• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to do with all our WRs

ahmangreen34

ahmangreen34
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good evening all of you wise Packer gentlemen. I agree with all of your posts about our receivers, but I still want to see what goes on with this player we picked up from another small college like our old beloved Driver came from. I want to see what Cunningham does and can bring to the table. It doesn't seem like there has been a lot mentioned about him on here or even by the Packers after we picked him up. It was to my understanding he has the playing capabilities like Cobb has. I really like what I have read and heard about him as well. I hope he is another player that can bring something to the Packers and wear the Green and Gold. SMILE GO PACK GO

eliandco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driver has no chance for NFL HOF.

Here are some facts for you...
- Only 22 NFL WRs playing after 1950 in HOF
- Only 5 WRs that played at all during 1990's decade in HOF (Rice, Monk, Lofton, Irvin, C. Carter)
- Only 8 WRs that played at all during 1980's decade in HOF - the 5 above and Largent, Stallworth and Swann
- Driver is 38th on all time yardage list...
- Players > 1000 yards ahead of Driver not in HOF - A. Reed, Jimmy Smith, Fryar, Rod Smith, McCardell

Lets be optimistic and say 10 players that played within last 10 years at any time make it to NFL HOF... that is very optimistic looking at 80s/90s.

Who are the 10?
- Probables> Moss, Owens, Fitzgerald, Megatron
- Potential> Bruce, Holt, Wayne, A. Johnson
- Chance > Harrison, S. Smith, Roddy White

that is already 11... that does not even include several others that have more receiving yards than Driver.
- Ward, Mason, Muhammed, McCardell, Ochocinco, Galloway, Keyshaun, Boldin... that is 8 already with more yards than Driver.

That does not even include some younger that could improve stats substantially in next years.. Julio Jones, Marchall, Wallace, Jennings if continue.

So who are your 10 that are in and why does Driver knock them out?

Good points. But you mentioned a bunch of hall of fame caliber WRs that DIDNT have Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers throwing to him. And half that list was also diva's. Where as Driver was a class act, a team player, HUMBLE with a Hall of Fame smile.That aside. You reference the 80's and 90's as to how many WRs will enter the HOF this decade... If you havnt noticed the league has changed. Passing is the new game. and the WRs entering the HOF will reflect. I got to check. I could've sworn Marinos Wrs were in there...

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. But you mentioned a bunch of hall of fame caliber WRs that DIDNT have Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers throwing to him. And half that list was also diva's. Where as Driver was a class act, a team player, HUMBLE with a Hall of Fame smile.That aside. You reference the 80's and 90's as to how many WRs will enter the HOF this decade... If you havnt noticed the league has changed. Passing is the new game. and the WRs entering the HOF will reflect. I got to check. I could've sworn Marinos Wrs were in there...

Marino, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon do not have WR teammates in HOF... John Elway does not either, he only has a TE. Brett Favre will not have one either when it is his turn... Sterling would have if played longer.

Yes league is more of a passing league... but started more recently, if anything hurts Driver chances as more WRs will pass his yardage mark as it is more open now than early in Drivers career. There are already 15+ WRs not in HOF with better stats and several more will pass him upcoming.

They are not putting in more than 10 WRs from Drivers timeframe.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming you are talking about Finley. If you didn't notice, he was actually rather mature by the end of last season. Whether it's because he finally has matured, or because he's going to be playing for a new contract, I honestly don't think we will hear a peep out of him this year.

I hope he can just focus and play. He has major talent. Saw Rodgers and Flynn ambush him at camp one day. Both threw to him, tough placements, snd he one handed both. He never seems to have that concentrstion in games.

Finley from before the injury would make this team sicker than sick.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald won't make the hall as a player. I think he was good enough though. He got buried on the sidelines for Mike Sherman's personal favorites. But he hung in there and proved his worth.

eliandco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's adds to Drivers legacy. To go from a long shot 7th round pick. 5th on the depth chart. WORKED through the ranks for years until he was #1 receiver... and stayed relivant long enough to become the Packer franchises all time reception and yardage leader...

Also Jim Kelly's WR Andre Reed, and Elways receiver Rod Smith are Canton bound. soon enough IMO. Driver is in their group IMO...

Everyone is talking about the 1000 yds more, a few recievers have more than driver... But they don't mention how Driver stepped back and let the young guys take over WITHOUT complaining... Don't think he couldn't have cock blocked them in practice. Bitch balled them with the coaches. And held his spot a while longer. And he could be playing right now IMO. But he took retirement like a man and turned in his helmet... Rod Smith played til his knees were gone, and Reed came in as a high pick I believe. Was their #1 guy right away pretty much.

Point is the stats earned him a consideration, and a possible invite to Canton. But the professionalism seals the deal IMO. A true class act. and his story from the hood to the Hall is what the Hall is all about. Not being 1st overall pick. But being a professional and being consistant a long time at a high lever...

I cant believe im alone on this?

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin Harrison should be canton bound, there's no reason why he shouldn't be TBH.

If we do keep 6 WR's and 4 RB's, it'll be at the cost of a TE. I could see us cutting Ryan Taylor and possibly trading DJ Williams to NE but I still think we keep at least 4 TE's. We're definitely going to have to draft another this year. DJ Williams is not the player we had hoped for and Mulligan is nothing more than a stop-gap for losing Crabtree; then you're looking at Finley and you can't bank on him being your #1 TE. He's too inconsistent.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's adds to Drivers legacy. To go from a long shot 7th round pick. 5th on the depth chart. WORKED through the ranks for years until he was #1 receiver... and stayed relivant long enough to become the Packer franchises all time reception and yardage leader...

Also Jim Kelly's WR Andre Reed, and Elways receiver Rod Smith are Canton bound. soon enough IMO. Driver is in their group IMO...

Everyone is talking about the 1000 yds more, a few recievers have more than driver... But they don't mention how Driver stepped back and let the young guys take over WITHOUT complaining... Don't think he couldn't have cock blocked them in practice. Bitch balled them with the coaches. And held his spot a while longer. And he could be playing right now IMO. But he took retirement like a man and turned in his helmet... Rod Smith played til his knees were gone, and Reed came in as a high pick I believe. Was their #1 guy right away pretty much.

Point is the stats earned him a consideration, and a possible invite to Canton. But the professionalism seals the deal IMO. A true class act. and his story from the hood to the Hall is what the Hall is all about. Not being 1st overall pick. But being a professional and being consistant a long time at a high lever...

Among Packers fans, you are probably in larger company... maybe 20-25% of fans. Among non Packers fans... probably less than 5%.

It is not easy getting in...

Only 5 modern candidates can enter a year... so if 10 WRs enter HOF in decade, that is 20% of all entries... that was my "optimistic" statement... but there will not even be 10 even if game is changing. The number will still be between 5 to 8 WRs.

So you really need to stand out vs your peers at your position.

Here is a good link looking at future classes for HOF.
Pro Football Hall of Fame Future Classes : nfl

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're not alone in believing that he belongs there. Nobody deserves it more in my opinion. It'll come down to stats. But Packer fans will never forget that TD against SF when we couldn't lose anymore, or the first down that fired up the Super Bowl Pack, or the sick plays he made for his boy on Monday Night in Oakland.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Driver as much as the next guy, but there is no way no how he gets in the HOF. Just take a look at the list of guys with similar or better numbers that have been waiting for their invite. Sorry, not happening.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driver is 100% never, ever going into the NFL Hall. At no point was he a top 3 receiver in the league, and as Lofton says, there are other more decorated WRs in the wings. Packer HoF, legendary team player, etc., but not NFL.

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin Harrison should be canton bound, there's no reason why he shouldn't be TBH.

If we do keep 6 WR's and 4 RB's, it'll be at the cost of a TE. I could see us cutting Ryan Taylor and possibly trading DJ Williams to NE but I still think we keep at least 4 TE's. We're definitely going to have to draft another this year. DJ Williams is not the player we had hoped for and Mulligan is nothing more than a stop-gap for losing Crabtree; then you're looking at Finley and you can't bank on him being your #1 TE. He's too inconsistent.

Here's Mr. Trade Ideas (that will never happen) dealing Williams to NE now - if he were good enough to gain draft picks from the Patriots, he'd be too good to let go. He isn't. He'll have minimal impact on our team, and no other team would trade picks for him, period.

The only good TE on the team right now is Finley, who puts up top 10 stats every year consistently. Despite the fact that many fans hate his personality, Finley is a good tight end who is critical to our offense until the time we have someone better, and that better TE is not on the roster at this point.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Driver as much as the next guy, but there is no way no how he gets in the HOF. Just take a look at the list of guys with similar or better numbers that have been waiting for their invite. Sorry, not happening.

Driver is 100% never, ever going into the NFL Hall. At no point was he a top 3 receiver in the league, and as Lofton says, there are other more decorated WRs in the wings. Packer HoF, legendary team player, etc., but not NFL.

Sad but true. I hope he picks up the tradition of sticking around and being involved in the organization, like Butler and Bennett.

Here's Mr. Trade Ideas (that will never happen) dealing Williams to NE now - if he were good enough to gain draft picks from the Patriots, he'd be too good to let go. He isn't. He'll have minimal impact on our team, and no other team would trade picks for him, period.

The only good TE on the team right now is Finley, who puts up top 10 stats every year consistently. Despite the fact that many fans hate his personality, Finley is a good tight end who is critical to our offense until the time we have someone better, and that better TE is not on the roster at this point.

I like DJ Williams, but he does pretty much disappear. He can't block from the line. I thought they might keep moving him into a FB role for whenever Kuhn retires, but I don't think he really picked that up either.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not that I didn't like Crabtree...I was a big fan of his...but let's not act like he was such a superior player that a guy like Mulligan couldn't do the same thing for us that Crabtree did. They're about the same age (Mulligan is 10 months older) and have very similar skill sets. The stats are pretty similar too, with the excpetion of TD's. And lets be honest...I could have scored the three TD's Crabtree did last year.

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here's my deal with Mulligan. I did some research and like Crabtree, his stats didn't pop out, but I talked to a few of my friends who are Jet fans and they REALLY hated him when he was a Jet. He just seemed to make a lot of boneheaded plays so that's why I'm a bit sour on him. Obviously you want him to do well, I just think we can do better.

On a separate note. LOVE the avatar.:suds:

Blaise Winter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I didn't like Crabtree...I was a big fan of his...but let's not act like he was such a superior player that a guy like Mulligan couldn't do the same thing for us that Crabtree did. They're about the same age (Mulligan is 10 months older) and have very similar skill sets. The stats are pretty similar too, with the excpetion of TD's. And lets be honest...I could have scored the three TD's Crabtree did last year.

There are dozens of Crabtrees throughout the NFL, which is why they constantly move from team-to-team. People like cyorgan who said last year that Crabtree should start and Finley should be cut are so hilarious. There's nothing special about Tom Crabtree, so I'm sure this guy will be fine, and like you said - literally any able-bodied male could have caught most of his touchdowns.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here's my deal with Mulligan. I did some research and like Crabtree, his stats didn't pop out, but I talked to a few of my friends who are Jet fans and they REALLY hated him when he was a Jet. He just seemed to make a lot of boneheaded plays so that's why I'm a bit sour on him. Obviously you want him to do well, I just think we can do better.

On a separate note. LOVE the avatar.:suds:

Well I went with the Zappa stache on the other board, so I thought, "New board, new rock star."

PF4L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st of all, Driver was phased out of the offense the last 3 years. To the point where he was a non factor. Jennings missed too much time anyway...Lastly....Most teams would love to have Nelson, J J, Cobb, and Finley catching passes for their team....The Packers have some real concerns....but wide receivers aren't among them.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st of all, Driver was phased out of the offense the last 3 years. To the point where he was a non factor. Jennings missed too much time anyway...Lastly....Most teams would love to have Nelson, J J, Cobb, and Finley catching passes for their team....The Packers have some real concerns....but wide receivers aren't among them.

Yea. Fair point. I'd say something else but...you pretty much covered it.

cd4packers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey PF4L...yep..looks like i do have an account here.