• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Who is the Greatest Overall Running Back since 1988?

Who is the Greatest Overall Running Back since 1988?

• Emmit Smith

• Curtis Martin

• Jerome Bettis

• Ladanian Tomlinson

• Barry Sanders

• Edgerrin James

• Frank Gore

• Thurman Thomas

• Eddie George

• Marshall Faulk

• Other (if any)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought he went in 95?

No, he broke Lions records for yards and TD's, but no ProBowl. The year before with a similar cast he went 4-5 while completing 49% of his passes. 36 year old Dave Krieg finished the year went 5-2 with a 63%.

Mitchel got some Madden numbers for being on the team, but he was never good. He was the weak link on that team.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he broke Lions records for yards and TD's, but no ProBowl. The year before with a similar cast he went 4-5 while completing 49% of his passes. 36 year old Dave Krieg finished the year went 5-2 with a 63%.

Mitchel got some Madden numbers for being on the team, but he was never good. He was the weak link on that team.
i am a big dave krieg fan, small hands and fumbles aside. nearly 20 years for 6 teams. won 98 games to 77 losses and 261 TD's to 199 picks, on some really shit teams.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am a big dave krieg fan, small hands and fumbles aside. nearly 20 years for 6 teams. won 98 games to 77 losses and 261 TD's to 199 picks, on some really shit teams.

I agree liked him. He was pretty awesome for the Lions in 94.

It is strange to not like Scott Mitchell so much, I am a Utes and a Lions fan. He was always on my favorite teams. He basically pulled a Matt Cassel, Did not bomb after Marino got hurt and turned that into a big contract that he could never fulfill.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree liked him. He was pretty awesome for the Lions in 94.

It is strange to not like Scott Mitchell so much, I am a Utes and a Lions fan. He was always on my favorite teams. He basically pulled a Matt Cassel, Did not bomb after Marino got hurt and turned that into a big contract that he could never fulfill.
he was part of the "he's tall, draft him. he can see over the linemen!" era. his college stats were awful. he threw almost 40 picks in 3 years.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was part of the "he's tall, draft him. he can see over the linemen!" era. his college stats were awful. he threw almost 40 picks in 3 years.

yeah, he never led the Utes to a winning record in the WAC.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edgerrin James, I haven't heard that name since he played. Looked up his stats, sure is underrated. Not the greatest, but I had forgotten how good he really was. Hard to believe he has been out of the game since 09.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vote

i also tend to agree. i think emmits the most overrated back ive ever seen. sure, he had moments like that game in NJ where he had to get his hammys treated with electrodes....but i dont think he was even the best of his era, let alone all time....or the last 29 years or so.

barry was the most dynamic runner i ever saw, but he wasnt the best overall back.

There was NO ONE better at breaking tackles than Emmitt, dude was a force of nature. Of course, I know he had an all-time great OL, but that notwithstanding, he was a picture-perfect runner, pads always at perfect level, always delivering the blow to the tackler, taking perfect angles, incredible vision, and excellent longevity, considering how much he got used up by Dallas. I'd take Emmitt over Barry every day and on Sunday, and I'm absolutely unconvinced that Sanders would've fared as well as Emmitt, had he been in a Dallas uniform. For all his cat-like reflexes and incredible shiftiness, Sanders' vision was average, at best.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was NO ONE better at breaking tackles than Emmitt, dude was a force of nature. Of course, I know he had an all-time great OL, but that notwithstanding, he was a picture-perfect runner, pads always at perfect level, always delivering the blow to the tackler, taking perfect angles, incredible vision, and excellent longevity, considering how much he got used up by Dallas. I'd take Emmitt over Barry every day and on Sunday, and I'm absolutely unconvinced that Sanders would've fared as well as Emmitt, had he been in a Dallas uniform. For all his cat-like reflexes and incredible shiftiness, Sanders' vision was average, at best.
i disagree on the vision. barry could see 3 moves ahead.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i disagree on the vision. barry could see 3 moves ahead.

if he was looking directly at one spot, sure. emmitt played with eyes in the back of his head. I seened 'em.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sanders vision was average @ best?

laughingsmiley.gif laughingsmiley.gif laughingsmiley.gif laughingsmiley.gif laughingsmiley.gif laughingsmiley.gif laughingsmiley.gif laughingsmiley.gif

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I say otherwise? I was laughing @ the comment that Barry's vision was average @ best.

for every amazing electric run that barry had, he had about 5-10 where he was quickly grabbed by an outside linebacker or defensive tackle for little to no gain, and that wasn't ALL on the lions' offensive line; many times that was him running sideways into a tackle, cutting the wrong way etc. Lions O-line in the 90's may not have been THEE best in the business, but they weren't awful, either.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry was the best pure runner with the football in his hands, but it's funny he gets the nod here when the topic is complete back.