• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to do with all our WRs

eliandco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On first glance. GB might look like they are vulnerable at the WR position. AFter years of solid and stable WR play, we lose a couple of the inner circle. Driver the teacher. And Jennings the student. Now we dont have neither. Nobody is going to deny we still have tallent with Jordy, and Jones. IMO the cream of the whole crop. Big strong guys who can go and get it. Cobb is amazing. And seemed to be a veteran as a rookie. Now that he is settled in, he will be a dangerous weapon, and will benifit greatly by having Jones/Jordy pulling the weight.........ehhh.....To the non-diehard Packer fan. You wont recognize anyone on the WR depth chart...A couple injuries and the Packers are screwed! Right?

WRONG!!! :bullshit:

Dont forget that Ted Thompson is a WR guru. Hasnt missed if you can remember Murphy the 2nd round WR we drafted the year before Jennings. Was showing great potential. Already had my attention. Then he gets a horrific clothesline on special teams that ended his career...shame. I would speculate he would have been very good also. Back to the point of Thompson being the greatest at picking WRs...Borel and Gurley out of nothing. They didnt even make the cut and Boykin steals the spot. Boykin is a great young WR. His thunder was stolen a bit by another diamond in the rough, Ross. 6' 215 with great quickness. Boykin 6'2 218, with great quickness. I would hate to see either one of them go. But we have two rookies. Johnson is 6'2" 215 and ran a 4.38. 40 inch verticle.31 TDs his last 2 years(small school) A legit prospect IMO. And Dorsey whi is 6'1" 207. Looks solid from what i read. Then we have 5 undrafted rookie WRs!!! Cunningham 5'11" 192 had 23.5 yd average on 66 kick returns! Gillete 6'2"214 Qb turned WR. Sinkfield 6' 200. walker 5'10" 191 all time school leader in receptions, yds, tds, and 100yd recieving games. sleeper? and white, 6' 181.

thats 9 fighting for 3(?) spots. With Boykin, Ross, johnson being front runners in my guess... kick returners are needed though. Anyways. what the hell are we going to do with all of them. and any guesses who we will keep. any chance we keep 7?

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are Borel and Gurley now? Nowhere.

I think you're over-analyzing things here. We always stuff at least 2 WR's on the taxi squad so I'd assume, at this point at least, that Sinkfield and Dorsey would be those two guys at the moment.

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see them cutting Boykin and I think he'll at least start out as the #4. We have seen literally nothing from any of the other guys and odds are most or all of them are easily replaceable. My guess is Johnson makes the 5th and Ross the 6th as a special teamer if they do decide to keep 6. Otherwise they'll probably keep 2 for the practice squad and the rest will bounce around on other practice squads for a couple years then be out of the league without leaving a mark.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nelson and Jones can be patient, Cobb's versatility and a renewed ground attack will get them space. We know Rodgers can hit a gnat from 50 yards away with a 7 foot fence in his face so...we're good. But Cobb is the key.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

1-2-3...we're right up there with any group of 3 receivers in the league. After that, it gets fuzzy. Based on limited action, I think Boykin has the inside track on the #4 spot. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he got cut, actually that goes for any of the other receivers on the roster.

Ross needs to show he can play receiver, first and foremost. With the way we use receivers, he's not making this roster solely to be a return man. Fact is, nobody's seen him catch a pass before, unless you watched Colt's training camp in 2012. I also think we only keep 5 receivers this year...not 6 or 7 as has been suggested at times. Cobb, Nelson, and Jones are locks. After that, it's a total guess. Without having seen anyone play yet, I'd have to say that Boykin and Johnson would probably be 4 and 5.

A key here may be if someone like Franklin (for example) can return kickoffs or punts. Someone who will also contribute on offense or defense. If so, there's no way Ross makes the team strictly as a return man. If Ross is the only guy that can handle it, there's a better chance.

Jedster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

1-2-3...we're right up there with any group of 3 receivers in the league. After that, it gets fuzzy. Based on limited action, I think Boykin has the inside track on the #4 spot. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he got cut, actually that goes for any of the other receivers on the roster.

Ross needs to show he can play receiver, first and foremost. With the way we use receivers, he's not making this roster solely to be a return man. Fact is, nobody's seen him catch a pass before, unless you watched Colt's training camp in 2012. I also think we only keep 5 receivers this year...not 6 or 7 as has been suggested at times. Cobb, Nelson, and Jones are locks. After that, it's a total guess. Without having seen anyone play yet, I'd have to say that Boykin and Johnson would probably be 4 and 5.

A key here may be if someone like Franklin (for example) can return kickoffs or punts. Someone who will also contribute on offense or defense. If so, there's no way Ross makes the team strictly as a return man. If Ross is the only guy that can handle it, there's a better chance.
I agree, we keep 5, and I think it will be Ross and Boykin.....I think Boykin will be the 4th, and Ross, if he keeps his head on straight, will be the 5th/Returner......

eliandco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
boykin and Ross are worthy of roster spots. They just need opportunity. The 7 rookies..... We are sure to find a couple real good ones (knowing Thompsons track record).

Good point on Gurley and Borel barely still in the league after leaving GB... but they are still in:)

eliandco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We kept 5 WRs because we had 5 established DURABLE play makers. We lose Driver and Jennings the two senior of the whole group. Driver a Hall of Famer and Jennings a pro-bowler in his prime... And you expect Thompson to replace them with Boykin and unproven Johnson, or even Ross, (all I like) respectively? I doubt it. Thompson likes his WRs. Rodgers needs his weapons. And I think they will find safety in numbers this year. At least 6. And at least 4 RBs too IMO.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driver is not a NFL HOF, only a Green Bay Packers HOF. I hope you were not implying he will be in Canton as he has no change to make it there.

Packers still have 3 very good WRs and Cobb should develop some more this year as 3rd year WR. Have many young WRs that can potentially develop, I am not worried about the WRs unless have injury issues again.

eliandco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check and see if the top QBs brought their top WRs with them to Canton? And GBs all time catch and yards leader... Driver is in. Might take a while, but he is in.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driver has no chance for NFL HOF.

Here are some facts for you...
- Only 22 NFL WRs playing after 1950 in HOF
- Only 5 WRs that played at all during 1990's decade in HOF (Rice, Monk, Lofton, Irvin, C. Carter)
- Only 8 WRs that played at all during 1980's decade in HOF - the 5 above and Largent, Stallworth and Swann
- Driver is 38th on all time yardage list...
- Players > 1000 yards ahead of Driver not in HOF - A. Reed, Jimmy Smith, Fryar, Rod Smith, McCardell

Lets be optimistic and say 10 players that played within last 10 years at any time make it to NFL HOF... that is very optimistic looking at 80s/90s.

Who are the 10?
- Probables> Moss, Owens, Fitzgerald, Megatron
- Potential> Bruce, Holt, Wayne, A. Johnson
- Chance > Harrison, S. Smith, Roddy White

that is already 11... that does not even include several others that have more receiving yards than Driver.
- Ward, Mason, Muhammed, McCardell, Ochocinco, Galloway, Keyshaun, Boldin... that is 8 already with more yards than Driver.

That does not even include some younger that could improve stats substantially in next years.. Julio Jones, Marchall, Wallace, Jennings if continue.

So who are your 10 that are in and why does Driver knock them out?

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be very tough for Driver to make the HOF. Packers HOF absolutely but I doubt the HOF.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driver has no chance for NFL HOF.

Here are some facts for you...
- Only 22 NFL WRs playing after 1950 in HOF
- Only 5 WRs that played at all during 1990's decade in HOF (Rice, Monk, Lofton, Irvin, C. Carter)
- Only 8 WRs that played at all during 1980's decade in HOF - the 5 above and Largent, Stallworth and Swann
- Driver is 38th on all time yardage list...
- Players > 1000 yards ahead of Driver not in HOF - A. Reed, Jimmy Smith, Fryar, Rod Smith, McCardell

Lets be optimistic and say 10 players that played within last 10 years at any time make it to NFL HOF... that is very optimistic looking at 80s/90s.

Who are the 10?
- Probables> Moss, Owens, Fitzgerald, Megatron
- Potential> Bruce, Holt, Wayne, A. Johnson
- Chance > Harrison, S. Smith, Roddy White

that is already 11... that does not even include several others that have more receiving yards than Driver.
- Ward, Mason, Muhammed, McCardell, Ochocinco, Galloway, Keyshaun, Boldin... that is 8 already with more yards than Driver.

That does not even include some younger that could improve stats substantially in next years.. Julio Jones, Marchall, Wallace, Jennings if continue.

So who are your 10 that are in and why does Driver knock them out?

This is about as well as you can make that case. Well done.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We kept 5 WRs because we had 5 established DURABLE play makers. We lose Driver and Jennings the two senior of the whole group. Driver a Hall of Famer and Jennings a pro-bowler in his prime... And you expect Thompson to replace them with Boykin and unproven Johnson, or even Ross, (all I like) respectively? I doubt it. Thompson likes his WRs. Rodgers needs his weapons. And I think they will find safety in numbers this year. At least 6. And at least 4 RBs too IMO.

1) Driver doesn't make the all of fame. No way. Keep dreaming.

2) If he's not replacing Driver (who barely saw the field a year ago, I might add) and Jennings (who was heathy what, half the year, maybe?) with Boykin, Johnson, or Ross, who is he going to replace them with, since you doubt it will be them?

I would be SHOCKED if we carry 6 receivers, and even more shocked if we carried 6 receivers AND 4 running backs.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys make great points.

What's the over/under on games before someone (you know who) cries about not getting targets?

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be SHOCKED if we carry 6 receivers, and even more shocked if we carried 6 receivers AND 4 running backs.

I don't think it would be that shocking. They kept 6wr/4rb last year and even had 7wr on the roster by the end of the year (though mostly because of injuries). I could easily see them keeping 6 of the WR and Lacy,Franklin,Green,Harris at RB.

Jedster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Driver makes it to the HOF either (nice to think so though), he will be a Packer HOFer, but that's about it. Lots of WRs ahead of him....I do like Driver a lot, and he has done a ton for the Packers, but I just don't see it happening.

MajorPackersFan

Boycott CBS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys make great points.

What's the over/under on games before someone (you know who) cries about not getting targets?

I'm assuming you are talking about Finley. If you didn't notice, he was actually rather mature by the end of last season. Whether it's because he finally has matured, or because he's going to be playing for a new contract, I honestly don't think we will hear a peep out of him this year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Driver makes it to the HOF either (nice to think so though), he will be a Packer HOFer, but that's about it. Lots of WRs ahead of him....I do like Driver a lot, and he has done a ton for the Packers, but I just don't see it happening.

I love Driver as well, great professional football player and always represented Packers well on and off the field. Last training camp I went back to in 2010 I got some great pictures of him.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we keep 5 WR (6 if Charles Johnson can play well in TC and Pre Season)
Cobb, Jordy, Jones, Boykin, Ross than Charles Johnson (risky to put him on PS) is the 6th potential maybe guy.

Not as concerned about guys complaining about targets. This is a very mature group, Finley is a concern but I think his biggest concern right now is his own performance and proving his doubters wrong.