• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 6: Virginia Tech @ North Carolina (Oct. 6, 2012)

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good game, the game was closer than the final score indicated. Y'all had a key drop on a deep ball, travis Hughes made a big time play on one of like 5 plays he got in on and the refs called what looked like an awful pass interference call on one of our third downs late in the game. Like the fumble being recovered out of bounds I was at the game and didn't get a good enough replay to know if it was the right call.
I didn't like the PI on Fuller that lead to the last UNC FG. He didn't seem to get touched. I did actually think that the UNC player recovered the ball in bounds on the Thomas fumble. If they would have reviewed that, it probably would have been UNC ball.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Good game, the game was closer than the final score indicated. Y'all had a key drop on a deep ball, travis Hughes made a big time play on one of like 5 plays he got in on and the refs called what looked like an awful pass interference call on one of our third downs late in the game. Like the fumble being recovered out of bounds I was at the game and didn't get a good enough replay to know if it was the right call.

never felt like we were out of it until that play.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking it down by groups:

Offense

-LT played the best he has all year. He still had a few overthrows, one that I think could have been a TD to Davis, but not near as bad as he's been so far. He had plenty of time to pass and he looked a lot closer to the LT of last year.

-Unfortunately, LT's receivers hurt him quite a bit. Davis and Roberts dropped quite a few easy passes. Knowles (though he was good for the most part) and Malleck ran the wrong routes on a few key possessions as well. Twice I saw Malleck not even looking for the ball.

-People will bitch about the run game but honestly we didn't use it much. I saw Painter and Phillips blow a few blocks but to me, it just didn't seem like we planned to use it much. There was no concerned effort to establish a run game with any back so I assume it wasn't gameplanned. They seemed more concerned with getting JC involved in short passes. I like the idea but UNC blew every one of them up.

Defense

-Just read back. I said during the first quarter we did ok but UNC was gaining rhythm and we needed pressure to disrupt it. Well that didn't happen. They kicked our ass. I think I said this in game 2 or 3 but that hype you heard about going 2 deep along the front 4 doesn't mean we're deep with talent, it means we have 8 average guys who do nothing to stand out. Our front got manhandled. UNC got into our pads, turned us sideways, and Bernard just cutback to open field so Cole could run halfway across the field to push him out of bounds 20 yards down field. Rinse repeat.

-Secondary did ok in the 1st quarter but I knew it wouldn't last with no help from up front. Once UNC established the run, Renner sat back in a comfy pocket and picked out 2ndary apart when he needed to. Also, I've been quiet on Bonner because I've given him the benefit of doubt after seeing so many people trash him. No more. Bench his ass. They showed a TD he gave him in the 3rd from a camera in the end zone. You could see him casually walking around like he wasn't paying attention. His man runs past him, he starts jogging after him, guy makes the TD catch and Cole can't get there in time. Bonner looks over at Cole like it was his fault. Ridiculous.

-No Foster apologists here. He deserves criticism. We've seen signs of decline in his units over the last 2 years. Now its complete (I hope). We've got the softest defense I've seen in...I don't know how long. It's that bad. For the first time in a long time, this one is on Bud. Maybe that's what he needs to get back to the blue collar grindstone

Special Teams

-Nice Knowles return

-Terrible return given up. It looked like guys just gave up before the UNC player picked up the ball. They pulled up as if he was just going to let the ball roll into the endzone. Welp, he didn't. Guys got caught flat footed and when he reversed field, all our guys ran right into their blockers. Special teams looked like special ed.

Next week: #praywebeatDuke and #hello7and5season

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this sums up our year so far:
z4bgc.jpg

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It could be that practicing against Newsome's softies has made the D-line soft as well. Either that or I need to change my sig to FIRE EVERYONE TODAY PLEASE

This kind of makes sense.

Perhaps this is why Foster thought he had the best defense ever, and it's pretty clear that it might be the worst. They needed to fix the offensive line. They didn't. Now the problems have spread. What the defense is facing on the field is worse than what they practice against.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better be some serious changes this offseason. im willing to take a 6-6 year if it brings about the necessary changes that this program needs. it just better happen.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better be some serious changes this offseason. im willing to take a 6-6 year if it brings about the necessary changes that this program needs. it just better happen.

Here here. I hate losing, but I would rather lose horribly for one season and get the necessary changes made so we can be legit NC contenders in the upcoming years. With Clemson, FSU on the rise and with other changes made at such places like UNCheat - we need serious upgrades in the coaching dept.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of makes sense.

Perhaps this is why Foster thought he had the best defense ever, and it's pretty clear that it might be the worst. They needed to fix the offensive line. They didn't. Now the problems have spread. What the defense is facing on the field is worse than what they practice against.
Let's not make up excuses for Foster's defense. This isn't the first time we've had a sucky offensive lines and defenses in the past didn't suck because the offense line sucked.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is just wildly inconsistent. There are alot of little problems that are compounding to make one huge problem. I am going to sound like Beams here, but if this team could put together a complete game (or just improve a little bit) on both sides of the ball, in every area, then we are 4-1 rather than 2-3. Either the offense shows up and the defense doesn't, or vice-versa. The ACC is still wide open and I honestly think this team still has a shot at an ACCCG berth. The conference and division is still wide open, FSU is not invincible, Miami got manhandled by a good ND team, GT and Clemson are pretty hot and cold (especially on defense), Duke and UVA are tough..but we are still better than those teams if we play like it. There is a ton of work to do in a short amount of time and zero room for error from here on out. But I think this team has as much talent as a whole as any of those teams. Players need to play better and coaches need to coach better.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well for whatever reason the D-line is worse this year with the same players. It can't help practicing against a worse O-line than almost anyone they'll see all year. I think being on the field for so many plays this year has hurt them as well. Exum is playing out of position and Bonner and Cole are on the field because of recruiting misses. BUT when Foster has players he knows what to do with them unlike the offensive coaches. I don't think Newsome can identify talent in the first place. Beamer has allowed too many coaches who couldn't recruit and/or do their jobs to stay on the staff for too long and we're seeing the effects of it now

Last edited by a moderator:

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh and don't forget the LB situation where Telvion was kicked off, Edwards has been injured and Taylor is coming off a major injury. Where are the injuries on the offense again? What is their excuse? Oh I know the O-line has only been in the program an average of 3 1/2 years instead of the required 4 1/2 for them to be decent. And let's not forget the TEs who are horrible. Whoever is evaluating TE talent needs to hand it over to someone else

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think being on the field for so many plays this year has hurt them as well.
Versus Pittsburg, you would have a point, but the last two games we've had:
vs. UNC 74-75, 30:30 to 29:30 VT-UNC.
vs Cinnci 64-75, 29:50 to 30:10 VT-Cinnci

Keep in mind, the defense would had a ton of rest in the second half of the Cinci game (when they started to suck) because the TOP was like 17:12 to 12:48 in the second half.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And let's not forget the TEs who are horrible. Whoever is evaluating TE talent needs to hand it over to someone else
Our last few TEs, Boone, Andre Smith and Drager were all borderline NFL tight ends. They were good at blocking but they weren't horrible at receiving either. Not sure what happened this year.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Versus Pittsburg, you would have a point, but the last two games we've had:
vs. UNC 74-75, 30:30 to 29:30 VT-UNC.
vs Cinnci 64-75, 29:50 to 30:10 VT-Cinnci

Keep in mind, the defense would had a ton of rest in the second half of the Cinci game (when they started to suck) because the TOP was like 17:12 to 12:48 in the second half.

The only thing TOP is good for is letting you know that the team is limiting or not limiting the number of possessions. Number of plays is more important when you're talking about a defense getting worn down and with all the 3 and outs combined with the big plays on short scoring drives this year, I'd say the defense has been on the field more than they've been in several years

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing TOP is good for is letting you know that the team is limiting or not limiting the number of possessions. Number of plays is more important when you're talking about a defense getting worn down and with all the 3 and outs combined with the big plays on short scoring drives this year, I'd say the defense has been on the field more than they've been in several years
VT ran 74 offensive plays UNC ran 75

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm talking about on the year. Maybe they are beat up and you just don't hear about it

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Enough with the shit about Telvion being kicked off the team fooz..He did nothing but get himself in trouble. If you want to root for a team who will overlook MAJOR RECURRING character issues to win championships, migrate south with the fucking birds.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not make up excuses for Foster's defense. This isn't the first time we've had a sucky offensive lines and defenses in the past didn't suck because the offense line sucked.

^^^ This. Besides, Becton and Painter have actually been pretty good, so how has going against them in practice made our DEs soft?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberts and Davis need to be benched for a game as well until they can earn their spots back. Knowles and Fuller are playing much better than those 2. Roberts was benched this game i think actually

he wasn't benched, he was concussed.