• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2014 Recruiting Target List

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's a way to get Williams on the field when he's otherwise behind on the depth chart, I could see the coaches slotting him at FB (like they did with Oglesby). But I'm sure he's being recruited as a TB.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
FB? He's not THAT stiff. He's no more of a FB prospect than Darren Evans was who had a similar running style

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if we can land Green or Smoke in the 2013 class we will have RBs for the next 6 years lined up

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a shot at Green realistically? We have taken a few guys from his HS in the past

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Shane could deliver Lattimore to Columbia SC, he can deliver Green to Blacksburg, IMO. I am not saying that he will, just that he has a shot.

Shane recruited Lattimore? Rivals indicates the lead recruiters at SC were Lawing and Graham.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will not land smoke

I learned long ago, never speak in absolutes, unless you want to be absolutely wrong eventually.

I still hold out a chance that he comes to Tech, although a slimming one.

His words upon getting the tech offer speaks volumes to me, and I don't put any credence in the Bayside UVA pipeline BS.

Its more of a London magic show, replete with obfuscation and Obama like dreams, that never come true.

If talk of Tech joining the SEC increases prior to signing day, Smoke is definitely not stupid because his HS coach likes UVA, and smoke is not stupid because London has him under a spell. and smoke's mama is definitely not stupid, when a real college football power comes knocking.

Special J

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I learned long ago, never speak in absolutes, unless you want to be absolutely wrong eventually.

I still hold out a chance that he comes to Tech, although a slimming one.

His words upon getting the tech offer speaks volumes to me, and I don't put any credence in the Bayside UVA pipeline BS.

Its more of a London magic show, replete with obfuscation and Obama like dreams, that never come true.

If talk of Tech joining the SEC increases prior to signing day, Smoke is definitely not stupid because his HS coach likes UVA, and smoke is not stupid because London has him under a spell. and smoke's mama is definitely not stupid, when a real college football power comes knocking.

That being said....we have a better chance with Green. But this should be on the 2013 board

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said....we have a better chance with Green. But this should be on the 2013 board

Dang, another board cop. DUH.

I responded to this here, because it was originally posted here.

Thanks for the unnecessary bitch slap.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion but I think you should put a little in it.

I hear ya, but I attribute much of it to wanting to play with buddies from HS, or simply wanting to get a first class diploma, from one of the top 20 colleges in the country. That makes far more sense to me then some magical pipeline between the two, which overrides the athletes better judgement and wishes, which seems to be the implication.

The kid wants to go to UVA for a reason, and thats more than fine with me.

To assert that there is something untoward between the HS coach and UVA, that forces the athlete to choose UVA over say, VT, is what I take issue with.

UVA is a great school. Why cant they want to go there for that reason alone? How many athletes on the VT football team will really make a career out of pro football? Maybe 5 a year, tops?

The other sixty might simply fancy a southern Ivy League edu at UVA as being worthy of something.

Again, I dont buy the pipeline BS. Its just an excuse, and a bad one IMO.

There are far too many other real things making a player choose UVA, and we dont need to be dreaming up anything mystical like a pipeline.

I also put much credence in the athletes own words, on how much they seem to be in love with London. He is indeed a pied piper.

He has a public image that I bet is far from reality. Ive seen him under pressure, and he goes off pretty damn good. He blows smoke up their asses with a smile.

Between the athletes own choice, his desire to get a valuable diploma, his desire to play with friends, influence of his parents, his peers, etc, thats really all I need to know about an athletes college choice.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to mention, I also think that a player from the 757, who might not care where he plays, because he isnt pro material and he has no leanings one way or the other to UVA or VT, might simply select UVA so that the family can go to hooville to watch games, which is a day trip, while BBurg is an overnighter.

Stupid shit like this might actually sway a players choice of UVA over VT.

Pipelines are for oil.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
...I don't put any credence in the Bayside UVA pipeline BS.

Last seven verbals from Bayside:

2012 WR Anthony Cooper Virginia
2011 DB Demetrious Nicholson Virginia
2011 DE Jeton Beavers East Carolina
2010 LB Henry Coley Virginia
2008 QB E.J. Manuel Florida State
2008 DE Tory Williams Norfolk State
2008 DB Marquel Thomas Youngstown State

Bayside's football coach is Darnell Moore....he's been the head coach at Bayside for 8 years.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya, but I attribute much of it to wanting to play with buddies from HS, or simply wanting to get a first class diploma, from one of the top 20 colleges in the country. That makes far more sense to me then some magical pipeline between the two, which overrides the athletes better judgement and wishes, which seems to be the implication.

The kid wants to go to UVA for a reason, and thats more than fine with me.

To assert that there is something untoward between the HS coach and UVA, that forces the athlete to choose UVA over say, VT, is what I take issue with.

UVA is a great school. Why cant they want to go there for that reason alone? How many athletes on the VT football team will really make a career out of pro football? Maybe 5 a year, tops?

The other sixty might simply fancy a southern Ivy League edu at UVA as being worthy of something.

Again, I dont buy the pipeline BS. Its just an excuse, and a bad one IMO.

There are far too many other real things making a player choose UVA, and we dont need to be dreaming up anything mystical like a pipeline.

I also put much credence in the athletes own words, on how much they seem to be in love with London. He is indeed a pied piper.

He has a public image that I bet is far from reality. Ive seen him under pressure, and he goes off pretty damn good. He blows smoke up their asses with a smile.

Between the athletes own choice, his desire to get a valuable diploma, his desire to play with friends, influence of his parents, his peers, etc, thats really all I need to know about an athletes college choice.

girlsassylarge.gif

Just fuckin with ya. But seriously that was quite the rant.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Its not about "forcing" them, its about all the positive reinforcement that these guys hear about UVA on a daily basis. Keep in mind that these guys are 14-19yo and most prob look up to their coach as much as anyone in their lives, i dont think its that far fetched to think a coach could steer a guy toward one school or another. Actually its not far fetched its a fact and it happens at every school across the country.

IMO,The majority of the stuff these kids say is just regurgitated stuff that they hear from other kids, recruiters, HS coaches, the media, etc etc. Another example of how kids can be "steered" into loving london.

both big factors in establishing a "pipeline" IMO.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last seven verbals from Bayside:

2012 WR Anthony Cooper Virginia
2011 DB Demetrious Nicholson Virginia
2011 DE Jeton Beavers East Carolina
2010 LB Henry Coley Virginia
2008 QB E.J. Manuel Florida State
2008 DE Tory Williams Norfolk State
2008 DB Marquel Thomas Youngstown State

Bayside's football coach is Darnell Moore....he's been the head coach at Bayside for 8 years.

TAE, are you telling me that three recruits makes a pipeline?

So, you have discounted any possibility that Nicholson was friends with Coley? And Cooper was friends with both Nicholson and Coley?

Do you project any of those three to the pros? Could it be that they simply would be lots prouder of a UVA diploma over a VT diploma? Because, that might be the only remnant of their college careers. Certainly, that southern Ivy diploma opens lots more doors over the course of a lifetime.

Any chance that moms and pops simply wanted to drive up 64 to see junior play, vice driving across the whole state and getting a room in BBurg?

Should I also infer that FL State, Norf State, and Youngstown State have mini pipelines to Bayside, because a kid chose to go there, for whatever reason, instead of VT?

Does anyone really think that London isn't a great recruiter? He tells them what they want to hear, and every kid loves to hear that, whether realistic or not. They find out later, and the pied piper will lose his magic pipe in a couple of years, I predict.

We got four WRs on our 2012 list. Losing Cooper to UVA, no biggie.

We lost one WR to MD, Penn St, TX, ND, Minn, Temple, and 2 to USCe.

Does anyone know if Kevin Blanding was looked at by UVA and VT? I dont believe he was, and I wonder what kind of experience Kevin had with both UVA and VT. Don't you think that there might be something to whatever Kevin experienced that will affect his son Quin with his decision making?

The point is, lots of stuff goes into a kids decision. Any pipeline talk is really superfluous, and overlooks the 18 years of influence that the kid has experienced up to that point.

FWIW, I strongly encouraged two of my players to go to Hofstra (where they both had offers), and they were both interested in pre med. One went to Georgetown, and one to Davidson. Both of those schools were their childhood dream schools, even though not pre med giants. That experience is what was the norm for my players. They knew where they were going before they ever got to me.