• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Va Tech basketball

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this was a shocker to me. where do we go from here? im very worried that we will downgrade rather than upgrade.

If we hire someone who knows how to to design and teach an offensive play, I would call it an upgrade.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, VT is going to have a hard time getting a coach on the rise right now considering that your AD will be retired in 2 years or less. I think VT's new coach will be someone who already has ties to the program, either a former player or an asst. coach.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Steve Smith, would he leave Oak Hill Academy? I have no idea how he would coach at the college level, but I bet he could recruit pretty well. But, i think it would be difficult for VT to upgrade in such a short amount of time. But then again, Maryland and maybe NC State hired their coaches on short notice if i remember right

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
IMO, VT is going to have a hard time getting a coach on the rise right now considering that your AD will be retired in 2 years or less. I think VT's new coach will be someone who already has ties to the program, either a former player or an asst. coach.

That's certainly a possibility.

Though this is a pretty good opportunity in the ACC with a rising program. It might have some appeal externally as well.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the timeline of how quickly Weaver fired Greenberg, methinks he already has his replacement lined up or at least a handful of interested candidates. Then again, it is Jim Weaver. He's not the brightest bulb. Part of me thinks all the assistants saw this coming and that's the reason they jumped ship. Maybe Seth knew too and is just acting surprised to save face. Afterall, the only way he gets his buyout is if he's fired. Who knows.

All I know is I'll be disappointed if we end up with some no name candidate. I'd at least like to have an assistant tied to a successful coach/program.

BTW, who's taking bets on Greenberg working for ESPN next year?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think it had gotten to the point to were almost anyone was better than Seth. I dont follow college bball close enough to start naming possible replacements but I think VT could be an attractive spot for a young up and coming coach, especially if Weaver is willing to invest a little more $. Common knowledge would lead me to believe that since we are "happy in the ACC as a University" and that we have devoted all that money to the practice facility that the powers that be would be interested in investing in someone who can get us to the next level.

had to take a family member to the doctor today in Staunton and wasnt around a computer all day, so i had no idea about greenberg or Parker. We were in the doctors office from noon til around 4pm i come out to the car and have 20+ missed calls and 104 text messages. Everything from Weaver retiring to BF leaving, a lot easier on the nerves just finding out without speculation haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He can have a seat right next to Dickey V, Digger and all the other yahoos for all I care.

+1.

I've never understood why SG could never recruit and sign a true big man and develop depth at that position. We could have made some serious runs over the past few years with a true 6'10" or 7-footer.

And why did we have all of those injuries? What kind of S&C program did we have in the off-season?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virginia Tech was very enthusiastic about firing Seth Greenberg | The Dagger: College Basketball Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Weaver emphasized he saw a family atmosphere in other segments of the Virginia Tech athletic department that did not exist in Greenberg's program but chose not to elaborate because he did not want "to throw Coach Greenberg under the bus

i agree with that article. it is embarrassing how weaver handled all of this. seth deserved better in terms of how this was all handled.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in a personal dream world of mine that would never ever happen but would be fun to see, Mike D'Antoni. He has no interest in college as far as I know but how fun would it be to sit in Cassell and watch guys run and gun in his 7 Seconds or Less offense? (For those that don't know what that is, think of it as basketball's version of Oregon's football offense).
Yeah and watch guys play no D on the other side of the court? No thanks.

I have to admit I was a big Greenberg homer and went to all his chalk talks. However, even I saw the writing on the wall for his firing in the next year. I am pretty appalled by the lack of class and timing Weaver pulled this off with. If he was going to fire Greenberg, he should have done it right after the season ended so that we could have grabbed better coaches. He should have given Greenberg better notice. So stupid a reporter was first to know and Greenberg hadn't been given any notice until 2 and half hours before the press conference. They knew a week ago they were going to fire him.

All the players seem pretty upset over this. It would suck if we lost players because we already have 2 scholarships available. We absolutely need a 2 and probably another post player.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i agree with that article. it is embarrassing how weaver handled all of this. seth deserved better in terms of how this was all handled.

This article by Dana O'Neil on ESPN sums up how I feel about it: Virginia Tech Hokies coach Seth Greenberg fired after nine seasons - ESPN

I don't find it embarrassing how Seth was let go, but it could have been handled better. Still, VT did not string him along and made a decision they thought was best for their program after a strange situation with all the assistants leaving.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like both Marshall Wood and Montrezl Harrell are thinking about decommiting. Both are in shock about the firing. If we lose Harrell, I am going to be pissed.

I don't think any of the current guys will transfer though. I think they all stay put. It would suck if Green transfer though.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I suppose there's no real good way to fire someone. Just get it done and move on.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like both Marshall Wood and Montrezl Harrell are thinking about decommiting. Both are in shock about the firing. If we lose Harrell, I am going to be pissed.

I don't think any of the current guys will transfer though. I think they all stay put. It would suck if Green transfer though.

Both have signed LOIs...it's going to be difficult for them to break that.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose there's no real good way to fire someone. Just get it done and move on.
Weaver just summed up how NOT to fire someone:
-Pledge support for the coach after the season ends
-Give the coach 2 and a half hours notice he is being fired before hosting a press conference, despite the decision being made a week ago
-Let a reporter find out before the coach being fired does
-Fire a coach a month and half after the season ended so that replacement will be harder to find

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Weaver just summed up how NOT to fire someone:
-Pledge support for the coach after the season ends
-Give the coach 2 and a half hours notice he is being fired before hosting a press conference, despite the decision being made a week ago
-Let a reporter find out before the coach being fired does
-Fire a coach a month and half after the season ended so that replacement will be harder to find

Oh, well there's that.

The biggest thing was letting the news slip out to twitter before telling Greenberg. That was a bit lame.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People can believe what they want, but Greenberg could not coach basketball. Plain and simple. There is a reason he did well at ESPN; his job required charisma and the bare minimum of analysis/knowledge. He had that. He does not have the smarts to make adjustments on the fly or out-gameplan another team. I'm also somewhat convinced that the injuries that our team has endured can be attributed to him. Instead of coaching our players and teaching them plays, he runs them ragged and makes them susceptible to getting hurt.

He may have been perceived as a good recruiter, but with our place in the ACC, the talent in-state/nearby, and our upgraded facilities, you'd have to be pathetic to not land at least some good players. Furthermore, ESPN awards over 100 4*'s each year in basketball and most schools take 3 players a year on average, if that. Is it actually an achievement if we land a 4* player considering how many there are to be had?

I don't necessarily agree with the timing and execution, but he had to go. While he may have helped our team gain some notoriety, the progression of our program stopped 3 years ago and he is not fit for getting us back on track. All of this being said, I am not convinced that a new coach will have us in a better position 7 months from now than Greenberg would. I hope we can land someone good, but I wouldn't put money on it.

bharm15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
im pretty sure recruits can decommit if the coach leaves or is fired even if they have signed their LOI