• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who here shoots a crossbow?

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Axiom is a great bow...

Your right to go with it over the TenPoint, if you are not getting the one with the AcuDraw...thats really the one I love...and so do most people, its like reeling in a spinner bait, without a fish on it, its that easy to crank..

Hey, good luck and remember keep those fingers below the guard and when loading a bolt grab the end where the fieldpoint/broad head is to load it so your other fingers never cross the strings threashold...We have had a finger nail ripped off and a tip of a finger taken off...

They are the most dangerous of all the weapons when loading and unloading...so be safe so you can have fun.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the-walking-dead.jpg

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update. The mother in law is getting me the Axiom since she doesn't know what else to buy me. So the wife is still on the hook for getting me something. I am recommending a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22.

FWIW, I am going out tomorrow morning to buy a Marlin 60 SN for my boy tomorrow. Let the plinking begin, assuming the .22 bullets are available.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the pic Dougie just put up is the EXACT way not to shoot a crossbow...the thumb tip would get taken off...

You can tell is a cheap prop cross bow by the serving just before the cams, lol...FYI...looks like actual piece of string....not real strings and cables...lol

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the pic Dougie just put up is the EXACT way not to shoot a crossbow...the thumb tip would get taken off...

You can tell is a cheap prop cross bow by the serving just before the cams, lol...FYI...looks like actual piece of string....not real strings and cables...lol

LOL, just noticed. You can tell at the cams that it's just a tied piece of string.

A rare Daryl fail.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Xguns are for lazy people who don't want to put the time in to practice and then wonder why when they take a 50 or 60 yd shot at a deer only to wound it and never find it. Some of the comparisons to compounds here are laughable, they don't hold water at all. Your shooting a bolt not an arrow which because of the shorter length doesn't retain much energy thus lacks in penetration then a typical arrow does. Also the dropoff of a xgun at longer distances as compared to a compound is astounding, if you misjudge a distance even by a mere 10yds that bold will hit the dirt like it was dropped off a table. The last thing that irks all hunters not just archers is how the introduction of the xgun in archery season has brought alot of the slob gun hunters into the woods who as a post above me alluded to you don't need to practice if your shooting a xgun, excuse me??? Really? Have you ever heard of muscle memory?? Regardless of how accurate your crutch ..eerr..I mean your xgun is you need to practice, build up your shoulder and back muscles and train your body (muscle memory) for hunting situations, shooting a target and an animal are totally different beasts and you owe it to the animals we hunt to practice and practice frequently as to make the best shot possible. Lastly, with the mass entry of slobs into the archery world by way of xguns the lack of ethical shots is insanity, its nothing to hear of guys who never hunted an archery season before in their life to be bragging about taking 60 or 70yd shots at game, hey it feels like a gun it must shoot like a gun, NO it doesn't! Wounding rates go up which just adds more fuel to the fire for Anti's to use against us. I know of one guy last year alone who wounded and did not recover a single buck out of 5 he wounded that archery season. If you wanna shoot and hunt with an xgun then thats your perogative but please respect the animals your gonna hunt enough to put the time and effort in to practice and use ethical judgement, don't just go flinging bolts all over the place, don't become one of the morons of the woods there are plenty of em out there already.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
although I completely agree with almost everything you said...being a bow hunter, I do not hunt deer with a crossbow, because I have time to practice with a bow.

1) it gets more people involved in deer hunting during the non rifle parts of the season

2) you must have not shot a crossbow, because no "muscle memory" like a bow is needed. If you have shot a rifle or shotgun enough, you can shoot a cross bow. You need to shoot it about 10 times and you will be dead on 8 times...now it is smart to shoot outside when the winds are crossing to see the movement but even at 40 to 60 yards with a 15 mph it will only move 3 to 5 inches...

3) the "wound rates" are proportionally higher with traditional bows and compounds because you have to actually practice and many don't also bow hunters take 40+ yrd shots that they have not practiced enough for thus actually are less accurate.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey man, the props are never real. They don't want Daryl shooting a real person acting like a zombie. I saw the tomahawk prop used by Mel Gibson in "The Patriot". It was a rubber dummy.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey man, the props are never real. They don't want Daryl shooting a real person acting like a zombie. I saw the tomahawk prop used by Mel Gibson in "The Patriot". It was a rubber dummy.

Hey no offense, just a habit to notice issues on them since I fix them...it actually was a great pic to post with the thumb.

I looked right at the "tied" serving 2nd...it was funny...actually loved the picture.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great thread....thanks. I came here looking for crossbow questions and they were answered. Going to be looking at the 10 Point. Thanks for your input, da55bums!

I like going on with my rifle, but with rifle season being so short sometimes certain things come up if you can't make it out. So it's nice to get into archery season because it is so much more significantly longer.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great thread....thanks. I came here looking for crossbow questions and they were answered. Going to be looking at the 10 Point. Thanks for your input, da55bums!

I like going on with my rifle, but with rifle season being so short sometimes certain things come up if you can't make it out. So it's nice to get into archery season because it is so much more significantly longer.

your welcome, hope it helps.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Xguns are for lazy people who don't want to put the time in to practice and then wonder why when they take a 50 or 60 yd shot at a deer only to wound it and never find it. Some of the comparisons to compounds here are laughable, they don't hold water at all. Your shooting a bolt not an arrow which because of the shorter length doesn't retain much energy thus lacks in penetration then a typical arrow does. Also the dropoff of a xgun at longer distances as compared to a compound is astounding, if you misjudge a distance even by a mere 10yds that bold will hit the dirt like it was dropped off a table. The last thing that irks all hunters not just archers is how the introduction of the xgun in archery season has brought alot of the slob gun hunters into the woods who as a post above me alluded to you don't need to practice if your shooting a xgun, excuse me??? Really? Have you ever heard of muscle memory?? Regardless of how accurate your crutch ..eerr..I mean your xgun is you need to practice, build up your shoulder and back muscles and train your body (muscle memory) for hunting situations, shooting a target and an animal are totally different beasts and you owe it to the animals we hunt to practice and practice frequently as to make the best shot possible. Lastly, with the mass entry of slobs into the archery world by way of xguns the lack of ethical shots is insanity, its nothing to hear of guys who never hunted an archery season before in their life to be bragging about taking 60 or 70yd shots at game, hey it feels like a gun it must shoot like a gun, NO it doesn't! Wounding rates go up which just adds more fuel to the fire for Anti's to use against us. I know of one guy last year alone who wounded and did not recover a single buck out of 5 he wounded that archery season. If you wanna shoot and hunt with an xgun then thats your perogative but please respect the animals your gonna hunt enough to put the time and effort in to practice and use ethical judgement, don't just go flinging bolts all over the place, don't become one of the morons of the woods there are plenty of em out there already.

So you are saying that you are against them?

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks again for this thread.....looking at selling away one of my firearms (Stag AR15 with all the bells and whistles) and getting a Ten Point Turbo XLT or the Shadow Ultra-lite.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I got the Ten Point Turbo XLT II picked out, but is there really that big of difference with the Acudraw? I saw the price difference and wasn't sure if it was worth it.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, in the long run.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is done....and boom goes the dynamite.

2530111.jpg

Now just need to figure out what kind of broad head to look at. Have you guy's seen some of these things, they just look straight up vicious!

toxicbroad6pkg-2.jpg

10286919.jpg

chisel3.jpg

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great choice, you will thank me every year til your about 90 yr old and using it.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great choice, you will thank me every year til your about 90 yr old and using it.

What kind of boardhead do you recommend? I have been checking out some ratings, but I am just curious.

BTW, thanks again. This is aWESOME!!!