• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 3: Virginia Tech vs. East Carolina @ Greenville, NC 12:00 PM EST Foxsports1

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not expect our O to struggle that much against ECU's D, particularly in the run game. That was not an Alabama defensive front seven but we sure managed to make them look good. And what is up with all those missed kicks? The final score looks a lot better if you add those 7 points.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope Gayle doesn't need surgery on that shoulder.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope Gayle is alright.

What was up with those kicks? Was it the snaps, or the holder? Those were not the usual for Journell, and could well have cost us the game.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not expect our O to struggle that much against ECU's D, particularly in the run game. That was not an Alabama defensive front seven but we sure managed to make them look good. And what is up with all those missed kicks? The final score looks a lot better if you add those 7 points.

10 points* He missed 3 FGs. One was called back on a running into the kicker call. If he makes it we probably take the points

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If its a labrum tear (happens when you dislocate the shoulder) it will need surgery but can be managed for the season, similar to what happened with Worilds.
Sounds good, if I remember right Worilds was a beast for the entire 2009 season. What game did he injure his sholder? I was pretty sad when he skipped his senior season for the NFL

Also I am pretty sure it was Gayle who caused the strip sack who sealed the game well after his sholder injury. Hopefully, he'll be OK. Just take him off special teams and play him only on defense. Maybe put Dadi Nicholas on his side to give him a few plays off.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Logan played like Logan. He would make an NFL level completion then miss the pass on a WR screen. It just makes you scratch your head at times. I thought he made a lot of good reads then would miss the throw because he got hit.

I was pretty happy our WR corp showed up! A few drops here and there but was much improved compared to WCU and Alabama.

I was most disappointed in the run game. How the hell did we get pushed back by the ECU defenders after winning the running battle against Alabama????

Our defense was amazing besides the first drive. Our true freshmen DBs in Kendall Fuller and Brandon Facyson played insane as they have all season.

Last edited by a moderator:

VT_Antzo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game Thoughts:

- Defense played lights out.
- Oline: regressed from the previous week...I want to know why Gibson wasn't out there.
- WR: much better but still a few drops. Knowles needs to fight for those jump balls.
- RB: When is JC going to be able to play? With the way ECU was stacking the line we couldn't get any push...it would have been a different story if we could have gotten JC out in the open field. I'm still holding out for some plays to be included for Mangus (and JC) to get the ball out in the flat and do work.
- QB: Much better play by Logan...keep it up.
- ST: Journell got it out of his system today...lets not see any more misses the rest of the season.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...defense should keep us in every game if the offense can give us any sort of output. LT and the receivers played better, his decision making at times is still a ??? to me. But he made some "NFL" caliber throws yesterday.

I read that Gibson didn't get the start because he had a bad week of practice (whatever that translates to..I dunno). I think Grimes knows what he is doing, but the OL is going to have to play much better if they are going to have success running the ball against ACC opponents. Not making excuses, but I think ECU may have a better front 7 than we thought. To me, a couple of their LBs looked straight up diesel. Still no excuse for getting pushed around like that.

I would rather see JC get back to 100%..even if that means sitting the Marshall game. Those high ankle injuries can take a while to heal, rushing him back to play against WCU was a mistake IMO.

Journell will improve, he has shown he can hit the kicks.

JPCVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibson playing poorly in practice couldn't have been worse that Benedict playing terribly in the actual game...he whiffed multiple times on the DE and just let him past him. Him and Miller had a pretty rough afternoon.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gibson playing poorly in practice couldn't have been worse that Benedict playing terribly in the actual game...he whiffed multiple times on the DE and just let him past him. Him and Miller had a pretty rough afternoon.

I don't know the details..but I am guessing (just a hunch) that it had nothing to do with Benedict's upside/ability to play that position better than Gibson?? I didn't pay that close attention, but I have heard that Wang struggled a bit as well?? I think the coaches are still trying to figure out what works best with the line and trying some different things..plus Benedict is the "6th man/utility lineman" I believe... good getting him some game reps there in case of an injury. I wouldn't expect him to start there again though.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...defense should keep us in every game if the offense can give us any sort of output. LT and the receivers played better, his decision making at times is still a ??? to me. But he made some "NFL" caliber throws yesterday.

I read that Gibson didn't get the start because he had a bad week of practice (whatever that translates to..I dunno). I think Grimes knows what he is doing, but the OL is going to have to play much better if they are going to have success running the ball against ACC opponents. Not making excuses, but I think ECU may have a better front 7 than we thought. To me, a couple of their LBs looked straight up diesel. Still no excuse for getting pushed around like that.

I would rather see JC get back to 100%..even if that means sitting the Marshall game. Those high ankle injuries can take a while to heal, rushing him back to play against WCU was a mistake IMO.

Journell will improve, he has shown he can hit the kicks.

Only if its 40 yards or shorter. He is not that good of a kicker. I've said this since his first season. He can hit all the chip shots like any kicker should, but once he gets further back it starts getting ify. If he were good, you wouldn't have to worry until anything past 45 yards. That's not the case with him. Truthfully, anything past 40 yards that's not a straight shot and you're just crossing your fingers. He's not good, certainly not worth his recruitment status. He's average at best.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Only if its 40 yards or shorter. He is not that good of a kicker. I've said this since his first season. He can hit all the chip shots like any kicker should, but once he gets further back it starts getting ify. If he were good, you wouldn't have to worry until anything past 45 yards. That's not the case with him. Truthfully, anything past 40 yards that's not a straight shot and you're just crossing your fingers. He's not good, certainly not worth his recruitment status. He's average at best.

Most of what you said applies to ANY kicker.

Journell's stats are pretty good, and certainly better than you're making them out to be.

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Journell last year was 6-9 from 40-49. Tied for 9th most in the country.

2012 NCAA Division I-A College Football Individual Statistics Leaders for Kicking - ESPN

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you happen to notice that his longest make is only 42 yards while all the others in that list are 45 yards or longer? He is not that good. There are many guys that can do what he does. He's not terrible, he's average. He's limited in what he can do and Beamer has used him wisely for the most part in picking his spots. Whatever, I'm not going to argue over a kicker that's even lucky to be enrolled right now.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

10 points I believe. Cost me 550 vBucks!

Rocco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did you happen to notice that his longest make is only 42 yards while all the others in that list are 45 yards or longer? He is not that good. There are many guys that can do what he does. He's not terrible, he's average. He's limited in what he can do and Beamer has used him wisely for the most part in picking his spots. Whatever, I'm not going to argue over a kicker that's even lucky to be enrolled right now.

College kickers in general shouldn't be trusted from 45+.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while the final score doesn't show it, i'm for the most part pretty happy with this one....O still needs some work. LT3 looked much better than week 1, and actually got some help from his receivers....running game suffered though. D, as has been said, excellent

when do we get a game where all aspects of the offensive game are clicking for us?