• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Who is the Greatest Overall Running Back since 1988?

Who is the Greatest Overall Running Back since 1988?

• Emmit Smith

• Curtis Martin

• Jerome Bettis

• Ladanian Tomlinson

• Barry Sanders

• Edgerrin James

• Frank Gore

• Thurman Thomas

• Eddie George

• Marshall Faulk

• Other (if any)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't front. That 5.0 ypc is gaudy as fuck to me in a good way. I do wonder though how many TDs Barry potentially lost due to being taken out of the game in goal to go situations. I say potentially lost TDs, but of some things there is no doubt. Had Barry not been taken out he those situations. He likely has more rushing TDs. He's definitely w/o a doubt though also have a lower career ypc.

Would've been interesting to see Barry in an offense with a killer blocking FB.

Barry's YPC would be closer to 10.0 if they counted sideways runs.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but with the caveat that every D he faced was solely focused on primarily shutting him down. Detroit was woefully lacking any other weapons which led him to an early retirement.

I now it has been 20 years past but you don't remember Herman Moore? Brett Perriman? Scott mitchell throwing for over 4000 yards one year?

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, not that he'd get a vote here but how could you leave Shaun Alexander off your list? There's only been 5 RB's that were MVP since 1988 and he's one of them. SA was one of the top RB's for about a 5 year stretch along with Tomlinson.

Rushing yards:9,453
Rushing average:
Rushing touchdowns: 100 (7th all time)
Receptions: 215
Receiving yards: 1,520
Receiving touchdowns: 12
Total Touchdowns: 112 (14th all time)

So, there is no way he's going to win "best ever" but he deserved to be on your list. You hurt me deep Rock.

How do you get an average back to look like a HOFer?

Play in a division that had no defense

:boink:

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope he didn't.

He also completed 55% of his passes. That while teams stacked 8 in the box to stop Barry Sanders. He had Herman Moore AND Brett Perriman in single coverage on almost every throw and he could not do it. Morton out of the slot too. Elite tools across the board and still could not pass mediocre

Andre Ware coulda fixed them!

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Emmitt was the guy to win the game in crunch time.
I thought Barry was the most pure fun to watch.
Marshall was centerpiece for greatest show on turf and seemed to have scheme on his side more than the other two to help him out (not saying he sucked cause he sure as hell didn't)
LT always seemed Marshall light to me.

I would have loved to have seen Marcus Allen play 100% of the time. We may not be having much of a discussion if him and Al didn't have their thing going on.

This is so subjective.........but being a homer I had to pick Emmitt, the guy with the most yards and SB rings.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry's YPC would be closer to 10.0 if they counted sideways runs.
otis smith still has nightmares

barry-sanders-o.gif

sanders1.gif

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the word "Overall" was left out then its Barry easy. There were some guys better in the pass game like Faulk, but if Barry was behind a good O-line he would have been the best ever. I would put Sears up there too.

Bo should be on the list too. He was the best physical talent ever. Could have been the best if things played out different.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the word "Overall" was left out then its Barry easy. There were some guys better in the pass game like Faulk, but if Barry was behind a good O-line he would have been the best ever. I would put Sears up there too.

Bo should be on the list too. He was the best physical talent ever. Could have been the best if things played out different.
bo caught 40 passes...in his career. he averaged 10 catches a year.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I now it has been 20 years past but you don't remember Herman Moore? Brett Perriman? Scott mitchell throwing for over 4000 yards one year?
Actually I just had to look the yards up because I had forgotten. Scott did have one really impressive season but the years after never matched up.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I just had to look the yards up because I had forgotten. Scott did have one really impressive season but the years after never matched up.

Yeah.......scotty sucked but he had some fun games too. I remember a thanksgiving game that was one of the most back and forth scoring adventures I have ever seen.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys that believe Smith was a better back than Sanders need to answer something very simple. If they switched teams, OLines, who would've had a better career? It's Sanders by about 2 planets...

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahman Green, saun Alexander, AD, and Bo not on the list?????

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo didn't do much in the NFL
Ahman Green and Shaun Alexander are not hall of famers.

The OP didn't specify if this was a best RB for a career or just who would you take in their prime. BO, Green and AD should be on this list for sure if just taking the best player at the top of their games. If this is a career then maybe just AD. But the OP didn't specify

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanders most overrated. He had some great runs, but he was not a complete back. He sucked at blocking. He had no hardware, but deserved an "I Quit" award.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanders most overrated. He had some great runs, but he was not a complete back. He sucked at blocking. He had no hardware, but deserved an "I Quit" award.
Yet he was a better back than Smith. If Smith was constantly getting hit 3 to 5 yards behind the LOS you could take about 5000 yards off his total and he'd be thought of as a good back, not a great one. It's really not that difficult to wrap your head around this, but some of you insist on ignoring reality.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emmit Smith was the offensive player of the decade.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole Sanders/Smith debate as always, is spun fully in one direction or the other. 'Smith has 3 rings.' 'Sanders played with nobody.' In the end, it's all just a bunch of garbage.

The Cowboy O-line didn't get anywhere near the praise prior to Smith walking in....that's because a lot of runs he made were based on patience and vision and waiting for holes to develop. That is a rare trait for an RB, and Smith was certainly one of the better ones at it. He most certainly helped make the offensive line better, and the stupidity that 'Sanders would gain 2500 yards behind that O-line' is just that.....stupid. He was the engine that drove the Cowboys, despite any claims that it was the QB in Aikman or the fiery leadership in Irvin. No and no. He may be the all time leading rusher, but in no way, shape or form do I believe he's the best rusher in history.

Sanders was by far a more electrifying runner. He was a human home run hitter....who struck out more than most any runner ever because he had very little to no patience and vision. When he did hit though....it was an 80 yarder for the major. His offensive line/talent was most certainly good enough, but was not a player to make them better. He also had a scenario set up for him with the spread offense in which he could attack the middle of the field. He was an individual lightning strike that flashed.

They were two totally different players except for their low center, and I'd say the best thing about them is that they came around at the same time for me to enjoy the laughable comments made by people about them. The only conclusion I could come up with is, Barry Sanders was the better individual football player, but Emmitt Smith was the better team-oriented player. Either one will do, and a good portion of my choice would come down to the type offense my team was running.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is Barry was the most amazing RB to watch. Jaw dropping moves like no one else.