• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What coaches will be facing HIGH expectations in the upcoming season...

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the question was What coach will be facing high expectations. Last year there were no high expectations at USC and this year this is and it's just as much as any top ranked team other than Alabama whos expectations are higher than anyone these days.

Again, read the context of what I said AFTER the post title.

If it is simply which coaches have high expectations on them, then you can throw Notre Dame, Clemson, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State, etc. IMO, USC will ALWAYS have high expectations, and had them last year too (until they got drilled by Alabama, and then they started to rise again mid season). The thing is, your coach isn't even in top 10 of big programs with high expectations on their coach. Brian Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, James Frankin, Bob Stoops, and probably several more have WAY higher expectations on them. Simply because they were highly paid, and made bigger promises than the USC coach.

Again, just my two cents. If you want to lump your coach into that crowd, go for it.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think James Franklin will also have a HUGE burden of expectation put on him this season. He is coming off a historic year for Penn State after the past decade or so of poor play, and I'm not sure if fans/school officials will not expect another BIG year from him (especially with all the returning starters he has for 2017). If he falls back to 8 wins next year, 2018 could become his "make or break" year.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, read the context of what I said AFTER the post title.

If it is simply which coaches have high expectations on them, then you can throw Notre Dame, Clemson, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State, etc. IMO, USC will ALWAYS have high expectations, and had them last year too (until they got drilled by Alabama, and then they started to rise again mid season). The thing is, your coach isn't even in top 10 of big programs with high expectations on their coach. Brian Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, James Frankin, Bob Stoops, and probably several more have WAY higher expectations on them. Simply because they were highly paid, and made bigger promises than the USC coach.

Again, just my two cents. If you want to lump your coach into that crowd, go for it.

No one had USC finishing in the top ten last season before the season started. Heltons team will probably start the season ranked higher than all those teams other than Alabama and Ohio State. So I don't know why you dont think hes got high expectations or at least as high as Harbaugh or Stoops or Smart and Franklin or Kelly. Especially when his team beat Kellys and Franklins and finished higher than Harbaugh and Stoops.
You don't know USC football if you don't think there are high expectations this year.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you read it wrong, I said that if they have a poor 2017, than they will definitely have to deliver in 2018 to keep from being on the hot seat.
Harbaugh probably has a 5 year window before he is on the "hot seat". After RR and Hoke most MI and boosters will be more patient to let him build his program.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh probably has a 5 year window before he is on the "hot seat". After RR and Hoke most MI and boosters will be more patient to let him build his program.

What I said above would put him in the hot seat in year 5 (2019 season)

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one had USC finishing in the top ten last season before the season started. Heltons team will probably start the season ranked higher than all those teams other than Alabama and Ohio State. So I don't know why you dont think hes got high expectations or at least as high as Harbaugh or Stoops or Smart and Franklin or Kelly. Especially when his team beat Kellys and Franklins and finished higher than Harbaugh and Stoops.
You don't know USC football if you don't think there are high expectations this year.

But he didn't have the same expectations coming into the job as the others had. He basically came into a train wreck and wasn't really expected to become more than the interim head coach when he first got the job, right?

Maybe I'm wrong.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay Helton. Even though he's relatively new to being a head coach, USC is pretty loaded especially at QB and a young defense. He gets no pass for his inexperience. Anything less than winning the south and being in the playoff hunt late will have people calling him Clay Aikin and USC overrated.
Agreed, especially with the schedule set up for success, no early road games, most the tough games in LA.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely Jim Harbaugh. Time to get Michigan into the playoffs. They miss it this year he's going to be let go I think.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he didn't have the same expectations coming into the job as the others had. He basically came into a train wreck and wasn't really expected to become more than the interim head coach when he first got the job, right?

Maybe I'm wrong.
I dont think any USC fan thought he was the right hire. I would argue, that 9 game win streak saved his Job, had they gone 7-2 he would have been fired IMO. Now he is back at Equal Setting. Given the Schedule and the returning talent, anything less than 10-2 is a Firing Season. Heck 10-2 would be disappointing this year.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean 5 from now. Not 5 from his first.

So if Jim Harbaugh loses the next 2 times to Ohio State, doesn't win a B10 title, and doesn't reach the playoffs over the next 2 seasons, you don't think he will be on the hot seat?

Again, I think he probably beats OSU over the next two seasons and likely makes the playoffs as B10 champs, so it is likely a moot point anyway.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just glanced over the previous post, so maybe he has been mentioned and I missed it ...

Mike Riley?

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Boren loves Bob Stoops.
It doesn't matter what record Bob has, or what the fans think/want, he isn't going anywhere.
It's not like the Big XII is tough enough to blow Oklahoma up unless something catastrophic happens like Mayfield goes down. But I don't see it going on for years.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think any USC fan thought he was the right hire. I would argue, that 9 game win streak saved his Job, had they gone 7-2 he would have been fired IMO. Now he is back at Equal Setting. Given the Schedule and the returning talent, anything less than 10-2 is a Firing Season. Heck 10-2 would be disappointing this year.

I don't know as I thought he was the "right hire" but I definitely didn't think he was the wrong hire either. He looks and acts like a genuine, adult football coach and that was plenty good enough for me to give him a fair chance.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure high expectations, but some Aggies are already starting to sharpen their pitchforks. Sumlin may have the hottest seat in the nation right now.

Not a coach, but the AD of LSU better watch his back if Coach O flops

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure high expectations, but some Aggies are already starting to sharpen their pitchforks. Sumlin may have the hottest seat in the nation right now.

Not a coach, but the AD of LSU better watch his back if Coach O flops
If Sumlin's seat is hot then he is toast because they should be down a bit this year.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if Jim Harbaugh loses the next 2 times to Ohio State, doesn't win a B10 title, and doesn't reach the playoffs over the next 2 seasons, you don't think he will be on the hot seat?

Again, I think he probably beats OSU over the next two seasons and likely makes the playoffs as B10 champs, so it is likely a moot point anyway.
No I dont think he is.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
458655488_10-e1415563774904.jpg

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know as I thought he was the "right hire" but I definitely didn't think he was the wrong hire either. He looks and acts like a genuine, adult football coach and that was plenty good enough for me to give him a fair chance.
I thought he was the Wrong Hire. His playing of Browne only confirmed it to me. I will give him Credit for Adaptability and His ability to Transfer his Energy to players. I just worry his Talent Evaluation will not get better. Using Games to find the most important players is not how one wins NCs...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised nobody has mentioned Ed Orgeron.

LSU fired a successful coach and hired a coach who has a losing record as a SEC coach. At Ole Miss, he was a good recruiter(maybe we know why now), but just a terrible coach.

Now he is expected to somehow be the guy who gets LSU over the hump? And they will probably start the season in the top10 adding even more pressure.

I don't think he'll get 3 years like most coaches would at a new job unless he finds immediate success of the playoff kind, or at least ended the 6 in a row losing streak to Alabama. Wouldn't be shocked at all if he was fired after 1 year, especially if they think they can get some new upcoming coach to replace him.

Even as the official HC, he still seems like an interim coach.

Bonus: If you want to count the LSU AD as a coach, put him on the bubble as well. Talk about a guy who can't seem to make a correct decision on anything. Maybe AD gets fired and new AD decides to replace Orgeron.

Reactions: 006