• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which Superbowl narrative are you rooting for?

Which Superbowl narrative are you rooting for?

• Panthers blow out the Broncos

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Peyton wins it for the Broncos

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • Cam out duels Peyton in a close game

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Broncos defense carry the team to victory

Votes: 12 18.5%

• Total voters

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the QBs were not. Dilfer was the 16th rated passer, Wilson the 7th. And that doesn't even factor the impact that he brought on the ground, where Dilfer brought none at all.

Yes they were.

They both guided one of the least productive passing attacks in the league those years and won with the best defense in the league and top 5 running games.

I've laid the numbers out. Relative to the rest of the league in the years they played, they were nearly identical offensively both in the pass game, the run game, and in turnovers %.

Again here are the numbers:
Passing yards: 22nd vs 26th
Rushing yards: 5th vs 4th
Points scored: 14th vs 9th
Turnovers: 10th vs 6th

You aren't going to find two SB winners that are this similar to each other.

And when both QB's got to the playoffs, they actually did LESS than what they did in the regular season and just made sure not to turn the ball over while their defenses and run games won the games for them.

There is nothing wrong with saying Wilson "Dilfered" his way to a ring because that is exactly what he did. He still gets to keep his ring and Seattle gets to keep the trophy. And it in no way says anything about what Wilson is NOW as a QB....just what he was his 2nd year in the league. And if that hurts too much for some reason, it is really just the offense Seattle ran that year. Maybe Wilson could have looked like Joe Montana if Seattle had opened up the passing game that year. But we will never know because that isn't how it happened. They played ultra conservative football that year that turned out to mirror extremely closely the production that the 2000 Raven had.

Eugene Baker III

"Oh a stitch in time, just about saved me..."
Hoopla Cash
$ 946.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton, seeing EVERYBODY covered, runs for 195 yards and three touchdowns.

Panthers 41

Broncos 24

Peyton Manning experiences tingling in his limbs.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they were.

They both guided one of the least productive passing attacks in the league those years and won with the best defense in the league and top 5 running games.

I've laid the numbers out. Relative to the rest of the league in the years they played, they were nearly identical offensively both in the pass game, the run game, and in turnovers %.

Again here are the numbers:
Passing yards: 22nd vs 26th
Rushing yards: 5th vs 4th
Points scored: 14th vs 9th
Turnovers: 10th vs 6th

You aren't going to find two SB winners that are this similar to each other.

And when both QB's got to the playoffs, they actually did LESS than what they did in the regular season and just made sure not to turn the ball over while their defenses and run games won the games for them.

There is nothing wrong with saying Wilson "Dilfered" his way to a ring because that is exactly what he did. He still gets to keep his ring and Seattle gets to keep the trophy. And it in no way says anything about what Wilson is NOW as a QB....just what he was his 2nd year in the league. And if that hurts too much for some reason, it is really just the offense Seattle ran that year. Maybe Wilson could have looked like Joe Montana if Seattle had opened up the passing game that year. But we will never know because that isn't how it happened. They played ultra conservative football that year that turned out to mirror extremely closely the production that the 2000 Raven had.

Again, you're just glossing over effeciency and rushing production as if they don't matter when comparing the two individual performances.

And I don't see how full season stats are relevant for Baltimore that year when dilfer didn't play the full year. I already pointed out that Banks had significantly less turnovers than dilfer, negating that #10 ranking.

Also, the read option is not a scheme that just allows for the running back to take over. It involves direct influence from the QB even after the RB has the ball. It requires reads and manipulation from the QB in order to be effective. It's not the same as just turning and giving the RB the ball like Dilfer did.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Dilfer v Wilson is the Superbowl scenario that most fans want to see this year. Got it.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be the year The NFL pushes for Cam (and the young guard) to Vanquish Peyton (and the old guard). It could also be the Peyton "fairwell to his greatness" tour.

We will know more as the weekend approaches and we will be able to tell by what ends up being touted in the previews.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growing up in rural Tennessee made me loathe Peyton Manning. I am a Gator fan and he never beat the Gators but all my friends fawned over him. Understandably so he was a monster and is one of the greatest signal callers to ever lace them up. However I cant stomach a Denver win because they will gush how Peyton led them to another SB. He didnt even lead the Colts as it was the defense that gave him his only ring as it is so I cant take that again. Give me Carolina...but only because I dont want to live through that nonsense again.

I respect the hell out of Peyton for his career but I cant take the Tennessee fan boys from my childhood coming out of hibernation to prop him up again.
Therapy. There's no shame in it. You need it. Resolve your past and live your life more fully.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lord, hear my prayer. Let this forthcoming super bowl game be competitive. Let the lead change back and forth. Let there be an absence of unsportsmanlike conduct and shameless self-aggrandizement. Let the outcome be determined by extraordinary efforts and not egregious errors. Let the game end with the outcome determined by the final play. Let it be a great game, oh Lord.
Amen.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growing up in rural Tennessee made me loathe Peyton Manning. I am a Gator fan and he never beat the Gators but all my friends fawned over him. Understandably so he was a monster and is one of the greatest signal callers to ever lace them up. However I cant stomach a Denver win because they will gush how Peyton led them to another SB. He didnt even lead the Colts as it was the defense that gave him his only ring as it is so I cant take that again. Give me Carolina...but only because I dont want to live through that nonsense again.

I respect the hell out of Peyton for his career but I cant take the Tennessee fan boys from my childhood coming out of hibernation to prop him up again.

The defense for the most part yes went out and won some of those games. I don't think you can say the AFC Championship Game though where they came back from down what 15 or whatever that he had nothing to do with that win. This is why in the playoffs it takes extraordinary efforts from the entire team. Rarely has one individual really been a huge contributor to why the team won.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest Vegas odds vary from -4 to -5 Panthers. A few factors:

Cam:__35 TD, 10 Int, 3,837 yds, 60%, (rush 636, 4.8) Rating 99.4
Peyton:_9 TD, 17 Int, 2,249 yds, 60%, (rush -6) Rating 67.9 (Missed 6 games)

Each team has a good rush defense. Each team has about 1,000 sacks. Newton's running adds another dimension to the Panthers' already balanced attack.

Peyton, 39, must be On in this one. If he can't find Thomas and Sanders, they're done. Newton, 26, can solidify his arrival at the next level with a thumping of Denver.

I'm rooting for the Broncos. One more for the "old" man. Broncos might need a miracle here and there.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If someone actually believes a Trent Dilfer and Russell Wilson is an accurate comparison then they don't deserve a response

The numbers speak for themselves

Russell wasn't asked to do as much in 2013 but when he was called upon he made huge plays and did it very efficiently. Dilfer was a liability.

Regular Season

Wilson (2013) - 101.2 QB Rating, 26 tds, 9 ints, 3357 yds passing, 539 yds rushing, 63 % completion 8.25 avg

Dilfer (2000) - 76.6 QB Rating, 12 tds, 11 ints, 1502 yds passing, 59 % completion, 6.65 avg (in 11 games)

Prorated to 16 games - 17 tds, 16 ints, 2184 passing yds

Playoffs

Wilson

Divisional - 67.6 QB rating, 9-18 (50 %) 103 yds 0 tds 0 ints
NFC Championship - 104.6 QB Rating, 16-25 (64 %) 1 td 0 int
Superbowl - 123.1 QB Rating, 18-25 (72 %) 2 tds 0 int

Dilfer

Wild Card - 118.2 QB Rating 9-14 (64 %) 130 yds 1 td 0 int
Divisional - 58.6 QB Rating, 5-16 (31 %) 117 yds 0 td 0 int
AFC Championship - 83.1 QB Rating, 9-18 (50 %) 1 td 1 int
Superbowl - 80.9 QB Rating, 12-25 (48 %) 1 td 0 int

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense for the most part yes went out and won some of those games. I don't think you can say the AFC Championship Game though where they came back from down what 15 or whatever that he had nothing to do with that win. This is why in the playoffs it takes extraordinary efforts from the entire team. Rarely has one individual really been a huge contributor to why the team won.
Im not meaning to say that he had nothing to do with their SB run. Im just saying that the defense won that ring for him and he shouldnt won the MVP for the SB. With that said, I fully understand that they gave it to him for the body of work but it irks me. Hayden or Rhodes should have won it.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Therapy. There's no shame in it. You need it. Resolve your past and live your life more fully.
Dont twist this into me worrying about that ugly ass orange. I havent worried about that team in over a decade. You guys couldnt even beat us when we had Muschamp coaching...

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont twist this into me worrying about that ugly ass orange. I havent worried about that team in over a decade. You guys couldnt even beat us when we had Muschamp coaching...
May you suffer countless mildly injurious mishaps until you gain an expanded sense of humor.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tenn has a couple of champions Tee Martin and Pat Summitt come right to mind

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Peyton win the game. One of the all time greats going out on top never gets old.

"epic comeback starts right here..."

last thing I want to see is Peyton lose the game.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-5 has been the kiss of death for the last couple teams to have that line in the SB. I love the Broncos to not only cover but win outright.

Bruce Irvin is the poor man's Von Miller, and Irvin has had his best games against the Panthers. Miller 22/1 for MVP looks good to me.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May you suffer countless mildly injurious mishaps until you gain an expanded sense of humor.
Most of my ire is directed towards my childhood friends. Growing up there surrounded by all of the Vols fan was tough but I survived. I even attended one year there but I left for greener pastures. I did enjoy my time there with the exception of the game that year. Casey Clausen beat the Gators that year.