• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What the bleep do we do with Julius Randle?

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me as one of the people that previously said that I like him, but also that the price tag is too high to pay him that kind of money.
It now, LOOKS like he's starting to turn into the guy that us Laker fans thought he had the potential to be. We obviously have cap space, and the correct plan would be to keep preserving it for bigger names if it doesn't work this year. However, Julius Randle is starting to make this a much tougher choice than previously thought

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I'm an admitted Julius Randle fanboy and would love to see the Lakers find a way to keep him. He is definitely earning himself a nice raise from someone.

I don't know if it's something that can be done, but I'm hoping that he will be patient, collect his offers, let the Lakers sign a max guy or 2 and then go ahead and go over the cap to match his best offer.

Problem with that is...What if they don't land anyone?

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I'm an admitted Julius Randle fanboy and would love to see the Lakers find a way to keep him. He is definitely earning himself a nice raise from someone.

I don't know if it's something that can be done, but I'm hoping that he will be patient, collect his offers, let the Lakers sign a max guy or 2 and then go ahead and go over the cap to match his best offer.

Ehh, keep it rollin with Ingram, Zo, and Kuz I suppose. Either way, keeping him or not, I'm good with whatever they decide

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehh, keep it rollin with Ingram, Zo, and Kuz I suppose. Either way, keeping him or not, I'm good with whatever they decide

I definitely have confidence that whatever Magic and Pelinka do, it will be what's best for the Lakers.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Going to have to pay him 20 million at least.

Randle is a large part of the recent success the Lakers have had. I feel like they are kind of screwed either way they go here.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Randle is a large part of the recent success the Lakers have had. I feel like they are kind of screwed either way they go here.

dunno exactly how "screwed" we are, but i DO agree we should try to hang onto the guy...

lot's gonna hinge on who we attract, if anyone, this off-season...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dunno exactly how "screwed" we are, but i DO agree we should try to hang onto the guy...

lot's gonna hinge on who we attract, if anyone, this off-season...

Screwed in the way that the Wizards got screwed with Porter.

He is a very good player, but do you really want to pay him 25 million?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How? Worst case scenario they don't get two max players, keep Randle, keep developing and the way things are going, and probably make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed next year. Then make a run for a max player in 2019.

So how are they screwed?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How? Worst case scenario they don't get two max players, keep Randle, keep developing and the way things are going, and probably make the playoffs as a 6-8 seed next year. Then make a run for a max player in 2019.

So how are they screwed?

latest

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're 6 games out of the playoffs as they are right now. That includes a bad start, injuries and a 9 game losing streak.

Why is that so impossible?

Because there are 8 teams that are clearly better than them next year(assuming your scenario plays out).

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because there are 8 teams that are clearly better than them next year(assuming your scenario plays out).

And yet the Lakers have beaten all those teams this year. Despite injuries, the Lakers have the 5th best record in the NBA in 2018.

"Clearly better" :crazy:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet the Lakers have beaten all those teams this year. Despite injuries, the Lakers have the 5th best record in the NBA in 2018.

"Clearly better" :crazy:

GSW, HOU, MIN, SAS, POR, NO, and DEN are clearly better, if PG stays in OKC they are too. Maybe the Lakers will be the best team in LA next year?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GSW, HOU, MIN, SAS, POR, NO, and DEN are clearly better, if PG stays in OKC they are too. Maybe the Lakers will be the best team in LA next year?

GS, Houston, SA and Minnesota, yes. The rest is questionable. The Lakers have CRUSHED Denver and OKC.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's worth paying a max slot which is what he'll command. I don't think he's an all star. He's just a good starter level player. Tlance brought up Otto Porter, that's the kind of level you're talking here (Porter is more consistent imo, but you get the idea). I'm not tying up money for that. The market for that level of player is going to correct itself real soon (perhaps even this summer) and I don't want to be caught on the wrong end of it having him making like 23 million when his peer group is making say 16 mil the year after. He's going to be moved if they want 2 max slots this year anyway but I'd probably move him even you don't need those slots. Like try to execute a sign and trade to get back a pick and a couple of complimentary players.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So how are they screwed?

Pretty simple really.

Randle is a good young player. Good young players like him tend to command a lot of money from talent starved teams. For the Lakers to keep him, they will probably need to max him out (or get close to it).

Good, not great players like Randle, Porter and Harrison Barnes making these max deals end up being team killers. When you consider that the real superstars are only getting 5-8 million more per season, it is nearly impossible to overcome spending that much on a guy like Randle for an ascending team that still needs to add more pieces.

In other words, if they let him go, they are losing out on a really good player. If they keep him, they will be have to pay more than he is worth to do it. So they are screwed. NBA economics at work.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty simple really.

Randle is a good young player. Good young players like him tend to command a lot of money from talent starved teams. For the Lakers to keep him, they will probably need to max him out (or get close to it).

Good, not great players like Randle, Porter and Harrison Barnes making these max deals end up being team killers. When you consider that the real superstars are only getting 5-8 million more per season, it is nearly impossible to overcome spending that much on a guy like Randle for an ascending team that still needs to add more pieces.

In other words, if they let him go, they are losing out on a really good player. If they keep him, they will be have to pay more than he is worth to do it. So they are screwed. NBA economics at work.

We don't know what he's going to demand/accept. Heck we don't know what lebron or PG are willing to sign for if the opportunity arises.

Randle isn't going to demand the max from the Lakers

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know what he's going to demand/accept. Heck we don't know what lebron or PG are willing to sign for if the opportunity arises.

Randle isn't going to demand the max from the Lakers

That isn't how RFA works.

Other teams are going to offer him a max (or a near max) and the Lakers must choose to match or let him walk. Do you really think he would sign in advance of free agency and leave tens of millions on the table?

This is his first chance to sign a big contract and he has already missed an entire season to injury. He would be foolish to give a major hometown discount.

LBJ and George signing for less? Don't do this. Be realistic please. It is impossible to get all 3. When LeBron was being asked about Golden State he said he would consider them IF they could clear the space to offer a max deal. I think that is about as clear as it gets that he isn't giving discounts either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't how RFA works.

Other teams are going to offer him a max (or a near max) and the Lakers must choose to match or let him walk. Do you really think he would sign in advance of free agency and leave tens of millions on the table?

This is his first chance to sign a big contract and he has already missed an entire season to injury. He would be foolish to give a major hometown discount.

LBJ and George signing for less? Don't do this. Be realistic please. It is impossible to get all 3. When LeBron was being asked about Golden State he said he would consider them IF they could clear the space to offer a max deal. I think that is about as clear as it gets that he isn't giving discounts either.

I very much doubt any teams, if any, who have the cap space to sign a max player will go for Randle.

And you're telling me star players haven't accepted less money in order to play with each other? Really?