• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2014 Recruiting Target List

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Noah Brown appearing unlikely, are there any other RB's that VT is making a run at?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw so excited to see Taylor picked us yesterday. We have 5 OL from mauling country that Grimes can groom. This class doesn't have the star power we were hoping for but it fills the needs that will get us winning games.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Noah Brown appearing unlikely, are there any other RB's that VT is making a run at?

FWIW, I think Brown is being recruited (by VT and most schools) as a WR. Shai McKenzie has all but eliminated VT and the other guys are long shots. I believe VT may be content on MW being the only RB taken this year w/ DJ Reid prepping.

Vinnie Lowe (Chesapeake, VA) is one to keep an eye on. A (message board) fan favorite who would probably commit to VT on the spot. I think his size (5'8" 170) hurts him a bit..dude is a burner and straight up baller. Hopefully he at least gets a greyshirt opportunity. I think having RBs like he and JC Coleman (situational guys) in the arsenal is a good thing and not a wasted scholly.

Vincent Lowe

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw so excited to see Taylor picked us yesterday. We have 5 OL from mauling country that Grimes can groom. This class doesn't have the star power we were hoping for but it fills the needs that will get us winning games.

From what I have seen on the limited film, I bet 2 or 3 of these guys could have been ranked as a 4 star recruit had they attended more of the regional/national camps. I think defensive players and skill players steal all the thunder in the recruiting rankings.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have seen on the limited film, I bet 2 or 3 of these guys could have been ranked as a 4 star recruit had they attended more of the regional/national camps. I think defensive players and skill players steal all the thunder in the recruiting rankings.

i.e., everyone but OL :) I agree that if there is one position where you especially need to look past recruiting rankings, it's OL. Very solid OL class here.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I agree. These are very solid players, and the OL is also about teamwork. Grimes has the raw material to work with, so now it's up to him to develop it. It may take a while, but I think he'll get there.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we get two LBs, two DTs, two WRs, one DB, one TE and a possible grayshirt linemen and wideout/DT and finish at 23-25.

LB-Lee, Minor, Payton
DT-Walker, Nnadi
WR-Brown, Phillips
DB-Simmons
TE-Izzo

(GS) Payton, Sobczak, Fenner/Osterhage

:hope:

Pretty unrealistic that we would end up with all of the guys...but wouldn't that be something..

Last edited by a moderator:

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LB-Lee, Minor, Payton
DT-Walker, Nnadi
WR-Brown, Phillips
DB-Simmons
TE-Izzo

Pretty unrealistic that we would end up with all of the guys...but wouldn't that be something..

According to 247, Brandon Lee has named a top 5 of Louisville, California, Oregon, Northwestern and Virginia Tech. But there are more recent predictions for Louisville though.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we get two LBs, two DTs, two WRs, one DB, one TE and a possible grayshirt linemen and wideout/DT and finish at 23-25.

What about the three FUMA players? If they all come in Jan, same class, right?

That would put us at 18 right now for 2013.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so they will count toward the 2013 class. Also Pfaff will count against that class. I also expect some more attrition.

:faint2:

Anyone in particular who you are referring to or are you just predicting a player or two based on past years?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LB-Lee, Minor, Payton
DT-Walker, Nnadi
WR-Brown, Phillips
DB-Simmons
TE-Izzo

Sobczak is committed to JMU. I would love the haul you list above, but I don't think we'll get all those guys.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, so they will count toward the 2013 class. Also Pfaff will count against that class. I also expect some more attrition.

if Fisher (or anyone else) has to prep the whole year, they would end up counting against 2014, right? But I'm not worried we'll go over 25 for the year. The 85 number is a more legitimate concern, but the coaches know how to manage that.

JPCVT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landing both Minor and Lee at LB would make up for how terrible linebacker recruiting has been over the last few years

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landing both Minor and Lee at LB would make up for how terrible linebacker recruiting has been over the last few years

Agreed! Getting both of those guys, if we could somehow swing that, would be awesome. Not to say I'm unhappy with some great gets like Clarke and the Vandyke brothers, but there just aren't enough of them.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sobczak is committed to JMU.

Yes he is...but I think he has already been offered a greyshirt. Why wouldn't he take that over JMU and the chance to play with his buddy.

I would love the haul you list above, but I don't think we'll get all those guys.

Yeah, I am holding out hope for the Jersey guys and Lee..but don't think they will happen. Hope I am dead wrong. The others are very good possibilities though. Really hoping that the staff can close on some guys at the end. Nnadi, Walker, and Minor are the 3 most crucial guys left on teh board IMO because they are in-state guys. VT has sucked it up so far in VA and only has 2 in the 247 Top 10 (and they are ranked 9 and 10) while missing on (really) 4 5-star guys.

I am starting to wonder if the NFL success of VT linebackers is starting to hurt them when recruiting these guys. Even the great ones in the last 10-15 years haven't been largely successful in the league. Is it because there are alot of tweeners..they are undersized...too slow???