• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2014 Recruiting Target List

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pickup with Williams. Great start to '14 I agree. Need to get alot of VA kids next year...

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Haha it was just embedded... Don't know what happened there. I definitely like how physical he is. His speed and agility don't pop out to me, but seeing that he is only a sophomore and already running guys over, I'll assume that he'll be a monster by the time he's 18.

That was my analysis as well but figured since there was a little negativity in it, I'd better not say

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andy Bitter has posted an article about Marshawn with two highlight videos....

Hampton running back Marshawn Williams commits to Hokies for '14

QUOTE:

Virginia Tech did more work in its 2014 recruiting class Tuesday, adding a commitment from Hampton running back Marshawn Williams.

The 5-foot-11, 208-pound Williams plays both running back and linebacker for the Crabbers, but Hampton coach Mike Smith thinks he'll play tailback in college.

What stands out most for Williams?

"I think size, speed, intensity," said Smith, who compared Williams to fast, powerful running backs of the past like Marcus Dupree and Ricky Williams. "He's a tremendous looking kid for a sophomore. ... He's quite a specimen.

"Tremendous kid. Great character. Great study habits. A real team person. You just couldn't give him enough accolades."

The Hokies were his first offer in February. Asked who else the running back considered, Smith laughed, before responding, "No one. That's been his dream. He just loved Virginia Tech."

Williams ran for about 600 yards and 13 touchdowns last year as a sophomore, filling in because of injuries and sharing duties. He'll handle tailback duties next year in the same backfield as '13 Tech commit Deon Newsome, who is expected to play some quarterback.

Curt Newsome was Williams' primary recruiter.

Williams is the Hokies' second commitment for 2014, joining defensive end Vincent Mihota from Massaponax High in Fredericksburg. Virginia Tech has 11 commitments in its 2013 class.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am pumped for the pick up of Williams. He was a major VT lean so it is not a surprise that he committed, but for him to commit this early speaks volumes for VT and his visit over the weekend. I have not gotten a chance to see Hampton play in person but I did catch a lot of their replay/clips on Cox 11 here in Newport News and Juice can flat out ball. By the time he is a senior he will be one of the top players in the state (in a very loaded 2014 class). Don't think that there is not a connection to this commitment and the Watford situation at UVA either, thank you Mike Smith!

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am pumped for the pick up of Williams. He was a major VT lean so it is not a surprise that he committed, but for him to commit this early speaks volumes for VT and his visit over the weekend. I have not gotten a chance to see Hampton play in person but I did catch a lot of their replay/clips on Cox 11 here in Newport News and Juice can flat out ball. By the time he is a senior he will be one of the top players in the state (in a very loaded 2014 class). Don't think that there is not a connection to this commitment and the Watford situation at UVA either, thank you Mike Smith!

Maybe you're right, but "it's been his dream" reads to me like the young man's own decision, independent of school history or Watford.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe its a little both. Hampton isn't pleased with the Pied Piper. Would be pressed to say they are even welcome to roam the halls of Hampton High...

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great looking kid. I think 4.5 might be a little exaggerated at this point, but there's still plenty of time for strength and form training. He has the leverage of a FB/MLB.

iv_hokie12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like we can play him at FB and bring back the FB dive.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He won't be playing any fullback....he's a tailback all the way. We rarely offer scholies to fullbacks any more...they usually walk on and earn a scholie later.

As far as not having any other offers, 1. as a rising junior he's a 2014 recruit, and 2. doesn't sound like he wanted any other offers.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He won't be playing any fullback....he's a tailback all the way. We rarely offer scholies to fullbacks any more...they usually walk on and earn a scholie later.

As far as not having any other offers, 1. as a rising junior he's a 2014 recruit, and 2. doesn't sound like he wanted any other offers.

Mike Alstott was 6'1", 248 with good hands; a tailback in a fullback's body, with a LB's mentality. I'd be very happy to have the second coming on the roster.

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it safe to say that CJ Reavis at this point is a Hokie lean??

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is young. Alabama, Oregon,and a few others visited a lot over the evaluate period. He would be a national recruit by his senior year

Im sure teams like Bama and Oregon will not let his commitment stop them from offering!! but he seems solid plenty of potential.. needs to get better at making moves in the open field if he does I'd say he will rise to a top 100 player

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Alstott was 6'1", 248 with good hands; a tailback in a fullback's body, with a LB's mentality. I'd be very happy to have the second coming on the roster.

I'd be happy with that, too. The problem is Tech no longer uses the fullback position enough to justify offering a scholie to one straight out of high school. Now, if a kid walks on, develops physically while playing STs and some fullback, then he has a chance to earn a scholarship. The last really good fullback to play for Tech who was a walkon initially was Jarrett Ferguson. He did well enough to get drafted in 2002.

But, the last two guys to earn scholies recently as fullbacks were former walkons Martin Scales and Joey Phillips. Both were R-Juniors last year when they earned their scholarships, primarily for their play on special teams. They will play their last year for Tech in 2012. Scales was been moved to tailback to provide a bigger option for short yardage and goal-line situations.