• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is the Value of Winning Free Agency?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I like Reggie Nelson, but I highly doubt he comes all that close to replicating his INT's from last season. Many of them were right place/right time kind of INT's rather than great plays/read on the WR/Ball.

Most players that have a huge interception season see a huge drop off the next year. Turnovers are a hard stat to find consistency in for players and teams. And yeah I do like that signing for them as well. My issues are more with Bruce Irvin and Sean Smith and the fit within the system.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Winning" free agency is a fallacy. Now losing free agency is a definite possibility. Teams like Miami bringing in Donkeykong Suh and losing everybody else and having no cap the following years.
Everybody said Miami won in free agency - what a joke!

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never liked the mercenary/hired gun feel of free agents.

A guy who's cut loose (like a Wilfork) bothers me less than a malcontent just out for more $.

I recognize it's a heartless business but I don't like that sell sword feel.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do know that Washington would spend a bunch in free agency every year including one year 2009 where they gave Albert Haynesworth a 100 million contract and it never helped them win.

With their new GM from last year the Redskins now employ an almost entirely different approach, and I would guess that this will pay big dividends over the next several years. Free agency is just so risky since 1. you are putting all of your eggs in one basket 2. you are removing motivation for the highly paid free agents & have to trust that they play for more than $$ 3. you risk paying a lot of money for nothing if dead cap money results & 4. you risk issues with your remaining vets who may also want huge increases in the near future.

In most cases the smarter approach is to rely mainly on the draft & only add a big name FA or two once you are established & can make a true SB run. I would much rather advocate the approach of say the Packers over say the approach of the Dolphins.

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FA works if you get the right scheme fits.. And this new RAIDER management team understands that..
For example.. Last years FA crop for us was, Crabs, Williams, Lee, Smith, Hudson all key impact players for us..
This year we added Ose, Smith, Irvin and Nelson, system fits.. Now you add that to Carr, Coop, Mack along with a host of young players.. Well, that is how you win FA.. Its not about the big name, but about players fitting what you want to do..

idahoraiderfan33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FA works if you get the right scheme fits.. And this new RAIDER management team understands that..
For example.. Last years FA crop for us was, Crabs, Williams, Lee, Smith, Hudson all key impact players for us..
This year we added Ose, Smith, Irvin and Nelson, system fits.. Now you add that to Carr, Coop, Mack along with a host of young players.. Well, that is how you win FA.. Its not about the big name, but about players fitting what you want to do..
Now of course we have to play the game first in order to see if this new batch of FAs work!!
But unless these new FAs game completely falls of the map, i see no reason why they won't boost the RAIDERS that much more..

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Idaho I guess my question would be how are they system fits?

Most of those guys all played in very different systems than what the Raiders play.

Smith--played in an aggressive bump and run man coverage system. Played to his strengths of being a bigger Corner that can actually be physical with WR's. The Raiders run more of an Off-Man/Zone coverage not taking advantage of his size and ability to bump WR's off their route.

Irvin--Used more in coverage every year as his pass rush skills were showing to be lacking consistency. Raiders sign him to be a pass rusher when Seattle showed they did not believe that was his skill set. I guess I trust the defense that has shown to be the best for years now that they know what a player can do.

Ose--Coming from a ZBS to now a PBS in Oakland.

So again you keep saying these guys are great fits but I don't see it. They are playing in a very different scheme compared to the skill set they have shown.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning Free agency often means you sucked the year before and needed to bring in a bunch of new players...see Washington for about a 10 year period...

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning Free agency often means you sucked the year before and needed to bring in a bunch of new players...see Washington for about a 10 year period...

Partially true. It is generally indicative of a losing team. However - that is just the symptom of a poor organization & primarily a bad GM. Actually the start of the Redskins woes started in 2000 when they signed B. Smith, Deoin, J George, etc. They were coming off a playoff appearance & were a hair away from the NFC title game the previous season.

What followed was a slew of bad GMs - namely Cerrato & coaches turned pseudo GMs in Gibbs & Shanahan. None possessed the knowledge or patience to successfully run a team & didn't value the draft enough. Thankfully - the Redskins now have a real GM who helped build several other successful organizations.