• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Way to whore yourself out southbay

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't speak on what you don't know. It's the Bay Area or San Francisco Bay Area in which both SF and Santa Clara are a part of. Nobody but dipshits like you call it San Fran metropolitan area.

Decided to come in full asshole mode I see.

Did they change the name of the Niners to the Bay Area 49ers? I must have missed that.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll have to see how these stadium deals hold up if teams fall on really hard times. Its only in the past 15 years or so that stadiums are getting further and further from the city centers. And the franchises that have done so have had some successful teams to pack the place. Cowboys are a bit of an exception, but they could have built that thing in Abeline and pack it every Sunday. But what happens to those other communities that are flipping the bill when the teams struggle on the field for an extended period of time like Cleveland, Detroit or pre-Harbaugh niners? Are people going to go 30-40 miles to watch them play? And if they dont, what kind of effect will it have these smaller communities that house the stadiums?

I don't know about these other cities, but Santa Clara isn't away from any City Center and most 49er fans actually live outside of San Francisco to the South so they are not driving that far. From Santa Clara north to San Francisco is one heavily populated giant metropolitan area with one city running up against each other. Most 49er fans live from SF South so it really isn't that much of a change and San Jose actually has a higher population than San Francisco. The San Francisco Giants and Golden State Warriors could build a stadium there and they would both still sell out every game.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most 49er fans live from SF South so it really isn't that much of a change and San Jose actually has a higher population than San Francisco. The San Francisco Giants and Golden State Warriors could build a stadium there and they would both still sell out every game.

Yep. San Francisco itself is pretty tiny, only about 750K. Lots of people live in the area, but if they were to tell folks out East they are from Daly City or Menlo Park or Sunnyvale, people would go "huh? where is that?"

As has been said previously, pro sports teams are brand names more than anything, and San Fran is more easily recognized than any other Bay Area towns.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. San Francisco itself is pretty tiny, only about 750K. Lots of people live in the area, but if they were to tell folks out East they are from Daly City or Menlo Park or Sunnyvale, people would go "huh? where is that?"

As has been said previously, pro sports teams are brand names more than anything, and San Fran is more easily recognized than any other Bay Area towns.

San Francisco is land locked with nowhere to grow but up. San Jose was around a million people last time I checked and still growing.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup. Even though San Jose is more populous than SF, when people not familiar with the area ask me where I'm from, I say "San Jose", get that wheels turning look, then add, "About an hour south of San Francisco", which is met with, "OH! Okay! I know where that is!"

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Even though San Jose is more populous than SF, when people not familiar with the area ask me where I'm from, I say "San Jose", get that wheels turning look, then add, "About an hour south of San Francisco", which is met with, "OH! Okay! I know where that is!"

That's pretty universal for those of us not born in a "name-brand" city.

I'm from "a half-hour south of Charlotte, but on the South Carolina side..."

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's pretty much universal with large metropolitan areas. I could tell you that I live in Lees Summit, and you'd probably have no clue where that is. But if I said Kansas City, you'd have a pretty good idea.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty much universal with large metropolitan areas. I could tell you that I live in Lees Summit, and you'd probably have no clue where that is. But if I said Kansas City, you'd have a pretty good idea.

You're right...I've never heard of it.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I read the article and I don't get the issue. As part of the NFL choosing a city, there has to be certain things made available. The city has to have convention space, hotel space, media space...and there is a LOT that goes into the agreements. It sounds like one of those things contractually agreed upon was the use of this soccer complex for the NFL. Now some kids are saying that it is unfair because they can't use it for the month or so that the NFL is in town? And you are taking issue with the NFL? They have a signed contract to use that facility, and have had it for probably 3 years when SFO was announced as the superbowl 50 site. I guarantee the owners of the soccer complex were alerted and probably a key part of the bidding process.

Now people want to demonize the NFL? The 49ers and the owners of this complex are the ones to blame. You can't tell someone "here, you can use this space" and then when they show up to use it demonize them for doing so. There is plenty of terrible crap the NFL does to SB cities, this isn't one of them.
the first thing that whinny adults hide behind is children to try to get their way

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty universal for those of us not born in a "name-brand" city.

I'm from "a half-hour south of Charlotte, but on the South Carolina side..."

Not nearly as common when people have to refer to a smaller city because people don't know where the larger city is.

The Bay area is unique in that San Fran is really the grandfather of the west coast cities so it has the most name cachet. San Jose is a very young city that very few Californians know much about.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decided to come in full asshole mode I see.

Did they change the name of the Niners to the Bay Area 49ers? I must have missed that.

When people talk out their asses posing as if they have a clue, then yes, yes I do.

Were they called the San Francisco Metropolitan Area Niners like you suggested the area was called? Total bullshit argument. You tried to differentiate the areas as separate with your SF and SJ metro argument and I correctly pointed out how wrong you are. If you ask people in SJ or Santa Clara if they are in the Bay Area, they say yes. It's one huge metropolitan area.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When people talk out their asses posing as if they have a clue, then yes, yes I do.

Were they called the San Francisco Metropolitan Area Niners like you suggested the area was called? Total bullshit argument. You tried to differentiate the areas as separate with your SF and SJ metro argument and I correctly pointed out how wrong you are. If you ask people in SJ or Santa Clara if they are in the Bay Area, they say yes. It's one huge metropolitan area.

Everyone knows what the Bay area is.

Does a person who lives in San Jose consider themselves part of San Francisco?

Saying SF and SJ are one big metro area is like saying that New York and Philadelphia are one big metro area.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not nearly as common when people have to refer to a smaller city because people don't know where the larger city is.

The Bay area is unique in that San Fran is really the grandfather of the west coast cities so it has the most name cachet. San Jose is a very young city that very few Californians know much about.

I think Californians know San Jose and the surrounding area but people outside of California might not so much. But the entire area is pretty new. I still remember as a kid the area being almost all farmland. I went to the Great America amusement park when it first opened and there wasn't much around it then.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Californians know San Jose and the surrounding area but people outside of California might not so much. But the entire area is pretty new. I still remember as a kid the area being almost all farmland. I went to the Great America amusement park when it first opened and there wasn't much around it then.

My wife spent her teenage years in San Jose, and I don't believe she has ever claimed to have been from "the Bay Area," even though the actual SF Bay does reach down pretty close to SJ.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah. Californians likely know where San Jose is.

But if you asked the average American where San Jose is, I bet you wouldn't have too many that would be able to find it on a map.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife spent her teenage years in San Jose, and I don't believe she has ever claimed to have been from "the Bay Area," even though the actual SF Bay does reach down pretty close to SJ.
Weird. Almost everyone here says they're from the Bay now, whether they are in the North, East, South or Peninsula. Even as far as South County (Gilroy, Morgan Hill) will say "Bay Area".

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird. Almost everyone here says they're from the Bay now, whether they are in the North, East, South or Peninsula. Even as far as South County (Gilroy, Morgan Hill) will say "Bay Area".

Well, she was born an East Coaster, that probably explains it.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if I lived in Gilroy, I would claim to be from Monterrey. Way cooler.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL, during the early 2000s housing boom, developers started referring to Tracy as " inland Bay Area " in their promotional materials. It actually gets quite ridiculous.