• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What the bleep do we do with Julius Randle?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Lakers core of youngsters is the youngest in the league and they are something like 18-6 over their last 24 games.

Assuming they don't land max FA's and the young core keeps improving, they are easily right there with all of those teams.

Clearly, they would have to sign some quality FA's on 1 year deals like they did with Lopez and KCP. But they've already shown they can do that. They may be able to bring back IT on another 1 year deal too. I don't think the demand for him is going to be that high this off-season. I think teams will want to see that his hip is okay.

They could win 35-36 games this season, stay the course and re-sign Randle and a few B veterans and naturally improve enough to win 42-43 next season and try for the FA's in the summer of 2019 with a promising core.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randle isn't some veteran willing to take less......he's about to hit his prime and want big dollars. Or he should fire his agent.

Don't forget his injury history.

Athletes who have suffered major injury aren't sacrificing on their first, and what could be their only big payday.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how old are Ingram, Lonzo and Kuzma?

They are younger, but that's asking a lot to jump from 11th in the conference to 8th when the teams ahead of them aren't getting worse.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Lakers core of youngsters is the youngest in the league and they are something like 18-6 over their last 24 games.

Assuming they don't land max FA's and the young core keeps improving, they are easily right there with all of those teams.

Clearly, they would have to sign some quality FA's on 1 year deals like they did with Lopez and KCP. But they've already shown they can do that. They may be able to bring back IT on another 1 year deal too. I don't think the demand for him is going to be that high this off-season. I think teams will want to see that his hip is okay.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget his injury history.

Athletes who have suffered major injury aren't sacrificing on their first, and what could be their only big payday.

He's only had 1 injury.

Played in

1 game
61 games

in his time in the League.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could win 35-36 games this season, stay the course and re-sign Randle and a few B veterans and naturally improve enough to win 42-43 next season and try for the FA's in the summer of 2019 with a promising core.

It may take this for an all star veteran or 2 to come to the Lakers.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chilling at my dad's with Checkers and watching college basketball......going to my brother in law's dinner party later.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me as one of the people that previously said that I like him, but also that the price tag is too high to pay him that kind of money.
It now, LOOKS like he's starting to turn into the guy that us Laker fans thought he had the potential to be. We obviously have cap space, and the correct plan would be to keep preserving it for bigger names if it doesn't work this year. However, Julius Randle is starting to make this a much tougher choice than previously thought
I think the Lakers should keep him and pay him and consider him an equitable replacement of Clarkson with better value. With Randle - Ingram - Ball - Kuzma - Hart and possibly Zubac next year - the Lakers have their starting core - Patience and hard work will get them into the playoffs - One superstar - will put them into the top five teams and waiting for the second super start to sign or develop from one of the rising stars that we do have

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's only had 1 injury.

Played in

1 game
61 games

in his time in the League.

And his 1 injury cost him an entire season.

Besides, if he takes less money to team with LeBron and PG13, he won't produce nearly the same stat line and won't be worth as much next time he hits free agency.

You said it too, but it is unrealistic to expect Randle to take less than top dollar. He isn't a superstar. He may not get another chance at a huge payday.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Besides, if he takes less money to team with LeBron and PG13, he won't produce nearly the same stat line and won't be worth as much next time he hits free agency.

You said it too, but it is unrealistic to expect Randle to take less than top dollar. He isn't a superstar. He may not get another chance at a huge payday.

My point was he had 1 injury, it's not like he's been a frequently injured player. He's been healthy for the most part since that injury.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chilling at my dad's with Checkers and watching college basketball......going to my brother in law's dinner party later.
Have fun!

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you not buy any of them? The core of Portland's team is 28 and younger. Denver's 3 best players are 24 and younger, their 4th best player is only 27. NO is the only question mark only because of Cousins' health.

Yeah I'm not buying the Lakers as a 6-8 seed next year without the addition of a top FA next year and/or major injury to a top player on of those teams. It would require them to win close to 50 games which I don't see happening without signing a big name FA.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuzma, Ball and Ingram are pretty damn good pieces of the puzzle moving forward. The Lakers have a good track record when it comes to drafting outside the lottery as well, never know what could come out of the Cavs' pick. If the Lakers strike out in FA this year, even with Paul George then I would say pay Randle and just move on. I seriously doubt Kawhi is on the table like people assume in 2019.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all depends on what free agents the Lakers go after. I have said this all along, I don't want Lebron on the Lakers. Now I can get use to Westbrook and George. If we can find a way to keep Randle, then great.

my stance on LeClown is the same. no desire to see his shenanigans out here...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I've read and heard, that's pretty much the plan if they don't land anyone this off-season minus the Randle part.

Of course, while he's played well all season, he's really started attracting attention with his play over about the last 20+ games. He's not only making himself a lot of money, he's also making the Lakers decision a lot harder than it was just about a month ago.

He's got a unique skill set among PF's. He's not going to scare anybody with his 3-point shooting, so he's not going to be stretching the floor. But he defensively, he can guard 2-5, he's faster and quicker than most PF's as well as a better ball handler than most PF's and he can play "bully ball" which is a bit of a dying art in the NBA.

I'm glad I'm not Magic or Pelinka having to decide on what to do with him. lol

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it may be a bit of a catch-22 for him. If the Lakers land Lebron and PG and he takes less to stay and maybe win championships, he may never get another chance to make get the kind of money he's likely to be offered.

On the other hand, if goes for the money, he may never get a chance to win a championship again.

Tough choice.