• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What coaches will be facing HIGH expectations in the upcoming season...

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think ANY of these coaches are even close to being fired (far from it), but expectations are starting to REALLY rise on these coaches in 2017, and could become deafening in 2018 if they fail to deliver next season IMO:

Jim Harbaugh: This may be the last year that Harbaugh can get away with NOT winning a B10 title. If he loses another game to Ohio State AND wins 10 or less games in 2017, the fan base will likely demand big things in 2018 or begin to turn on him. Unfortunately, I think that Michigan will likely be a 9-10 win team in 2017, so 2018 will see a TON of pressure on ole Jim to win something of significance (B10 title and/or playoff spot).

Bob Stoops: After stalling out at the start of last season, with such HIGH expectations going into the season, Bob has to be feeling some big pressure. Having three 11 win seasons, over the past 4 years should be enough to keep the fan base happy, but Stoops just can't seem to get them over the hump, even though their biggest in conference rival has been abysmal over the past 4-5 seasons. If he can manage an upset over Ohio State in week 2, it will SERIOUSLY do him some good with the fan base. With the B12 looking a little bit weaker than the past few seasons (Baylor and TCU have sort of come down to earth since their big runs over the past 3-4 seasons, and Texas will likely be rebuilding again), if Oklahoma can beat Ohio State, they could easily make a run to an undefeated season with OK St probably being the best team outside of Ohio State on their schedule. Even if they lose a close game to Ohio State, they can make a nice run the rest of the season and easily be a playoff team.

Kirby Smart: Most times when a coach takes over a big program, after a coach is fired, the fan base gives them PLENTY of adjustment time. The problem for Smart is that he took over from a coach that averaged OVER 10 wins a season for more than a decade. So even though Georgia fans tired of Richt not winning the big games, he rarely gave Georgia a bad season. Well Smart had a rough season in the eyes of many Georgia fans, even though they still won 8 games in his first season. With all the talent coming back to UGA from last years team, and the impressive recruiting classes he has had the past two signing days, expectations couldn't be much higher for Smart. They have a relatively easy SEC schedule next season (Only play Miss St and Auburn from the West), and have one tough early OOC game @ Notre Dame. SEC East championship is a MUST for next season, or Smart is really going to be feeling some pressure in 2018.

Those are the three off the top of my head, what other coaches do you all see that will have some pressure to deliver in 2017, or their rears may begin warming up in 2018.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short Bus Gus, self-appointed offensive genius. He's 11-13 in the SEC and 23-16 overall the past 3 years.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think ANY of these coaches are even close to being fired (far from it), but expectations are starting to REALLY rise on these coaches in 2017, and could become deafening in 2018 if they fail to deliver next season IMO:

Jim Harbaugh: This may be the last year that Harbaugh can get away with NOT winning a B10 title. If he loses another game to Ohio State AND wins 10 or less games in 2017, the fan base will likely demand big things in 2018 or begin to turn on him. Unfortunately, I think that Michigan will likely be a 9-10 win team in 2017, so 2018 will see a TON of pressure on ole Jim to win something of significance (B10 title and/or playoff spot).

Bob Stoops: After stalling out at the start of last season, with such HIGH expectations going into the season, Bob has to be feeling some big pressure. Having three 11 win seasons, over the past 4 years should be enough to keep the fan base happy, but Stoops just can't seem to get them over the hump, even though their biggest in conference rival has been abysmal over the past 4-5 seasons. If he can manage an upset over Ohio State in week 2, it will SERIOUSLY do him some good with the fan base. With the B12 looking a little bit weaker than the past few seasons (Baylor and TCU have sort of come down to earth since their big runs over the past 3-4 seasons, and Texas will likely be rebuilding again), if Oklahoma can beat Ohio State, they could easily make a run to an undefeated season with OK St probably being the best team outside of Ohio State on their schedule. Even if they lose a close game to Ohio State, they can make a nice run the rest of the season and easily be a playoff team.

Kirby Smart: Most times when a coach takes over a big program, after a coach is fired, the fan base gives them PLENTY of adjustment time. The problem for Smart is that he took over from a coach that averaged OVER 10 wins a season for more than a decade. So even though Georgia fans tired of Richt not winning the big games, he rarely gave Georgia a bad season. Well Smart had a rough season in the eyes of many Georgia fans, even though they still won 8 games in his first season. With all the talent coming back to UGA from last years team, and the impressive recruiting classes he has had the past two signing days, expectations couldn't be much higher for Smart. They have a relatively easy SEC schedule next season (Only play Miss St and Auburn from the West), and have one tough early OOC game @ Notre Dame. SEC East championship is a MUST for next season, or Smart is really going to be feeling some pressure in 2018.

Those are the three off the top of my head, what other coaches do you all see that will have some pressure to deliver in 2017, or their rears may begin warming up in 2018.
Couldn't agree more about these coaches facing high expectations but I don't see any of them facing the "hot seat" in the near future, outside of one of these programs just having an abysmal fall next year.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more about these coaches facing high expectations but I don't see any of them facing the "hot seat" in the near future outside of one of these programs just having an abysmal fall next year.

I think you read it wrong, I said that if they have a poor 2017, than they will definitely have to deliver in 2018 to keep from being on the hot seat.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you read it wrong, I said that if they have a poor 2017, than they will definitely have to deliver in 2018 to keep from being on the hot seat.
Nope. When I say near future, I'm talking about 2 or 3 years down the road before facing the hot seat unless they completely fall on their ass one year. Besides that, most of these coaches are well known with a successful track record. Unless your bringing in a Saban or Meyer like name, it's pretty hard to find a better candidate for the job in these kind of programs.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. When I say near future, I'm talking about 2 or 3 years down the road before facing the hot seat unless they completely fall on their ass one year. Besides that, most of these coaches are well known with a successful track record. Unless your bringing in a Saban or Meyer like name, it's pretty hard to find a better candidate for the job in these kind of programs.

Ok, so you're saying if Kirby Smart has another two 8-9 wins seasons, and doesn't win the SEC East, he won't be on the hot seat? Same with Harbaugh, if he continues to lose to Ohio State, and fails to win the B10 title? Neither have a "successful track record" in the NCAA yet in terms of championships as a head coach. In terms of Stoops, you would know better than me. I certainly wouldn't dump him, but fans/boosters are fickle and he has come short on expectations several times recently from my viewpoint.

I love Harbaugh, but 2 more losses to Ohio State, and not getting a playoff spot will most definitely put him on the hot seat in the next two seasons IMO. Fortunately, I am fairly confident that he will do it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay Helton. Even though he's relatively new to being a head coach, USC is pretty loaded especially at QB and a young defense. He gets no pass for his inexperience. Anything less than winning the south and being in the playoff hunt late will have people calling him Clay Aikin and USC overrated.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so you're saying if Kirby Smart has another two 8-9 wins seasons, and doesn't win the SEC East, he won't be on the hot seat? Same with Harbaugh, if he continues to lose to Ohio State, and fails to win the B10 title? Neither have a "successful track record" in the NCAA yet in terms of championships as a head coach. In terms of Stoops, you would know better than me. I certainly wouldn't dump him, but fans/boosters are fickle and he has come short on expectations several times recently from my viewpoint.

I love Harbaugh, but 2 more losses to Ohio State, and not getting a playoff spot will most definitely put him on the hot seat in the next two seasons IMO. Fortunately, I am fairly confident that he will do it.
Fair points all. I can appreciate that mindset.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay Helton. Even though he's relatively new to being a head coach, USC is pretty loaded especially at QB and a young defense. He gets no pass for his inexperience. Anything less than winning the south and being in the playoff hunt late will have people calling him Clay Aikin and USC overrated.

Clay Helton is REALLY safe IMO. USC doesn't want to change head coaches again (how many have they had the past 5-6 seasons?). Plus, with Oregon having trouble getting back to the Chip Kelly success, and Stanford taking a step back recently, the Pac 12 is pretty weak. On top of that, I don't think USC meets Washington unless both teams make it to the Pac 12 championship game? (I could be wrong on that)

Clay Helton would have to SERIOUSLY drop the ball next season in order to be in any danger of getting on the hot seat in next 2 seasons IMO. I just don't see it happening.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I thought Trustmeright was the only one to call him Clay Aiken. :dhd:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. We have a lot of talent (even if some of it is relatively inexperienced) and a manageable schedule.

I think winning the South is the very least that is expected. While our defense is young in a lot of places, as you say, we are loaded with talent.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clay Helton is REALLY safe IMO. USC doesn't want to change head coaches again (how many have they had the past 5-6 seasons?). Plus, with Oregon having trouble getting back to the Chip Kelly success, and Stanford taking a step back recently, the Pac 12 is pretty weak. On top of that, I don't think USC meets Washington unless both teams make it to the Pac 12 championship game? (I could be wrong on that)

Clay Helton would have to SERIOUSLY drop the ball next season in order to be in any danger of getting on the hot seat in next 2 seasons IMO. I just don't see it happening.

Unless the wheels completely come off, I agree that he is probably safe from being fired for a couple of seasons. However, some in the Trojans fanbase (especially the big money types) can be pretty unreasonable in their expectations. So, even though he may be safe from being fired (especially mid-season like the last 2), his seat will grow warm pretty quickly if USC underachieves.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the wheels completely come off, I agree that he is probably safe from being fired for a couple of seasons. However, some in the Trojans fanbase (especially the big money types) can be pretty unreasonable in their expectations. So, even though he may be safe from being fired (especially mid-season like the last 2), his seat will grow warm pretty quickly if USC underachieves.

I could see him being let go if a BIG name were to come available (like a Pete Carroll type guy), AND USC isn't playing particularly well. But if a program has a high turnover rate with coaches in a relatively short period of time, it can become counter productive on getting good coaches to come, unless you already have a coach in your back pocket ready to come in. On top of that, it can really create havoc on recruiting when you change coaches every 2-3 years.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see him being let go if a BIG name were to come available (like a Pete Carroll type guy), AND USC isn't playing particularly well. But if a program has a high turnover rate with coaches in a relatively short period of time, it can become counter productive on getting good coaches to come, unless you already have a coach in your back pocket ready to come in. On top of that, it can really create havoc on recruiting when you change coaches every 2-3 years.

The question was what coaches would be facing high expectations. The question wasn't whos going to get fired if they dont happen. I agree he's new to the head coaching game and isn't in any immediate danger of losing his job but he's at USC and the fan base got a sniff of some some success this past season. He's got a much better schedule a better team and a QB who might be the second coming of Andrew Luck so the expectations are going to be high. Most feel he should be a playoff contender. That's pretty high expectations don't you think?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree. The last couple of coaching changes didn't really seem to effect recruiting too much, but those were situations where something HAD to be done because the behavior of the coaches, combined with the product on the field, was starting to hurt recruiting. But I agree, there's a point where constant coaching changes alone will effect recruiting, because it will make the athletic department look inept.

If Helton has accomplished nothing else, he has stabilized the program by simply acting like a grown ass, adult football coach rather than a petulant child or a drunk frat boy. That alone, buys him a couple of years in my book.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question was what coaches would be facing high expectations. The question wasn't whos going to get fired if they dont happen. I agree he's new to the head coaching game and isn't in any immediate danger of losing his job but he's at USC and the fan base got a sniff of some some success this past season. He's got a much better schedule a better team and a QB who might be the second coming of Andrew Luck so the expectations are going to be high. Most feel he should be a playoff contender. That's pretty high expectations don't you think?

What are high expectations if there is no penalty for not achieving it? IMO, if there is no penalty for not achieving those high expectations, are they really high expectations?

IMO, If these particular coaches don't begin living up to the high expectations that they were hired to achieve, when does the tide begin to turn against them. IMO, the 3 coaches I alluded to, need to do something in 2017, or they will to have to have a big 2018 in order to not be on the hot seat IMO.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are high expectations if there is no penalty for not achieving it? IMO, if there is no penalty for not achieving those high expectations, are they really high expectations?

Really? USC has a favorable schedule ,a good team with a Heisman type QB and the current second longest winning streak in the country . So expectations are high. The coach is only in his second year so no hot seat situation going on. You can have high expectations for the team with a coach who isn't close to being fired if you dont achieve them. It would be his first strike and the warming would begin for sure.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? USC has a favorable schedule ,a good team with a Heisman type QB and the current second longest winning streak in the country . So expectations are high. The coach is only in his second year so no hot seat situation going on. You can have high expectations for the team with a coach who isn't close to being fired if you dont achieve them. It would be his first strike and the warming would begin for sure.

When aren't expectations high at USC? Again, IMO the guys I listed above have higher expectations due to the fact that they have had a few big recruiting classes underneath them, they are HIGHLY paid, and (at least at Georgia and Michigan) they came in promising wins against rivals, and conference championships. I just don't see the same pressure on USC's coach for next season, although I'm no where near the West coast so I wouldn't really know.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When aren't expectations high at USC? Again, IMO the guys I listed above have higher expectations due to the fact that they have had a few big recruiting classes underneath them, they are HIGHLY paid, and (at least at Georgia and Michigan) they came in promising wins against rivals, and conference championships. I just don't see the same pressure on USC's coach for next season, although I'm no where near the West coast so I wouldn't really know.

Again, the question was What coach will be facing high expectations. Last year there were no high expectations at USC and this year this is and it's just as much as any top ranked team other than Alabama whos expectations are higher than anyone these days.