• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

West Virginia WR Ivan McCartney wants to rejoin the football team

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia WR Ivan McCartney wants to rejoin the football team

By Chip Patterson | College Football Writer

Former West Virginia wide receiver Ivan McCartney is back in Morgantown, attempting to regain his position on the Mountaineers football team.
McCartney played eight games as a junior in 2012 but quit the team in November. West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen said the senior wide receiver will be "considered a newcomer" during summer workouts with the team.
"Second chances are few and far between," Holgorsen told the Charleston Daily Mail. "This kid's got an opportunity to right the ship. Maybe he makes the best of it. Maybe he doesn't."
McCartney ranked third on the team with 49 receptions and 585 receiving yards in 2011, but the former high school All-American had only nine receptions for 112 yards before his late-season departure.
The 6-foot-2, 185-pound wide receiver was a teammate of Geno Smith at Miramar (Fla.) High School, and it was reportedly contacts in Florida who reached out to Holgorsen with the idea of a return. McCartney will be eligible to regain his scholarship immediately, and his addition will not count toward the 2013 recruiting class.
With two years in Holgorsen's system, McCartney can bring experience to a thin wide receiver group in 2013. Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey were both drafted last month, leaving sophomore Jordan Thompson as the team's leading returning receiver -- with just 13 receptions for 85 yards last season.
West Virginia is also in the process of finding a replacement for Smith, the three-year starting quarterback. Backups Ford Childress and Paul Millard battled during spring practice for the starting job, but Holgorsen opted to keep the competition open through the summer and into fall camp. Florida State transfer quarterback Clint Trickett will join the mix as well, a move that may have played a role in Chavas Rawlins, an early enrollee from the 2013 recruiting class, deciding to transfer last week.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully we see the guy that was improving in his Soph season and not the implosion of his Jr. Season.

Watching his classmates get millions in signing bonuses may have swayed his decision.

EERNSC

Wetzel County Proud
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I suppose he deserves a second chance. Guess he has his head straightened out this time around, hope so anyway. I'm sure DH will have a close watch over him.

Just goes to show, "Once a Mountaineer, always a Mountaineer".

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCartney is a bigtime talent but much like his cousin OCHO CINCO--he too is a head case. I think this is a mutual agreement for both the player and the Coach because both stand to gain alot from each other. WV needs a seasoned WR that knows the system and McCartney brings that to the table. I actually think he has more talent and upside than any player we have had at the WR position since Henry. He has the typical NFL size and body to be a dominating NFL reciever. And folks, write this down, this kid will find a way to the NFL and he knows Morgantown is the best route right now.

WildBucFan13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as his head is in the right place, then I'd say "Welcome Back!!"

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried to start a new thread but I guess I'm not "allowed" since I don't post something every single day...Anyway, here's some exciting news.

Report: Charles Sims to look at WVU, Cal after transfer restrictions

Charles Sims could be on his way to Berkeley or Morgantown. (USATSI)

Houston tailback transfer Charles Sims might be forced to look further afield to play out his final year of eligibility after transfer restrictions placed by the Cougars.
ESPN's Joe Schad [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]342652486043172864[/MEDIA]"]reported Thursday[/ame] that the Cougars' three-time leading rusher "has been told" by the school that he cannot transfer "to any school in AAC, any school on Cougars' 2013 schedule or any team in state."
Per Schad, Sims had been "[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]342652786737025024[/MEDIA]"]widely speculated[/ame]" to be favoring a transfer to Texas Tech but will [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]342652637512077313[/MEDIA]"]now consider[/ame] either Cal or West Virginia -- schools with coaches (Sonny Dykes and Dana Holgorsen, respectively) that run offenses similar to Houston's Air Raid-inspired attack.
Sims announced his departure from Tony Levine's program in May, saying he had not yet decided whether he would transfer or enter the NFL's Supplemental Draft. But Schad [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]342654005136224257[/MEDIA]"]reported[/ame] that Sims, who flirted with the possibility of entering the 2013 draft, still wants to improve his stock heading into 2014.
Sims leaves Houston with 4,077 total yards and 37 touchdowns, having led the team in rushing in 2012, 2011 and 2009, despite battling injuries in multiple seasons. It remains unclear what motivated Sims' decision to leave the program after saying in January that he would return.
Restrictions similar to those imposed by Houston (recently imposed on transfers like Oklahoma State's Wes Lunt and Maryland's Danny O'Brien) have drawn criticism as being unfair to players, though the Cougars and Levine may get something of a pass since all three groups of schools named -- UH's conference mates in the American Athletic Conference, their recruiting rivals in Texas and schools on future Cougar schedules -- represent teams with which Houston is in direct competition.

Last edited by a moderator: