Burrows playing & seemed to have improved their team.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gonna go with the Falcons.
When you look at the team on paper, it seems every year they underachieve.
Although whoever predicted the Bengals could have a point. They are a different team with Burrows playing & seemed to have improved their team.
I said it on the bengals board. That offense is dirty good. If the d is marginally better they will cause problems. Because the offense will produce at a high level