• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What the bleep do we do with Julius Randle?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt it. He seems to like the drama/ring kissing that teams will do. He has dragged out his free agency as long as possible pretty much every season, no reason to think it'll be any different this time. At most he may eliminate a team or 2 before FA, but that's about it.

Teams that are in the running for Lebron will all get a chance to make a presentation and all of them are going to offer him the maximum amount of money allowed. So there really won't be any forcing anyone's hand. It'l likely come down to which team he feels offers him the best chance to win another title and allows him to carry a lighter load. He'll likely also consider the city itself and what it offers, but that will be secondary to the basketball aspect.

I need to rephrase my question, then.
When I said 'forcing their hand', I was referring to a Julius RFA offer occurring before LBJ decides.

Let's say LeBron takes the entire summer and makes his announcement late.

If Dallas makes an offer that Julius accepts at the beginning of FA, then doesn't that force the Lakers hand to make a decision? If they flat out know they aren't getting LeBron, do they consider matching? Or do they let him go regardless of what LBJ does?

I guess what I'm asking is if Julius is a back up contingency plan for not getting LBJ/PG.
Or would they not match regardless and then plan for 2019.
Is there any scenario where the Lakers would match? $12-15M per? What's the limit for 'maybe we should match' versus 'no way, let him go'???

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I said 'forcing their hand', I was referring to a Julius RFA offer occurring before LBJ decides.

Oh, okay. Yeah that's a little different then.

If Dallas makes an offer that Julius accepts at the beginning of FA, then doesn't that force the Lakers hand to make a decision? If they flat out know they aren't getting LeBron, do they consider matching? Or do they let him go regardless of what LBJ does?

@Meca posted something the other day that answered this as well (but I'm old and forget what it said. lol). Basically, the Lakers would have some time before they had to make a decision, so I don't think they'd have to decide right away, but I also don't think they could take all summer either.

As for what the Lakers decided to do, a lot will be determined by what he's offered. I don't see them matching say, a 4 year $80-90 million deal unless they have been able to clear the space to be able to still land 2 max FA's.

Some of it could be determined by what Lebron thinks of Randle as well. If Lebron likes him, the Lakers may be able to apply a little pressure by saying "Hey, we have X amount of time before we have to make a decision on this guy" to speed Lebron up a little.

Is there any scenario where the Lakers would match? $12-15M per? What's the limit for 'maybe we should match' versus 'no way, let him go'???

$12-15 million? I think they match that because if I recall correctly, they can fit him in at that amount and still have room for 2 max guys. Especially if they unload Deng. Problem is, I don't think his offers will be that low.

If nothing else, as someone else suggested, Cuban may offer him a big contract just to try to screw the Lakers. lol

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to rephrase my question, then.

I guess what I'm asking is if Julius is a back up contingency plan for not getting LBJ/PG.
Or would they not match regardless and then plan for 2019.

Oh, okay. Yeah that's a little different then.

@Meca posted something the other day that answered this as well (but I'm old and forget what it said. lol). Basically, the Lakers would have some time before they had to make a decision, so I don't think they'd have to decide right away, but I also don't think they could take all summer either.

As for what the Lakers decided to do, a lot will be determined by what he's offered. I don't see them matching say, a 4 year $80-90 million deal unless they have been able to clear the space to be able to still land 2 max FA's.

Some of it could be determined by what Lebron thinks of Randle as well. If Lebron likes him, the Lakers may be able to apply a little pressure by saying "Hey, we have X amount of time before we have to make a decision on this guy" to speed Lebron up a little.

$12-15 million? I think they match that because if I recall correctly, they can fit him in at that amount and still have room for 2 max guys. Especially if they unload Deng. Problem is, I don't think his offers will be that low.

If nothing else, as someone else suggested, Cuban may offer him a big contract just to try to screw the Lakers. lol
Here you go....

The earliest he can sign an offer sheet from another team is on July 1 but the two-day clock for the Lakers to decide Randle's fate doesn't start until July 6.

Not many teams will have cap room next summer, but if the Chicago Bulls, Indiana Pacers, New York Knicks, Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns, Sacramento Kings or Utah Jazz (among others) decide Randle is worth pursuing, the Lakers may face a difficult decision.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it wasn't a legit question. Whether I wanted them back or not wasn't part of the discussion and I had clearly stated that I don't think it would happen. Whether I want it to happen or not has literally nothing to do with it.

And your question didn't bring in the little tidbit about what "most Lakers fans would want" that's something you threw in after the fact to try to "win the internet."

But go ahead and play it like it was a legit question.

You really can be a huge dick sometimes. And for absolutely no reason. I asked you a question, you chose to answer with attitude because of assumptions you made about my motives. That is on you, not me.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really can be a huge dick sometimes. And for absolutely no reason. I asked you a question, you chose to answer with attitude because of assumptions you made about my motives. That is on you, not me.

Yeah didn't understand that response either. One thing you learn about this forum is that you can't have certain conversations with certain posters because it doesn't end well for whatever reason. I usually pick & choose who I respond to depending on the topic for that exact reason.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And you can cry like a little bitch when someone calls you out. It wasn't a legit question and you trying to change it after the fact doesn't change that. You didn't say anything about what other Lakers fans may or may not want.

You asked me something that had already been addressed in my post.

In short, if you don' like...don't respond to my posts. If you choose to, don't cry when you don't like the answer.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never seen you say anything like this before.

I'm actually fucking giggling right now....lol

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah didn't understand that response either. One thing you learn about this forum is that you can't have certain conversations with certain posters because it doesn't end well for whatever reason. I usually pick & choose who I respond to depending on the topic for that exact reason.
Fuck that.

I talk about every topic, with whomever is in this forum, sans the potato.

Conversations go off the rails often.

If I'm the one out of bounds, I apologize.

If it's not me and people are being overly sensitive, oh fucking well.

It's all about being respectful.

But, having fun , talking sports.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you can cry like a little bitch when someone calls you out. It wasn't a legit question and you trying to change it after the fact doesn't change that. You didn't say anything about what other Lakers fans may or may not want.

You asked me something that had already been addressed in my post.

In short, if you don' like...don't respond to my posts. If you choose to, don't cry when you don't like the answer.

LOL.

You must need a hug or something.

Literally just about everyone one here has taken shots at IT at some point in the last 6 months. Not a legit question. LOL. I asked you if you really wanted those guys. That is not an offensive question. You could have easily left out the last sentence, but chose to be a dick instead and then doubled down when I just pointed out that could have answered me without the snark. Sorry if I didn't make all the correct assumptions from your post that you wanted me too.

And yeah, when somebody is unessearily condescending toward me, I will call them on it. Accusing me of trying to "win the Internet" with that question is just ignorant. I am not one of those Laker haters looking to start a fight. And eventually, you have to sign somebody long term or you lose all the flexibility of having those guys (Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma) on the rookie deals.

But I am done here.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must need a hug or something.

You need to get laid. Or stoned.

Literally just about everyone one here has taken shots at IT at some point in the last 6 months. Not a legit question. LOL. I asked you if you really wanted those guys. That is not an offensive question. You could have easily left out the last sentence, but chose to be a dick instead and then doubled down when I just pointed out that could have answered me without the snark. Sorry if I didn't make all the correct assumptions from your post that you wanted me too.

Whether anyone has taken shots at IT or not, has nothing to do with you asking a question that wasn't legit. Funny how you always think it's the other guys fault.

And yeah, when somebody is unessearily condescending toward me, I will call them on it. Accusing me of trying to "win the Internet" with that question is just ignorant. I am not one of those Laker haters looking to start a fight. And eventually, you have to sign somebody long term or you lose all the flexibility of having those guys (Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma) on the rookie deals.

You asked a question that wasn't legit and made it look like you didn't read the post. You got an answer you didn't like and couldn't handle it. End of story.

This is an internet message board. People are going to be snarky, sarcastic, smartasses, make jokes and tease. It's not serious basketball discussion 24/7.

But I am done here.

About fucking time.